U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM

47 posts, read 236,762 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're a young, professional family of 3 with a kindergartener...we're considering a relocation to SA and would appreciate some feedback about the best/quietest/safest neighborhoods and the ones to avoid.

Where are the best elementary schools in the city?

We want something affordable, (I'm a stay-at-home mother) but with a yard and ideally some privacy (if that is possible??)

I'm most interested in single-family homes, NOT condos or duplexes...

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:52 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmylie View Post
Hi! We're a young, professional family of 3 with a kindergartener...we're considering a relocation to SA and would appreciate some feedback about the best/quietest/safest neighborhoods and the ones to avoid.

Where are the best elementary schools in the city?

We want something affordable, (I'm a stay-at-home mother) but with a yard and ideally some privacy (if that is possible??)

I'm most interested in single-family homes, NOT condos or duplexes...

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Here you go:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Most questions answered there.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks...we're looking more for personal recommendations; we've found those to be most reliable...

Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmylie View Post
Thanks...we're looking more for personal recommendations; we've found those to be most reliable...
Your questions are way too general. The link was to help you narrow down. Most folks will tell you the same.
The relocation contents are reliable...after all, it's compromised of our posts.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM

305 posts, read 1,158,273 times
You do realize that the best neighborhoods to some people could be absolutely horrible to other people? Just saying, cause you might be opening a can of wormwith people's different opinions of what neighborhoods they dislike. It may be good to focus on what people like and why.

I, myself (and 2 children) live on the outskirts of SA (east of SA), and the area is extremely varied with regards to housing, but if you are looking to rent, you won't find many. Most people own homes here. The schools are good, and the area is nice for a not so horrible commute (20 minutes to downtown, 30 minutes to most other areas).

I, my SO and 2 children will be joining households in the near future and I specifically want my children in Northeast ISD. Northside is also considered a good school district, but the area (everything west of I-10 in the north part of SA, as well as most of the "northwest" and western portions of the county) is more crowded which I do not like. The schools have more kids per class and the traffic is more congested in much of the area (due to more people living in the area). If your DH's job is in that area of town though it may be better for you.

Definately check the re-lo thread for more concrete statistics. It's probably on there, but greatschools.net is a good source to look at specific schools. Even in the better school districts there are schools that are not doing as well. When you begin your home search (online probably?) the real estate sites will list what school the home is in, make sure you go to the school district's website to double check it.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:58 PM

I realize my question is general; that is on purpose...the other two towns we are considering have been able to provide fabulous info with those general questions... And I'm delighted to hear the pros/cons differences in opinion on specific location--that is what makes a well-rounded discussion and provides the best info for what I'm looking for...

I'm looking for specific schools that are outstanding--not just districts--so that is really what I'd like to hear most about.
Thanks

Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM

LOl-Stacy--THANK YOU for your help! That is exactly the kind of info/story/personal thoughts I'm looking for!!! THANK YOU for sharing where you are looking and why

This is esp. helpful!!!:
I, my SO and 2 children will be joining households in the near future and I specifically want my children in Northeast ISD. Northside is also considered a good school district, but the area (everything west of I-10 in the north part of SA, as well as most of the "northwest" and western portions of the county) is more crowded which I do not like. The schools have more kids per class and the traffic is more congested in much of the area (due to more people living in the area). If your DH's job is in that area of town though it may be better for you.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:13 PM

LOL-Stacy :

What are some of the neighborhoods/developments (not sure what you call them there) in NW ISD that you are considering for yourself/that you like/would suggest?

Old 09-10-2009, 05:15 PM

247 posts, read 741,565 times
My recommendations are all on the North Central side of town in the NEISD school district. These are areas I'm familiar with and think have easy access to freeways, shopping and that I consider nice and safe to raise a family. Not knowing what your budget is or if you mean to rent or buy, these are just places I would look and did when I moved here.
Deerfield 78248
Vista Del Norte 78216
Shavano Park 78231
Churchill Estates 78248
Thousand Oaks 78232
Rogers Ranch 78258
While you will see a lot of people bitching and moaning about the traffic in Stone Oak, you will find just as many people if not more who like it there-also 78258.

Good Luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
please do a search. There has to be at least several hundred posts from people that just wanted individual opinions.. keeping the amount of threads running to a minimum keeps the database humming along and allows the rest of us to enjoy the free services CD supplies. It's also in the forum FAQ. Thanks and good luck with your hunt.
BTW, I would recommend a physical visit. You're going to get at least several hundred different opinions.. I would also visit in the heat of the summer and take note that yesterday "only" got up into the 80's and that is the first time it has "only" got into the 80's since May 26th that was on the KENS 6:00 PM news weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or