U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 PM

24 posts, read 44,991 times

Advertisements

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in America! #7 That being said it also has an observation tower like Seattle, Toronto, Vegas, Paris and Shanghai. (and there may be more cities with towers) My point is all these other cities have interesting skylines. Unlike San Antonio with it's dated skyline. I love the riverwalk. I love the Alamo. But these attributes of the city aren't going anywhere. And it's ok to modernize the skyline and implode those 1960's block buildings of the downtown. The Spurs, the universities, the culture of Mexican Americans, all these things make San Antonio unique. So build 5 new buildings that define the modern progression of San Antonio and still help bridge the city with it's history. The reason 5 buildings are important because the 5 buildings could make a "star" at the points of downtown that would bridge everything together.
I love skylines. And every great skyline has usually one or two building that stand out against others in the world. I think San Antonio needs to build theirs. The have limestone for foundation so skys the limit. With the Lone Star Rail eventually connecting San Antonio's downtown with Austin's downtown, city planners should be looking at the glass condo skyrises that should be going up in downtown to those that are going to be connected to the action. In 5 years San Antonio could have a completely different skyline if they choose to build it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:27 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,738,074 times
Bobby, Why must San Antonio be like everyplace else? It seems to be doing just fine to me as it is. Why be a copy when you can be an original.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM

102 posts, read 165,382 times
Plus, they're not going to build a skyscraper just because the skyline looks dead. No developer will committ to building a skyscraper or any building for that matter if there is no demand for it. Obviously there is no demand for it downtown right now. They're not going to build a skyscraper when they know it will just sit empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or