Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM

136 posts, read 569,131 times

Advertisements

I think anything Boar's Head makes is better than anything I've tasted from H-E-B, no comparison. We only buy Boar's Head. H-E-B stuff is also definitely way too salty. It's even better than some of the up market brands at Central Market such as Emil's (Turkey).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Super Target sells pretty good deli meat. They have a roast beef that is very, very good. Don't care for the Italian beef, though--tasted way too much like pastrami, even though I like pastrami. I'll have to make note of the brand this weekend.

I also have noticed the same thing about the HEB brand. It's gotten to the point where they have their brand priced so much lower than the name brand you just feel stupid for not buying it. Makes me mad--their product is good, but it's not as good or better in every category.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,705 times
noticed this too about the HEB brands. Like in the candy isle. No more Brachs Candy Corn. You gotta buy HCF. Unless its the season like right now, you won't find the name brand candy corn anymore at HEB (at least at mine off 3009). Wal-mart does the same thing (still talking candy corn).

Old 09-17-2009, 04:32 PM

199 posts, read 707,808 times
The Boar's Head is higher quality without yucky ingredients. Check the ingredient list if you can find it. I found Boar's Head at Sun Harvest, usually a tiny bit less expensive, and sometimes goes on sale (one type at a time).

Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
If one is avoiding fillers and injected sodium, try Central Msrket turkey and roast beef. No fillers or preservatives. Costs a bit more, but certainly worth it.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM

21 posts, read 69,978 times
I have found BH taste better and say fresher longer than HEB deli meat. My husband swears HEB deli meat starts smelling and tasting a little funny after 2-3 days. BH is expensive, but Sun Harvest usually has BH at least $1-$1.50 a lb cheaper than HEB.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM

65 posts, read 158,986 times
Default Re:Does the Boars Head Deli Meat at HEB Taste Better?

We really, really like Boars Head roast beef. I also agree that Boars Head deli meats have a longer shelf life that other brands. That's puzzling as it supposedly has no preservatives

Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saglamgirl View Post
I have found BH taste better and say fresher longer than HEB deli meat. My husband swears HEB deli meat starts smelling and tasting a little funny after 2-3 days. BH is expensive, but Sun Harvest usually has BH at least $1-$1.50 a lb cheaper than HEB.
Your husband is right! We've had the same problem, especially with the HEB turkey, which is why I don't buy it. (My daughter described it as smelling like old stinky feet.) I wondered if it had something to do with the way it was handled when they sliced it, but we don't have that issue with the BH!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 AM

715 posts, read 1,356,705 times
so from what I've gathered here so far, once I go Boars Head.......I'll never go back, right?....lol I think I'll be making a trip to HEB this weekend to splurge and get me some BH Roast Beef or Turkey. Does Wal-mart sell BH? And what about other brands like Sara Lee......Are there any other name brands that are cheaper than BH but still pretty good? I know Walmart doesn't have store brand deli stuff which really surprises me.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
so from what I've gathered here so far, once I go Boars Head.......I'll never go back, right?....lol I think I'll be making a trip to HEB this weekend to splurge and get me some BH Roast Beef or Turkey. Does Wal-mart sell BH? And what about other brands like Sara Lee......Are there any other name brands that are cheaper than BH but still pretty good? I know Walmart doesn't have store brand deli stuff which really surprises me.
I believe Walmart does sell BH. I've bought Sara Lee turkey when it is on sale, but I usually get Butterball or BH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio