U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,698,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStouwie View Post
I was told by someone that one of the unfortunate consequences of news stories, besides the possibility that the media may not present the story in a fair light, is the tendency for the story to get twisted and spun, perhaps unintentionally, but spun nonetheless... However, even where the facts are pretty accurately provided, as they were with KENS 5, people still have a tendency to view the world through the lens of personal bias. I do it too, though I try to be objective. I am not pointing fingers at biased people by any means. But, it seems fair to defend oneself and one's cause, particularly where the attacker is so far removed from the facts of the situation.

As far as the ethics of participating in a blog, a lawsuit has been filed, and the suit is a public document once it's filed. You can even see the full document that was filed by going to my website, stouwiemayo.com It's got a link to the document right on the home page. It's approximately 9 pages. There IS a limit to what I can and cannot discuss about the case, but nothing I have done or said is impermissable under the disciplinary rules that govern attorneys.

Finally, I took Julie's case for several reasons. First, she is a good, honest, decent person who was mistreated by a large corporation. Second, the guy that runs the company has a longstanding reputation for being a jerk. I won't go in to all he's done and said in the past, especially in the context of employee and customer injuries and complaints. Finally, I took her case because the cover up was so far outside the bounds of human decency that I wanted to either get her a modest settlement without a lawsuit, or make a more public statement about the conduct with a lawsuit.

This is the only way to realistically make a corporation take responsibility for the actions of those in power. People don't always get that, but it's true. Without such a forum (the courthouse) we are at the mercy of the values and morality of a corporation.
Mr Stouwie....I'm not an attorney, but I'm really shocked at your public defensiveness in this situation. You are publicly slandering Mr. Miller by repeating secondhand information about a "reputation"? Isn't that the definition of a reputation?...secondhand information? And if you know about his business practices based on hearsay, are you being ethical to continue slandering him? He has yet to be proven guilty in this case, so you cannot be 100% for certain the claim that he or his company was "outside the bounds of human decency." That has yet to be proven.

If you have public records of court cases regarding this company, then that's a different story. Right now, your professional ethics seem to be in question. Or are you saying that since the charges have been filed publicly, it's ok for you to believe them and continue to slander him? At either rate, this forum is not really the place to do it. You just gave out a HUGE commercial and reference to your practice and that is against TOS rules here. But I'm not a moderator...they can make that call. It's also against TOS rules to slander/bash or make consumer complaints here....all of what your post consists of at this point......excluding the big plug for your practice. I find it all appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:11 PM

317 posts, read 1,605,277 times
I wonder, did she report it to the police when she found out- did I miss that somewhere? I certainly would have. If this did happen to her, I hope she gets fair and appropriate justice. Its disgusting to think that someone could do this to another person, or that anyone would cover this type of thing up.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 PM

358 posts, read 720,559 times
Quote:
I was told by someone that one of the unfortunate consequences of news stories, besides the possibility that the media may not present the story in a fair light, is the tendency for the story to get twisted and spun, perhaps unintentionally, but spun nonetheless... However, even where the facts are pretty accurately provided, as they were with KENS 5, people still have a tendency to view the world through the lens of personal bias. I do it too, though I try to be objective. I am not pointing fingers at biased people by any means. But, it seems fair to defend oneself and one's cause, particularly where the attacker is so far removed from the facts of the situation.

As far as the ethics of participating in a blog, a lawsuit has been filed, and the suit is a public document once it's filed. You can even see the full document that was filed by going to my website, stouwiemayo.com It's got a link to the document right on the home page. It's approximately 9 pages. There IS a limit to what I can and cannot discuss about the case, but nothing I have done or said is impermissable under the disciplinary rules that govern attorneys.

Finally, I took Julie's case for several reasons. First, she is a good, honest, decent person who was mistreated by a large corporation. Second, the guy that runs the company has a longstanding reputation for being a jerk. I won't go in to all he's done and said in the past, especially in the context of employee and customer injuries and complaints. Finally, I took her case because the cover up was so far outside the bounds of human decency that I wanted to either get her a modest settlement without a lawsuit, or make a more public statement about the conduct with a lawsuit.

This is the only way to realistically make a corporation take responsibility for the actions of those in power. People don't always get that, but it's true. Without such a forum (the courthouse) we are at the mercy of the values and morality of a corporation.
Being in the insurance business, it's absolutely true that I'm skeptical of these kinds of "claims". Why? Well, let me ask a couple of questions. Why aren't you also suing the employee who allegedly put the bleach in her salad? Isn't that person the one responsible for any injuries, rather than Bill Miller Corp? Sure, I don't know all the facts, but the news report makes it seem like Bill Miller upper mgmt just wasn't real sympathetic to her, but they certainly didn't poison her (although their food could be poisonous on it's own even without bleach - it's got to be the worst BBQ around...how it became the large chain it is, is beyond me. I NEVER eat there). Back to business. My guess would be you are not suing the employee who poisoned her because he/she has little or no money. Right? So you go after the "deep pockets". Let's be honest - that's how the plaintiff's bar works. The goal is to try and pin responsibility on anyone even remotely involved in the incident, who has money. Now, I'm not saying there aren't plenty of legitimate plaintiff's cases out there for you, but I've seen many, many bull**** claims and cases...so yeah, I'm skeptical. Especially of someone who says they couldn't smell or taste bleach on a salad (although I must admit, I don't know what bleach tastes like nor am I anxious to find out). But it's just a little hard to believe. Maybe before you took the case you should have gotten a salad and put bleach, Italian dressing and cheese on it and taken a good whiff to see if her story is believable!!

BTW, since you're ex-Navy like me, I'm cutting you some slack here and keeping my opinions about the plaintiff's bar to a bare minimum. LOL!!

Oh yeah, I do also have a friend who is a PI attorney. You probably know him. He's heard my rants about his vocation many times (and vice-versa), but we're still friends.

Last thing. Welcome to C-D!!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,433,882 times
Quote:
What I don't understand is the kneejerk reaction to think that I would waste my time and my reputation, on a scam. I've been a lawyer for almost 11 years, and I'm board certified in personal injury trial law.
Asked and answered.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM

556 posts, read 372,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Also, why didn't she get her own damn salad? .

That's what I was thinking. Just because you're a manager doesn't mean you can order the peons around to get you food. Get it yourself. If you're going on break, that's the perfect time to go get and eat your own food.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 PM

3,790 posts, read 3,478,395 times
Speaking of Bill Miller.

I never liked their salads.....
Too healthy.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 PM

216 posts, read 316,979 times
Okay I was going to out and do some work in my new addition, I'm working on my "Horno" no Mr. Moderator it's not a dirty word it's a cooking firplace not at all like your standard heating/decorative fireplace but reading this thread about the bleach made me think of something I learned about bleach and cooking a few months ago.
I have always heard about "chitlins" or "chitterlings" people say they are so good, they are "soul" food that there is no better meal than chitlins, greens and cornbread but I didn't know 'cause nobody in my family had ever fixed 'em or eaten 'em.
So I was strolling through the store one day and saw a lady piling her basket with 5 or 6 five pound bags of these things. I thought now is my chance to ask someone that really knows, so I did, she gave me some instructions and I brought a five pound bag home. She did tell me the ones it the bags cost a little more than the ones in the buckets but they were worth it because the tasted better. Well I decide I needed a little more tutoring so I went to my old stand by and there sure enough was a lady showing how to clean and prepare them, so I paid close attention and proceeded into the kitchen. I open the bag and began to read the instructions printed there and (here's where the bleach part comes in) there printed on the bag it said you may want to soak the chitterlings in a solution of 10% bleach to kill any bacteria and to be sure to remove any fecal matter that you may find. Be sure to rinse well after soaking to remove remains of the bleach. Well this should have been my Clarion Call, stop, are you crazy you really want to eat stuff that has been sanitized in bleach water. The

Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM

6,997 posts, read 10,211,605 times
I don't know anyone who has cleaned chitterlings with bleach. You do have to clean out the fecal matter, but the cooking should be enough to kill bacteria unless you don't cook them long enough.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 PM

216 posts, read 316,979 times
Half of my post was deleted, here's the rest. As far as the bleach I'm just quoting the instructions on the package.

Then I recalled reading how they do this with seafood (ever notice how your shrimp may have a slight chlorine smell) so I figured what the heck beside I'd spent about 5 bucks on this bag of pig intestines. After close to a hour I had properly cleaned and stripped the intestines I put them in a pot an began boiling them. If I recall correctly it was at least 4 or 5 hours of simmering. I opened windows turned on fans and moved to the back of the house. If any of you have made that South Texas specialty "Menudo" then you have a slight idea of what the smell can be like, the difference is Menudo when all is said and done is delicious but the stuff I had in that pot was atrocious. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to put down anyone's cuisine but those things tasted like they smelled and even with the help of the greens and cornbread I couldn't get them down, and I'm the guy that tried a pig ear sandwich and liked it.

If that employee had really wanted t poison her boss she should have given her some of these.

I'm willing to try them again, probably I didn't prepare them right, so if you can tell me where to go I'll give them a second chance.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,859,205 times
po girl. I just figured out the name of their new salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio