U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,783,943 times

Advertisements

I work at Kelly USA and there are bugs with wings, and lots of wings lying around. They look kind of like termites and I didn't see any of these things around my place on the north side. Are they termites or something else?

edit: uh-oh, they looked a lot like the bug on the right
http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/IPM/Pest%20of%20the%20Month/2008/ant%20termite%20swarm%20comparison.jpg (broken link)

Except these are all kind of brownish-tan. They don't swim very well either - there are dead ones and their wings all over the place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,343,533 times
I had a swarm hit my front and rear porches two nights ago where the lights were on. Called Orkin and they came out today and took my sample. They're swarming around Alamo Ranch and Westcreek and there have been many calls to Orkin in these areas. Turns out they're Agriculture Termites that don't go after your house (they like dead grass, etc.). I'm still going to put some more poison around the house just to make sure. BTW: Orkin will check for free.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,783,943 times
Huh... wierd. There's dead grass all over the place in and around the runway and taxiways so that must be what they call home. Our building is made from steel, concrete and asbestos so we don't have anything to worry about. Good to know for all the people that live on the west side though.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM

487 posts, read 978,038 times
Well, they weren't deterred by the Stone Oak traffic . . . they were all over my back porch this morning. I left the door open for the dog for a few minutes and I bet 50 came in my kitchen. They stayed near the floor so they were easy to kill. My can of Raid took care of the rest. Thanks for the info. I appreciate knowing what they were!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM

116 posts, read 315,653 times
Funny you posted this. I have a whole bunch of wings on my front porch that appeared this morning. (on NW side). I thought they were a little too big to be termites though. Here's an article about the agricultural termites: LandscapeOnline.com :: Article : Termites Invade Texas Turf (hope that's ok MOD, i never know if it's good/bad LOL).

Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,379,946 times
Thumbs down Ants or Termites

I've also noticed the increase in these pests coming out due to the recent rains. Of course, they appear to be ant like though not white or gray like a termite. I'd say like an ant with wings. I also used my can of Raid and they were dead upon contact. This was a couple of days ago, and I noticed it again. Seems like this is a battle now! Will probably call Orkin to give a free analysis/determination.....?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,343,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouskitty207 View Post
I've also noticed the increase in these pests coming out due to the recent rains. Of course, they appear to be ant like though not white or gray like a termite. I'd say like an ant with wings. I also used my can of Raid and they were dead upon contact. This was a couple of days ago, and I noticed it again. Seems like this is a battle now! Will probably call Orkin to give a free analysis/determination.....?
The ones I had were not ant like. I put one in a small jar and it definitely was not an ant. All ants have a thin petiole (see picture provided by scuba steve) while termites are wide.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 AM

338 posts, read 1,129,130 times
Same issue happened to me this past Saturday night, the 5th. Me and my wife had just moved into our new home out near the alamo ranch area. Around 9:30pm, some of our guests happened to go outside to beginning packing their cars to head back home, when they alerted me of the bugs. My entire front porch was blanketed with these bugs. hundreds of them! Thanks for the post, as now i know what they are, and not to be alarmed that they are not wood eating termites.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Huh... wierd. There's dead grass all over the place in and around the runway and taxiways so that must be what they call home. Our building is made from steel, concrete and asbestos so we don't have anything to worry about. Good to know for all the people that live on the west side though.
Steve....asbestos? seriously?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
The ones I had were not ant like. I put one in a small jar and it definitely was not an ant. All ants have a thin petiole (see picture provided by scuba steve) while termites are wide.
Steel....Liz posted a great article. They actually ARE termites, so they do look like the picture on the right. They just don't feed on the same things. I never knew there was a species of termites that didn't feed on wood. Very good article Liz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio