Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor a light-rail system for San Antonio?
Yes 233 77.67%
No 54 18.00%
Maybe/Undecided 13 4.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 89,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well then there's two questions:

1) Is this lightrail of San Antone's going to have frequent users?
2) Couldn't the money be put to better user? Because I think it could.
1) Buses on Fredericksburg road frequently become stacked up 2 or 3 within a half-mile stretch. Furthermore, the number of roads and turns and twists and freeway miles prevent lines to UTSA from being as frequent as they oughta be.

2) The money is there for transit exclusively, through federal grants and sponsorship from transit companies. Some companies stipulate that there needs to be a good dedicated transit system before considering setting up camp, which is another good selling point for the city. Any gaps in funding that are picked up by tax payers could easily be made back within a few years, as with the billions of dollars in investment that the MAX and streetcar system have brought portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
1) Buses on Fredericksburg road frequently become stacked up 2 or 3 within a half-mile stretch. Furthermore, the number of roads and turns and twists and freeway miles prevent lines to UTSA from being as frequent as they oughta be.

2) The money is there for transit exclusively, through federal grants and sponsorship from transit companies. Some companies stipulate that there needs to be a good dedicated transit system before considering setting up camp, which is another good selling point for the city. Any gaps in funding that are picked up by tax payers could easily be made back within a few years, as with the billions of dollars in investment that the MAX and streetcar system have brought portland.
Hm. Well I voted "No". Hope that doesn't make me evil, lol.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:12 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,974 times
we have to start thinking ahead

Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 AM

122 posts, read 393,209 times
Quote:
Just to demonstrate I used Google Earth to create a few possible starter routes:
How did you do that? Whenever I try to save a map in Google maps it won't let me. Right-clicking won't bring up that option. I could always hit "printscreen" and copy it into Paint, but is there an easier way to do it? Drives me nuts when I'm trying to save something to look at offline...

Or, is saving a map an option just in Google Earth, but not Google maps?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
How did you do that? Whenever I try to save a map in Google maps it won't let me. Right-clicking won't bring up that option. I could always hit "printscreen" and copy it into Paint, but is there an easier way to do it? Drives me nuts when I'm trying to save something to look at offline...

Or, is saving a map an option just in Google Earth, but not Google maps?
That's all I did was print screen and post into paint. It is a hassle but it's that only way I know.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 AM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
You can put routes in Google Earth Pro if you've got it...but it's $400.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM

As far as the "need" for San Antonio to have a light rail, you can only build roads so high, so far, and so fast. Light rail can transport more people in a smaller space, and is cleaner that most vehicles. San Antonio is growing FAST. It will take several years after that for light-rail to be utilized across the city. If you wait until you absolutely need the rail, it will be much more of a hassle. San Antonio is well capable of supporting a light-rail system as it is know. Imagine 10 years from now! I see a mass of positives outweighing the negatives. It is more visually appealing, cleaner, and quicker. It will also help the tourism industry as far as attracting out-of-state visitors. I visited Houston over Christmas and I loved the light-rail. It was so much easier to get around!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
You can put routes in Google Earth Pro if you've got it...but it's $400.
I put in the routes on Google Earth and then just used the print screen command to move them to paint where I saved them. You can also add the placemarks with Google Earth.

[For those who don't know what we're talking about - http://earth.google.com/ (There is a FREE version, a PLUS version, and a PRO version.)]

Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 AM

I don't think that any proposals for a "starter" line should be any more than 10 miles. That was a big turnoff to voters in the 2000 proposal. Keep in my mind that the light rail could be easily expanded.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 AM

I personally like the idea of starting with a downtown - airport light rail (like the one I poroposed). It could then be expanded to UTSA/Fiesta/La Cantera/The Rim (doubling the size of the light rail). Then another 5 miles from the UTSA DT campus could reach to Lackland. If you start with a central starter line it coul be easier to branch out to the other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio