Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 AM

205 posts, read 600,796 times

Advertisements

If a tire pressure valve cap was missing on a tire and you drove it during a time of moderate (perhaps maybe heavy) rain, would water get in the tire?

Just wondering since SA rain can cause puddles of water in various places.

Is there an easy way to check if a tire has water in it? Any way to get water out of it (if there was any)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM

179 posts, read 466,423 times
No the air pressure in teh tire will keep the water out. That is how they check for leaks. They fill your tire up adn put it under soapy water, follow the bubbles and there you have your leak.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
Not having caps on your valves is a good way to get a "flat tire surprise" someday. You can buy a set of 4 replacement caps for under $1 at Wal-Mart or auto parts stores. IMO, there aren't many better ways to buy so much peace of mind for less than $1.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,456,109 times
Positive pressure in the tire keeps moisture out of course. Schroeder (sp) valves are pretty good about not leaking. When they do leak it's probably from debris getting into them. The little protective rubber caps are there to keep dirt and debris out of the valve stem and valve. They will not keep air from escaping. The only type of covers or caps that may seal are extensions made to extend through hubcaps. Far as I know!! Moisture in your tire is more likely the result of moisture in the air you fill your tire with. They have in line driers on some systems to remove the moisture! Not to say that there couldn't be special caps available now that will actually seal!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
did someone actually steal all four of them? that's just stupid crazy since they are only a couple bucks at most. and thanks for reminding me.. my wife's car has been missing one forever and I need to get a replacement.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,170,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
did someone actually steal all four of them? that's just stupid crazy since they are only a couple bucks at most. and thanks for reminding me.. my wife's car has been missing one forever and I need to get a replacement.
Yea, but it is just so much easier to steal them than to park the car, get out and walk into the store, find the covers and then (God forbid) PAY for them.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,263,980 times
true 'dat

I'm glad I can't comprehend how some people's minds work..

Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

205 posts, read 600,796 times
Thanks for the input. I've never lost a valve cap and really drove in the rain, over a puddle, etc. so wanted to get some input on that.

And I've never lost a valve cap myself when checking the pressure or have it get stolen, except I seem to have bad luck with car dealers. Buy a car or take it in for maintenance/oil change, and every so often, one tire has a missing valve cap after I get it back. Never recalled having that happen at non-dealer car repair facilities. Maybe the dealer mechanics are overworked, forgetful, or they like to "steal" our valve caps to save or make some $?

Rather than complain to the dealer (did once and but didn't seem to improve their service thereafter), just learned to deal with it and always have a pack of valve caps in the car in case one or more were missing.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM

391 posts, read 685,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
If a tire pressure valve cap was missing on a tire and you drove it during a time of moderate (perhaps maybe heavy) rain, would water get in the tire?
No. If that happened then a bigger concern would be air escaping.

If you lived in the land of ice 'n snow the possibility exists the valve
could ice up and become inoperable.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,720,562 times
The original post is three years old...still an interesting topic though.

I don't think those caps do much of anything at all. I don't use them on our bikes (because I am checking tire pressure on my bike every day and on the kids bikes every three days) and have never had a tire problem from not using them. We've never had a tire problem on our vehicles from not using them either...I have had a leaky tire valve but that didn't have to do with the little cap, the valve stem was somehow loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio