U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Diyallusss, TX
1,805 posts, read 4,352,589 times
Reputation: 559

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Angel Food Pantry doesn't have any income requirements. Try that out too.
Yes, I too was going to suggest Angel Food Ministries...

Here's a link, plenty of nearby churches that participate...

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries

 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
 
Location: outskirts of Alamo Heights
35 posts, read 50,573 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Candy..have you applied for food stamps?
yes and I was denied for them said I could reapply in October if by chance I could find a place to hire me at 20 hours a week then go to the resource room in the Texas workforce center for another 10 hours a week. I know I probably need to tweak my resume and lie on it but I don't like to lie. The last job I had fired me after 2 months. They only hired me to get the tax credit because I had food stamps up until July, even then they wouldn't give me a set amount of hours a week 15-20, by the time they decided they wanted to give me a little more hours I was declined for food stamps. The wonderful place in question was Target. Since July 15 I haven't been back to Target. If I ever get a good job I refuse to ever spend money there.
 
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,647,822 times
Reputation: 12219
When I was in college in Missouri, many people talked about how much food Panera would give away at the end of the day.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to stand in line

Make sure to check with all the bakery and restaurants in your area.
Just let them know your situation and all that you need is for them to throw a few things in a bag and tell you when you can pick it up.
 
Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,719,415 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When I was in college in Missouri, many people talked about how much food Panera would give away at the end of the day.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to stand in line

Make sure to check with all the bakery and restaurants in your area.
Just let them know your situation and all that you need is for them to throw a few things in a bag and tell you when you can pick it up.
Broadway daily bread has someone come daily to pick up their leftovers for the day. You could call them and ask where they take them. They may offer to put aside some for you. BTW - If you can take the bus to either location, they are wonderful for helping people with jobs. The owner has a HUGE heart and puts a LOT of people to work. He won't jerk you around like some big companies. But his employees do work hard. He believes in promoting an honest work ethic....not just charity.
 
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
1,490 posts, read 5,222,527 times
Reputation: 1601
If you are under the age of 42 you should join the Army. Get fed, housed, clothed, learn skills, and earn college money.
 
Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,279,815 times
Reputation: 2852
To the OP, have you checked out any of the services Goodwill Industries offers? They have a job help center that helps you find a job and its free. They will help you write your resume, do job searches, interview development, and job skill help. There is a Goodwill Job Center on nearly every part of town and they are all on a bus route.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM
 
Location: outskirts of Alamo Heights
35 posts, read 50,573 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
To the OP, have you checked out any of the services Goodwill Industries offers? They have a job help center that helps you find a job and its free. They will help you write your resume, do job searches, interview development, and job skill help. There is a Goodwill Job Center on nearly every part of town and they are all on a bus route.
I have been there and it wasn't for me. I have a case worker through TWC that's pretty helpful and I'll contact him in regards to the situation and see if I can make it back up there for the resume classes to see what I need to add or remove from my resume. I am also interested in the LVN training program. Considering I didn't qualify for UI benefits and I'm unable to find a job they may allow me to go in the WIA program for retraining. Amazing the Government will **** away money for baby makers but when an American that worked all her life and didn't have children because I was responsible needs help they turn their back on me. It's been difficult to say the least because I have also been helping my mom out with decluttering. cleaning and organizing her house when she is off work and that takes time away from me trying to make money as well. My dad has been in the hospital over three months and mom needs to have the house handicap accessible before he is able to return home. She is using all of her savings to do this and it won't be enough.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: outskirts of Alamo Heights
35 posts, read 50,573 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Yes, I too was going to suggest Angel Food Ministries...

Here's a link, plenty of nearby churches that participate...

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries
I know about this one nad have been told by people I know that have used it that it is good.
 
Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 AM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,279,815 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyinSa View Post
I have been there and it wasn't for me. I have a case worker through TWC that's pretty helpful and I'll contact him in regards to the situation and see if I can make it back up there for the resume classes to see what I need to add or remove from my resume. I am also interested in the LVN training program. Considering I didn't qualify for UI benefits and I'm unable to find a job they may allow me to go in the WIA program for retraining. Amazing the Government will **** away money for baby makers but when an American that worked all her life and didn't have children because I was responsible needs help they turn their back on me. It's been difficult to say the least because I have also been helping my mom out with decluttering. cleaning and organizing her house when she is off work and that takes time away from me trying to make money as well. My dad has been in the hospital over three months and mom needs to have the house handicap accessible before he is able to return home. She is using all of her savings to do this and it won't be enough.
I'm sorry about your parent's situation, but really Candy you should stop making excuses every time someone tries to throw you a bone. Hopefully you get into an LVN program and not come back to the board to tell us they didn't admit you because they chose a NON American NON WHITE woman over you. Good luck.
 
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: outskirts of Alamo Heights
35 posts, read 50,573 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I'm sorry about your parent's situation, but really Candy you should stop making excuses every time someone tries to throw you a bone. Hopefully you get into an LVN program and not come back to the board to tell us they didn't admit you because they chose a NON American NON WHITE woman over you. Good luck.
this thread was about becoming freegan but all of the posters went off in other directions and you obviously have nothing better to do or you wouldn;t have followed me from a closed thread. You are a troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top