U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 PM

834 posts, read 1,800,857 times

Advertisements

most all the grafitti threads I see here start out with the word tagging
There is some really good grafitti *art* here in San Antonio.

I use some of them as backdrops when I want snapshots of the mudSickle.
..........*burner* -
A large, more elaborate type of piece.
The piece could be said to be "burning" out of the wall.
Because they take so much time and effort,
burners in downtown areas are more likely to be legal pieces,
painted with the consent of the property owner.
.............most that I see utilize *wildstyle* lettering -
Graffiti with text so stylized as to be difficult to read, often with interlocking, three-dimensional type.
Graffiti terminology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Words: Graffiti Glossary
I'll post a few here below.

Anyone else have pix of exceptional work??
..............San Pedro - downtown north - just inside IH35.....................

..............corner Cincinnati and Elmendorf................................

...............corner Eads and S. Presa...............

post your pix
mud
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:34 PM

796 posts, read 2,763,727 times
Most of the pics looks like you are trying to show off your bike, not the art.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,878,350 times
Picture number one: What is that guy on the right doing with his hands? Making gang sign language?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM

137 posts, read 246,896 times
Sorry but Gang Graffiti or "Art" graffiti is still graffiti!!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,044 times
Graffiti artist are just that artist. - not young hoodlums,they have real jobs and have no kind of affiliation with gangs what so ever and only do legal and commissioned work.

This has nothing to do with gangs anymore than the clear channel billboards that decorate our city do.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
This thread was started for the graffiti artists to discuss their art. It is a legitimate art form. I just read an article the other day about a college student graffiti artist whose work is on display at Yale University. If it's legitimate enough for Yale to recognize, it's legitimate enough for City-Data to do so as well.

There are many other threads in which the topics of vandalism graffiti and tagging are discussed.
Discuss those separate aspects of the topic in one of those separate threads. Those aspects are now off-topic in this thread.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,954,997 times
Thank you, Bowie.

To the OP, I LOVE the colors and the shading in the first photo you posted - that's pretty incredible. I'm also going to remember to keep my eyes open and appreciate the urban art I see.

We were actually tooddling around the west side the other day and there is some pretty amazing artwork going on over there, on the underspasses and such. (Legal? I don't know...but it wasn't like it was on a homeowner's fence or something.)

Old 09-11-2009, 02:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,296,338 times
I spy with my little eye.... orejon.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,183,175 times
Nice murdersycle, Mud!!!

I have come to admire so much of this "legal" graffiti, it truly is an art form. When we were in D.C. a few years ago, we were able to see an exhibit of photos of graffiti art in the Smithsonian.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,794 times
personally i do not consider what is pictured as grafitti at all --- i have always looked at works like that as street art or street murials...those huge pieces take time and effort and some sort of thought ... look at the shading of color...the fading of colors...the sharp outlines...those pieces pictured take hours, i am sure, to complete...

grafitti to me is ususally just a name or a symbol or a word scrawled out ... something done quick to just "tag" up and area or a sign or a wall and the person moves on to the next item to tag it up...there is no "design" to it...no art element, if you will...

sure both mediums are done with spray paint but there is a big difference between the two...atleast in my eyes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or