U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM

35 posts, read 50,549 times

Advertisements

I'm serious about this question because I have applied at many places and aside from out right being ignored even after I send a follow up email or phone call, they will send me a denial email if even that, with no reason other than they found a more suitable applicant.

I find it insulting to be declined a housekeeping job as an example. I applied with several companies. I clean for people right now to put food on the table. I'm good at it but doing so didn't qualify me for the numerous housekeeping positions I applied for?

What's wrong with being a White American female with NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND?

I have many skills, housekeeping is something I want to do because I enjoy a job that does not tie me to a desk. I type on a average of 55 wpm and my data entry was tested at 8000+ ksph. I've worked in Customer Service jobs over 16 years of my working life and I just need a job that will appreciate my work ethic and treat me as a human being.

Do I have to change my last name to Lopez in this city to find a job?

Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,179,034 times
Yikes! What a first post.

Look, discrimination is everywhere. You think it's hard being a white female? Ha! Try being a white male professional with a graduate degree in a science field. Talk about discrimination. Holy moley!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
Since response to this topic is likely to be emotionally-charged, I'm going to remind members of a few sections of the Terms of Service that need to be followed in every reply.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

If you can't post in the thread without breaking one or more of those, then don't post in the thread.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,145,156 times
I'm an employed white female, so I would have to say "Yes" to your title question. My company hires many races/ethnicities/sexual orientations/religions.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,194,431 times
I have a vey 'interesting' first name that often throws ppl off so I can understand the notion of prejudgement...so, change your last name to Lopez on resumes like u suggested and report back what happens.

Jobs are not found via email alone though...

Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,929 times
Unless the position calls for fluency in spanish there could be many reasons why you haven't been picked up.

1. Person doing the hiring gets a referral from someone they know/trust. People will almost always hire a known quality vs. unknown quality worker.

2. Does the application process include a resume? Maybe that needs some work. References? If the employer calls and you only get a 'ho-hum' reference your application will likely end up in the trash.

3. People are tightening their belts and cutting expenses. Demand for what you're looking for has probably dropped.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
Maybe they're hiring white people, just not you.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM

35 posts, read 50,549 times
maybe I wasn't explaining myself. I have applied in person and online for jobs and it's the same result. For the lady that states she has a job and is White, What company may that be? I'd like to apply there if I haven't already done so.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

104 posts, read 311,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyinSa View Post
I'm serious about this question because I have applied at many places and aside from out right being ignored even after I send a follow up email or phone call, they will send me a denial email if even that, with no reason other than they found a more suitable applicant.

I find it insulting to be declined a housekeeping job as an example. I applied with several companies. I clean for people right now to put food on the table. I'm good at it but doing so didn't qualify me for the numerous housekeeping positions I applied for?

What's wrong with being a White American female with NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND?

I have many skills, housekeeping is something I want to do because I enjoy a job that does not tie me to a desk. I type on a average of 55 wpm and my data entry was tested at 8000+ ksph. I've worked in Customer Service jobs over 16 years of my working life and I just need a job that will appreciate my work ethic and treat me as a human being.

Do I have to change my last name to Lopez in this city to find a job?

YOU THINK IT'S BAD FOR YOU!!! TRY BEING BLACK WITH NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND!!! I'm in HOUSTON and been looking for a job for 1 month and I still haven't gotten ANYTHING!!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:33 PM

574 posts, read 1,160,762 times
Candy, surely you jest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio