U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM

47 posts, read 236,591 times

Advertisements

THANKS Sarahd'smom!! I will start looking in those areas on craigslist!...

rd2007--I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for/anything up-to-date...do you have suggestions for searching these threads?

We are planning an in-person visit, but it will be short (just a week) so I need to narrow down the areas we are going to visit in person since we can't see them all

The heat--yes, I know! We've lived in hot hot places before, and hot+humid before...how are the bugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,331,103 times
Well, it really depends on what you are looking for. I don't know you from anyone else on here and I have no idea where you or your SO will be working, if you like city/suburbs/rural, how much you are looking to spend, what type of area do you want, trees or not, how many homes in a neighborhood? Alamo Ranch has plans to put in 15,000 homes, does that appeal to you? Do you want an older home, newer home? I mean, San Antonio is HUGE city. Good luck trying to find a specific neighborhood without more information.

I would also go to greatschools.net and that should give you information on the schools in the area. I LOVE where we live and the school nearby was rated exemplary this year. Again, I have no clue what you are looking for and I'm sorry to say, but your question was too vague, please provide more information.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM

71 posts, read 230,729 times
Dh and I are planning a move to SA as well and as far as our search, we will be looking in the Stone Oak area. Our kids are currently pre-school aged and schools will be very important to us. According to Greatschools.net there are quite a few schools ranked with 10's (The highest rank), compared to schools here in Las Vegas which are not ranked very high. We visited SA a few years ago and Dh lived there awhile back.

I do have to agree about the SA forum, it seems as people are not willing to help out or give info. Past threads give some info but it's nice to hear personal stories from people with similar needs. Las Vegas and Houston Forums are always up for giving lots of info and helping each other out. Once we move to SA I'll have to become an avid poster to give info to people looking to relocate.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

hi MeeShee! Its like you read my mind...

Stone Oak--thanks! When will you be moving there?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,268,236 times
I would say we are very helpful, but it helps if those seeking info do a little bit of the work themselves first. It is MUCH easier to give an opinion on specific neighborhoods. I see you mentioned stone oak and that will get you all sorts of opinions.. for me personally, you wouldn't catch me dead up there driving through that hell every day..

for searching, I put the word moving in and got 228 hits.. http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=15568734

Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM

71 posts, read 230,729 times
Other City Data Forums are very eager to help one locate a neighborhood that would suit them. As long as you give them info about jobs, price range, children, Etc. I do not mean to offend you, but I personally haven't posted on this forum based on the lack of friendliness. I am surprised to see that a thread about walmart frozen pizza has more posts than a thread about neighborhoods when this is a 'relocation forum'. JMO. I have done some research on my own, but that doesn't mean that I don't want opinions from those of you who already live there. You say you wouldn't be caught dead in Stone Oak, but you don't know anything about my situation and what is important to me. I understand that we all have likes/dislikes and they aren't always going to mesh, but that's why this is a forum, it's supposed to help us come to an informed decision in the end.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,682,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshee View Post
Other City Data Forums are very eager to help one locate a neighborhood that would suit them. As long as you give them info about jobs, price range, children, Etc. I do not mean to offend you, but I personally haven't posted on this forum based on the lack of friendliness. I am surprised to see that a thread about walmart frozen pizza has more posts than a thread about neighborhoods when this is a 'relocation forum'. JMO. I have done some research on my own, but that doesn't mean that I don't want opinions from those of you who already live there. You say you wouldn't be caught dead in Stone Oak, but you don't know anything about my situation and what is important to me. I understand that we all have likes/dislikes and they aren't always going to mesh, but that's why this is a forum, it's supposed to help us come to an informed decision in the end.
No, it's not. It's an information forum. That's why there is a sticky at the top regarding "relocation".

Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,963,676 times
i don't think it's that we are not willing to help --- it's that SA has had SO MANY transplants from other cities that this forum gets the same question multiple times a week --- after awhile it gets old typing the same info over and over and over again --- hence making the relocation sticky...

to answer your question in a nutshell --- NEISD and NISD are both very desirable districts --- both districts have capped schools so make sure to do your research with the actual school before moving there, as to whether your child will actually attend that school or the cluster school...

NISD is a larger district than NEISD and some schools in NISD are better than others...but the district as a whole is good ---

as far as traffic goes...you will get conflicting stories --- as a general consensus i think most will agree that the traffic is worse on the northeast side...stone oak/1604 and 281/1604 is very bad ... but at the same time traffic is getting very bad everywhere, it seems...bandera rd/1604 traffic is heavy...i can't speak for Alamo Ranch area as i never venture to that side of town...

Personally, i live outside 1604 off I-10West --- about 2miles outside san antonio, entering Boerne --- my kids still attend Northside schools --- Aue elementary, Rawlinson middle school and Clark high school is the high school we are zoned for --- all 3 are excellent schools and the traffic does not seem as bad out here...especially going into Boerne, no traffic at all from our house into Boerne...

good luck on your new home search...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,300,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
as far as traffic goes...you will get conflicting stories --- as a general consensus i think most will agree that the traffic is worse on the northeast side...stone oak/1604 and 281/1604 is very bad ... but at the same time traffic is getting very bad everywhere, it seems...bandera rd/1604 traffic is heavy...i can't speak for Alamo Ranch area as i never venture to that side of town...
It is bad in the AR area also. And getting worse daily

Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Meeshee said it far better than I could have. Thank you,Lady! And THANK YOU for being so helpful to boot!

MrsTxcop--thanks for those tips and that info--that is exactly the kind of info/help I'm looking for.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 09-11-2009 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were replying to was deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or