Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 PM

9 posts, read 23,250 times

Advertisements

My front and back yard are essentially dead. There is little to no grass. I know ZERO about maintaining a yard. I have a yard man who comes around about once a month to mow the grass but I haven't needed him in probably 5 months since my grass is dead. I tried to get him to help me with getting the grass to grow but he doesn't seem to know how to do that. I think he only cuts grass. I have dead bushes that need to be removed. I really need a yard miracle. I live in an average neighborhood with an average size yard. Considering I'd like to sell my house in a year from now, I'd like to actually have a yard that looks nice. Any suggestions on who to call and how much it will cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,954,340 times
Growing a lush lawn from dead grass in a year is pretty optimistic, IMHO. However, if you're serious and don't mind a lot of work (if you do it yourself) or a lot of money (if you pay someone to do it), a fairly respectable yard can be cultivated.

The first thing I'd suggest is to purchase a ton (or several) of topsoil (good quality--no rocks and weed-free) and spread it at a depth of no less than 2-3 inches all over your yard. Then purchase a hardy sod (bermuda or zoysha) and prepare to pay through the nose for watering (at least 3 times per week--5 if you're serious).

Do this in the early spring and fertilize early-to-mid fall. Depending on type of grass, you'll need to be careful about mowing during the summer months. (Don't let it get too long and you'll minimize the risk of scalping...but don't keep it too short or you'll run the risk of burning the grass near the bottom.)

Assuming you've kept things alive through the summer and winter, a good fertilization during the middle of spring (once frost is a distant memory) and a fair amount of watering (3 times per week) will get the lawn prepared for a dry summer. Just be sure to water at least once each week (SAWS permitting) and keep a close eye on weeds--they can really damage your lawn even if they don't spread.

I'm not a professional--just someone who has had to contend with keeping things alive in this area (quite different in the DC area).

--Dim

Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,568,652 times
GardenSATX.com | San Antonio Landscape Company: Xeriscapes, Waterfalls, Patios, Decks, Rivers & More!

I have found some wonderful information here.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,258,959 times
now wheres reallybigshoe when you actually need him????

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 23,250 times
I was wondering about those patches of lawn people put down. The instant lawn? Is it a reality or a myth?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,395,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeandbooks View Post
I was wondering about those patches of lawn people put down. The instant lawn? Is it a reality or a myth?
Depends, do you believe in leprechauns and unicorns?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,192,180 times
They don't sell dirt by the pound, they sell it by the cubic yard. A cubic yard is three feet square and three feet high. A cubic yard of dirt is a lot of dirt.

So you can divide that three feet by three feet square from the top down by how thick you want to add to the yard and that will tell you how many cubic yards you need to cover your whole yard.

I'd suggest using sand and not dirt... It's pretty hard to get weed free dirt no matter what they tell you...I learned that the hard way...It took me YEARS to get rid of the weeds in my yard..

Spread about one inch of sand over your yard. You can just sprig the yard and that is much cheaper than covering the whole yard with grass. And It should not take that long to spread out and cover the full yard. Just keep the sprigs watered... it took about six months for our yard front and back to be fully covered.

Good luck....

Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,978,338 times
We're in a severe drought and restricted to watering once a week unless it's done by hand. Unless you're willing to commit to hand watering for the foreseeable future, you can't expect your lawn to look much better than it does now.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,312,538 times
Hi Coffee/books....have you been in SA long? If you haven't, it important to know that we're a serious drought...worse than the usual that pops up every 4-5 years or so. Right now is probably the worst time to put money in your landscaping. We're under severe watering restrictions, which would limit your watering needs. There are provisions for new plantings, but that would not even be enough for a whole lawn.

Lawns are looking pretty awful this summer....even in the best tended areas. If it makes you feel any better when you list your house, the competition probably won't look much better.

When it comes time to sell your house, just get rid of anything that's dead or dying. You might want to do a little landscaping around the entrance and have fresh potted flowers and greenery. Then offer a landscape allowance for re-sodding etc.

Dim offered some great advice, but as he said, it takes a good while to establish a healthy lawn. And yes, sod can be laid or rolled out to cover your entire yard, but it would be pricey for front and back. Many builders are now including sod and landscaping in new construction. (at least in the front) That would be your biggest competition.

PS...I'd fire your yard maintenance crew if they can't offer advice on watering etc.....plus...why is he mowing something that's dead?

Good luck!! we all need it right now.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM

4,298 posts, read 4,391,322 times
I'd go with a rock garden. Then the only thing you would have to do is spray weed killer now and then. Ain't nothing like a low maintenance yard. You can still have your cactus, yucca, and other desert type plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio