U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 AM

10,061 posts, read 9,469,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
That's all I can think off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.
I agree,
my favorite one is the people doing 10 under the speed limit on the left lane of the highway with nobody in front of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,159,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I agree,
my favorite one is the people doing 10 under the speed limit on the left lane of the highway with nobody in front of them.
I call them wannabe traffic officers. They think their job is to regulate the speed at which everyone else drives (even if it's 10 miles under the speed limit). Mindyaz and get outta the way... LOL.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:22 AM

245 posts, read 306,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
Please tell me where you're driving. Everywhere I drive in SA people are driving well below the speed limit and it drives me crazy. And don't get me started on the people stopping at offramps. I grew up in Houston and am use to speeds at or above the speed limit and other drivers who can successfully merge on and off a freeway. This is one of my worst complaints about SA.
It all depends on where in the city it is and your perception and bias of the other drivers around you. I lived in SE Houston and found horrible drivers, too. People couldn't merge correctly, drive correctly, drive sober, etc. Bad drivers are a universal problem...even in your beloved Houston.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 AM

8,298 posts, read 12,632,295 times
I agree...as bad as the driving is here in SA, I find it even worse in Houston. It's gotten to the point where I don't even go there anymore, even with the largest gun show in Texas being held there! Yeah, I know, shocking; isn't it?! H-town drivers are so horrible that even the lure of a giant gun show won't draw me in! eek:

Every time we go to Houston, I find myself longing for the slightly-less-idiotic drivers of San Antonio...

Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM

281 posts, read 298,712 times
I agree with these posts, driving here can be quite sloppy at times. I have seen some rather ill-conceived maneuvers that seem to bend the laws of physics not to mention common sense.

In the past 2.5 to 3 years, I have noticed an increasing prevalence of the "exit to the right from the left lane" maneuvers by drivers. Huge trucks, SUVs, cars, etc. I see more and more people do this Kamikaze move each week. At the worst, if fate intervenes, the car in the right lane will t-bone the vehicle exiting across their path.

Even if the car in the right lane isn't hit by the vehicle exiting across their path, a sudden breaking maneuver by the driver in the right lane could cause vehicles behind them to impact them.

I would hope most people know doing this maneuver is illegal and very dangerous.

Yet I see drivers do it all the time. Like John Stossel says "Give me a break!"

Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 PM

402 posts, read 506,542 times
Quote:
Mindyaz and get outta the wa
really, how hard is it too pass someone on the freeway? Is it really that terrible of an inconvenience?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,745,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I agree...as bad as the driving is here in SA, I find it even worse in Houston. It's gotten to the point where I don't even go there anymore, even with the largest gun show in Texas being held there! Yeah, I know, shocking; isn't it?! H-town drivers are so horrible that even the lure of a giant gun show won't draw me in! eek:

Every time we go to Houston, I find myself longing for the slightly-less-idiotic drivers of San Antonio...
Every time we go to Houston I see more people driving faster and less slower drivers than San Antonio.

Last edited by Steel Man; 05-28-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,363,835 times
I am not sure what is worse. The drivers in this city or the structure of the lanes on the highway.

You can't get on the highway because there is not enough lane to get up to speed to merge and you cant get off because the on ramp and the off ramp are 20 feet apart. If you do get up to speed to merge there is a car in the right hand lane so you run out of real estate and end up exiting because there was nowhere to get in, which leads back to the drivers in this city.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 PM

10,061 posts, read 9,469,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I am not sure what is worse. The drivers in this city or the structure of the lanes on the highway.
Agree with that,
gotta love the 410-10 interchange close to Kirby.
If you drive West on 410 and try to get 410 South,
all of a sudden (no signs until the last second) you find yourself in somebody else's lanes, when there's usually a lane for you to take your time and get on the other highway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.001703&z=19

Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,045 times
Being originally from Pennsylvania near Lake Erie and dealing with lake effect snow (lots and lots and lots...), it baffles me why people in San Antonio have such a difficult time in RAIN. Seriously, I-10 goes down to 10MPH, no joke, due to nothing but RAIN. And if it gets down to freezing temps, they actually close roads. God help SA drivers if they ever had to drive in difficult conditions.

I agree, most of the bad drivers are "natives" lol. My favorite part about SA drivers is their inability to "zipper" two lanes into one. Clearly, everyone is more important than everyone else, and MUST merge FIRST. Or, if there's an exit or turn lane, you MUST zip up there then try to force your way in later. More points if you have a huge truck, put on your turn signal, and just start merging without checking, By far my favorites.

To be clear, not all drivers here are terrible, but there are enough to ruin it for everyone. I've had someone actually follow me to yell @ me for "cutting me off" when he tried to go straight in a turn only lane (his lane was supposed to turn left, my lane went straight, he thought his lane went into mine....). People truly amaze me on the roads down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio