Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM

30 posts, read 64,851 times

Advertisements

It seems, whenever there is an Olympian in our midst we see it on TV, hear it on the radio, and people talk about it. Has anybody in Texas ever heard of DeafLympics?? I am hearing, and I should have known about DeafLympics because I should have seen it on the news or in the paper or something. Should I have had to go to DeafChat at Starbucks at the Quarry to find out DeafLympics existed? No, but on the other hand, I’m glad I did! Now I can say I’ve met a DeafLympian! Have you?

One of our own, Jerilyn Keller from San Antonio, is in Taiwan! This is her 4th DeafLympics, with 2 gold, 2 silver, and 3 bronze in Deaflympic career. Jerilyn is a member of Team USA Women's Bowling team. Read more about Jerilynn here: WhispersInMotion.com

The 21st DeafLympics is being held in Taipei, Taiwan, right now! Opening ceremonies were held September 5th, and they were as beautiful as any I've ever seen! Here is one of my favorites - FROM YOUTUBE! It is performed by 63 deaf dancers from China's Disabled People Performing Art Troupe! This is absolutely beautiful and intriguing! Don't forget to turn on your sound!

Let’s get with the program! Local TV News channels and newspapers should be carrying SOMETHING about this event. Does being deaf or hearing make that much of a difference? I don’t think so. I’ve heard their laughter, seen their smiles and felt their frustration. No, I think we’re on exactly the same level, they’re just getting the raw end of the deal!

P.S. 2 Gold - 1 Bronze for U. S. A. so far! Read more here! (http://deafnation.com/deaflympicstv - broken link)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_R3C04hbs"[/URL]

Last edited by melowout; 09-07-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio