Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor a light-rail system for San Antonio?
Yes 233 77.67%
No 54 18.00%
Maybe/Undecided 13 4.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:19 PM

283 posts, read 1,832,084 times

Advertisements

Why does SA not have a light rail system?!

Moderator cut: language

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-04-2008 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: inappropriate remark removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,219,301 times
Default Post pone until there is enough demand..

Although as exciting have a light rail system can be, we need to wait until there is a true enough demand to have one. Upon reading your claim, I took the liberty to research how these light rails function and how these would work to our advantage or not. For the most part, a Light-Rail system is the most eco-friendly public transportation system around because it is able to transport hundreds of people at a time with low energy usage. But, the issue is money and demand... unless the TIRZ, or South Broadway/North River whatever project is a true success, I do not see San Antonio needing a light-rail system. We simply do not have enough people who would depend on public transportation across downtown to afford such a system. If we do implement a light rail under status quo, the city would have no choice but to raise taxes or increase our subaverage VIA bus fares. That is a price I am not willing to pay just yet.

P.S. It is great that you are looking for alternatives to make this city better..

Old 12-25-2006, 12:46 AM

546 posts, read 3,095,596 times
What we need is one (or a few) of those Maglevs (Magnetically levitated trains) between here, Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc. 300 miles an hour. Man, I would have a blast every weekend. Shopping in Dallas, dining in Houston, music performances in Austin, just like one of those Star Trek transporters. ZOOM! Of course, SWA would be out of business, the small towns might suffer (BUT they might actually prosper again when you really think about it)...we pay a zillion dollars in property taxes anyway, so what's the holdup?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,002,342 times
Default San Antonio Light-Rail... Possibility?...Give SA Light Rail...Light Rail Trolley

7 years ago SA voted against light-rail. Now do you think the city is ready?

I favor the idea, and think the city would benefit from such. If something small (but expandable) was proposed it could be voted on, passed, constructed, and operational in 4 years. By 2012 I think that it would really help the city. Road construction is still planned through 2030! That alone can't keep up, and a light-rail system would offer an attractive solution. It would also be more eco-friendly. With the large amount of college students that would be able to utilize the rail, it could help attract more out-of-town students. This would be a plus for UTSA which hopes to reach tier 1 status. It could also help with the college's attempt to get a football team operational. The city itself would, in my opinion, look more appealing in its attempt to land a pro-football (and other pro sports) team. It would be great for tourists as well!

http://images.nycsubway.org/i28000/img_28486.jpg
Picture of new light-rail system in Houston, and typical station.
world.nycsubway.org/United States/Houston, Texas

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: copyright pic - changed to links

Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 AM

679 posts, read 2,825,042 times
We have lightrail where I live and it is a godsend. I drive 7 minutes around the corner and park in the free lightrail parking lot and ride 25 minutes to work. I get off the lightrail, cross the street and walk into my building. Saves tons on gas. When I want to take a trip, I park in the free lightrail lot that has a special section for free 7-day airport parking, I get on the lightrail and ride to the metro station. Exit the train, cross the street and get on the free airport bus, which drops me off right in front of my airline terminal. Like I said, it is a godsend. SA doesn't know what it is missing. It will get a lot of traffic off of the street and transport a lot of people to work. The train goes right down the middle of the highway and then into the stations along the way. It will be interesting to see what comes of this. If it comes about, I wish they would extend it north, so I would have a way to get to the airport, when I travel.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,002,342 times
Just to demonstrate I used Google Earth to create a few possible starter routes:

http://www.geocities.com/gbcandrewst...rpleRoutes.jpg

[SIZE=2]Purple Route [1 mile][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Trinity University[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Brackenridge Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Yellow Route [1 mile][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Ft. Sam Houston[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Green Route [1 mile][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- SA Museum of Art[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Maverick Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Munincipal Auditorium[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Travis Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Korean War/ Veterans Memorial[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- U.S. Post Office[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Childrens Museum[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]-------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]
http://www.geocities.com/gbcandrewst...angeRoutes.jpg

[SIZE=2]Blue Route [1/2 mile][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Ripley's Believe It or Not[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Plaza Wax Museum[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Guiness World Record Museum[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Ripley's Haunted Adventure[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Texas Adventure Theater[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- S.A. Visitor's Center[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Buckhorn Museum[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Majestic Theater[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Empire Theater[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Alamo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Rivercenter Mall (& IMAX)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- La Villita[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Convention Center[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Red Route [1 mile][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- HemisFair Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Tower of the Americas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Institute of Texan Cultures[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Alamodome[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Durango Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Organe Route [1/2 mile][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Market Square[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Bexar County Courthouse[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Alameda Museum[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Spanish Governor Palace[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Casa Navarro State Historical Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Milam Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- O. Henry House[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- San Fernando Cathedral[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- UTSA Downtown Campus[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]--------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]http://www.geocities.com/gbcandrewstx/PinkRoute.jpg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]Pink Route [4 and 1/2 miles][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- San Antonio International Airport[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- University of the Incarnate World[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- San Antonio Zoo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]---------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Total: 9.5 miles (Houston's "starter" line was a $300 million 7.5 mile line)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]- Houston Rail Transit - Light Rail Transit - Public Transport - Light Rail Now[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: copyright pic - changed to links

Old 05-03-2007, 04:51 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,219,186 times
Why don't we start a movement? Start a website, make petitions, brain storm, contact the people that need to be contacted, etc, until we finally achive the goal.

I'll buy the domain.

Let us be pro active in this cause! Anyone in?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 AM

173 posts, read 614,866 times
I'd vote for a rail system. We lived in a suburb of Chicago for a while and it was great having Metra as well as the regular subway.

I bet so many in Boerne, New Braunfels, etc... would love to be able to walk or take a short drive from their home, hop on a train and read and sip their coffee while riding to work.

Also, I agree that the light-rail is a great idea! I think it would really help ease up some of the congestion. I bet we'd see some relief in the 1604/Potranco area if all those folks who commute to Lackland could ride a train to work.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,640,620 times
Before you get excited about Light Rail. Id consider the dramatic effects it can have on communities traversed or at "end of line". Ive witnessed first hand some of the negative effects of lightrail. Such as but not limited to, choking of existing roadways to accomodate new rail lines and translocation of large amounts of lower income families to suburban locations (great if you own large apt complexes in the area). As conveinient as Light Rail is for some it isnt for many others. It is costly as fares never cover costs and the rest would be gathered from fees levied against business or new bond issues. Id welcome Light Rail if it was designed to be self sufficient and not fee/tax supported. I really dont relish the idea of subsidizing the train ride of an urban professional so he/she can drink starbucks and read on the way to the office.

Squidlo

Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,802,662 times
I didn't vote, because I don't live in SA and didn't want to skew the results. I live in DFW and the light rail/mass transit system here is great, and growing everyday. I love good, safe, mass transit and I think it's something that be a tremendous boon to San Antonio, a city that already has so much going for it.

http://www.lightrail.com/photos/dall...placedart2.jpgDART in Dallas
http://www.lightrailnow.org/images/d...0624brx_lh.jpg
http://www.greatestcities.com/1275pic/550/CP16550.jpg/P1010183-dart1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2008 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: copyrighted pics - replaced w/links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio