U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,224,296 times

Advertisements

Quick note on the library: Since the economy, library attendance has increased and internet usage at the desktop computers is even more closely monitored than the usual policy. What's great is if you have your own laptop, you can get free wi-fi.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 PM

3,060 posts, read 5,061,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Quick note on the library: Since the economy, library attendance has increased and internet usage at the desktop computers is even more closely monitored than the usual policy. What's great is if you have your own laptop, you can get free wi-fi.
Yup. Some libraries even have classes to help you learn to use them better (if necessary). I was at the library last Sunday and there was a line waiting to use the computers. Even the local homeless guy was on one.

*side note - someone got mugged right outside the entrance Sunday.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM

452 posts, read 657,279 times
Quote:
For me a handout would be if she asked for food on this board or to deliver it to her. I think some folks feel limited or sometimes ask for help but then feel embarrassed or shy to actually go to the place and ask for help. I've seen it lots of times; it's a bummer.
It's apparent to me that a handout is exactly what she's seeking. She was given several suggestion and she had an excuse for not taking any of them into consideration, i.e., no transportation, not for her, etc. Maybe you should volunteer and help her out if you don't think she's looking for a handout.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
It's apparent to me that a handout is exactly what she's seeking. She was given several suggestion and she had an excuse for not taking any of them into consideration, i.e., no transportation, not for her, etc. Maybe you should volunteer and help her out if you don't think she's looking for a handout.
Just playing devil's advocate is all. There are many folks out there that no matter how much you try to help, they will make excuses because they are afraid of succeeding, forgot what it's like to do well in life, etc. Just a little bit of insight I have gathered from social workers who work with job seekers, displaced workers, etc.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 PM

137 posts, read 170,125 times
I liked the "not for her" excuse...kind of made me laugh....I am here getting audited by a million people and I am thinking what if I said eh it's not for me?!

Well I am still at work so I guess I figured this was for me.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj007 View Post
I liked the "not for her" excuse...kind of made me laugh....I am here getting audited by a million people and I am thinking what if I said eh it's not for me?!

Well I am still at work so I guess I figured this was for me.
That was a good one. I'll have to remember that if I ever end up on the verge of homelessness myself.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate is all. There are many folks out there that no matter how much you try to help, they will make excuses because they are afraid of succeeding, forgot what it's like to do well in life, etc. Just a little bit of insight I have gathered from social workers who work with job seekers, displaced workers, etc.
Or they're just plain lazy, perhaps?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Or they're just plain lazy, perhaps?
Some of the laziness is actually depression and sometimes it truly is laziness. My gal pal has seen some folks do a total 180 with talk therapy and/or meds. Low income/poverty creates a higher risk for depression.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,432,457 times
Quote:
Some of the laziness is actually depression and sometimes it truly is laziness. My gal pal has seen some folks do a total 180 with talk therapy and/or meds. Low income/poverty creates a higher risk for depression.
I've also been through that personally - I was unemployed/underemployed for nearly three years back in the early 2000s. I had to fight depression like mad. The combination of stressing over no $ to pay bills plus no direction in life plus not getting callbacks/interviews...it was horrible. And just so no one thinks I was lazy/had no skills/whatever, I had a masters degree and years of experience in training and instructional design; I applied for everything from bookstore clerk to HR person to jobs in my own field. I found my unemployment records a few weeks ago and in about six months time, I had applied almost 300 jobs.

I do have compassion for people who are job hunting. I would guess that a messageboard like this provides a place for people to vent anonomously, and to bounce ideas around.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I've also been through that personally - I was unemployed/underemployed for nearly three years back in the early 2000s. I had to fight depression like mad. The combination of stressing over no $ to pay bills plus no direction in life plus not getting callbacks/interviews...it was horrible. And just so no one thinks I was lazy/had no skills/whatever, I had a masters degree and years of experience in training and instructional design; I applied for everything from bookstore clerk to HR person to jobs in my own field. I found my unemployment records a few weeks ago and in about six months time, I had applied almost 300 jobs.

I do have compassion for people who are job hunting. I would guess that a messageboard like this provides a place for people to vent anonomously, and to bounce ideas around.
I hear ya! For me, it was the frustration, someone would give me an idea and when it didn't work, I would get discouraged, from trying to find anything to trying to find the perfect job, it was roller coaster ride of emotions, brought back memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio