Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember what the Blue Hole on the grounds of University of Incarnate Word looked like before 1989?

I was reading that the rim was added in 1989. It was made to protect people from falling in. I don't think it's adding much protection since anyone could jump in if they wanted. They would really need to have an iron gate covering over the top, and I don't see why they don't.

But how was it before 1989? Was it just a big hole that people sometimes fell into? Or was there some kind of covering?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,643 times
I'm not sure what it looked like prior to 1989, but have been there many times from 2002 on.

And while yes you could jump in - I don't really think anyone would do so on purpose. There are some really sharp rocks down in there as I recall from the one summer it dried up and some friends of mine who were archeology students went down in there to poke around, with their professor.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM

Some people are crazy. This kid did it barefoot.

YouTube - Ashtin at the Blue Hole

Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 AM

In some ways it seems less safe now because the fall is so much higher.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In some ways it seems less safe now because the fall is so much higher.

Ozzy....have you been out there when the water level is down? You should go now and take a look. It appears dry because the aquifer is so low that it's not forcing water out of it like a natural spring.

It's really not as deep as it looks with water in it. Yes, someone could fall in it, but they would almost have to be pushed or be drunk. Like Dakota mentioned, the walls are natural rock formations and it's jagged and obstructed. It's not smooth and deep like a well.

From what I've read, the concrete perimeter around it was installed very early in the 1900s to contain the water. When that property belonged to George Brackenrigde, the water level was much higher and it would often shoot up like a geyser. They did not install a cover because they couldn't predict when the water would overflow.

I doubt we'll ever see it in that state again.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
That video reminds me of my brother and me when we were kids - we used to crawl through the culvert that went under the road. It was fun when it was dry but even more fun when it was rainy!

We told my mom about doing that when we were in our 20s. She about died. She had NO idea we used to do that. No kiddin', Mom - you would've said it was too dangerous!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Ozzy....have you been out there when the water level is down? You should go now and take a look. It appears dry because the aquifer is so low that it's not forcing water out of it like a natural spring.

It's really not as deep as it looks with water in it. Yes, someone could fall in it, but they would almost have to be pushed or be drunk. Like Dakota mentioned, the walls are natural rock formations and it's jagged and obstructed. It's not smooth and deep like a well.

From what I've read, the concrete perimeter around it was installed very early in the 1900s to contain the water. When that property belonged to George Brackenrigde, the water level was much higher and it would often shoot up like a geyser. They did not install a cover because they couldn't predict when the water would overflow.

I doubt we'll ever see it in that state again.
No, I've seen it recently. It *is* dry right now because the Aquifer is way below the level at which is needed for it to flow. But it's deep enough that if you jumped in it might be difficult to climb back out.

The video of the kid swimming shows that a person could crawl through that little opening. (I posted the video after I asked my question.) I couldn't tell how big that opening was.

As far as a covering interfering with overflow, not at all. All they would need would be some kind of simple iron gating (like I already mentioned) to lay over it. Then it wouldn't matter if it overflowed or not.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:03 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No, I've seen it recently. It *is* dry right now because the Aquifer is way below the level at which is needed for it to flow. But it's deep enough that if you jumped in it might be difficult to climb back out.

The video of the kid swimming shows that a person could crawl through that little opening. (I posted the video after I asked my question.) I couldn't tell how big that opening was.

As far as a covering interfering with overflow, not at all. All they would need would be some kind of simple iron gating (like I already mentioned) to lay over it. Then it wouldn't matter if it overflowed or not.
I disagree with caging off the Blue Hole in the name of safety. It would lessen the charm/aesthetics of it's current state today. Perhaps they should place a sign advising against jumping in instead.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:29 PM

78 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I disagree with caging off the Blue Hole in the name of safety. It would lessen the charm/aesthetics of it's current state today.
I agree with ya on that one.

Blue Hole and the immediate surrounding area is the heart of what the Coahuiltecans once called 'Yanaguana'.

The plaque on the cement rim of Blue Hole reads—

"The historic source spring of the San Antonio River, San Antonio Spring has for centuries provided millions of gallons of crystal clear spring water daily to generations of Native Americans and early Texas Settlers. The San Antonio River begins just south of this point, near the campus footbridge, where the Olmos Creek and the San Antonio Spring flow come together and, supplemented by hundreds of smaller springs along the way, begins the journey to the Gulf of Mexico.

At one time the daily flow from the San Antonio spring was aid to be so strong at times that it produced a geyser many feet into the air. In the 19th century banker, philanthropist George Washington Brackenridge purchased this property and established the first San Antonio Water Works. The concrete rim around this spring, which goes deep underground to the southern boundary of the Edwards Aquifer in the Olmos Basin, was added by Brackenridge to control the water flow. In time, however, the addition of wells and pumps south of the Brackenridge property made the Water Works less than lucrative. These wells and pumps also reduced the natural spring flow.

The University added the current walkway to the Spring,and the natural limestone ledge in 1989. This made the spring more available to the campus and general community without the danger of accidentally falling into it. The stones used, with the natural indentations in the limestone, are excellent examples of the limestone formation which is the Edwards Aquifer, San Antonio's sole source of pure drinking water. In recent years San Antonio Spring is frequently dry, except after heavy rains. Natural flow begins when the aquifer water table is around 676 feet above sea level.

This source of pure water attracted settlers from prehistoric and historic times, and these people have left rich archaeological resources for future study. The San Antonio Spring, Brackenridge Villa, and the five distinct Texas Archaeological Landmarks west of the spot are on the National Register of Historic Places as the Source of the River Archaeological District. These sites are protected by State and Federal law, with hefty fines and penalties for tampering with protected sites and/or removing pre-historic or historic artifacts. Look, please, and enjoy it as generations have done before you, but leave it as you found it for generations yet to come."

Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer observing these things in the safest manner possible. Not to mention, I tend to get "compulsory" feelings around dangerous places like this, so I have to remove myself away from the area as quickly as possible. Lest I do something dangerous like jump in. And I don't think most people would survive the jump during the dry season. (I estimate it's close to 20 feet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio