U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,553,262 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, EISENHAUER ROAD FLEA MARKET have a number of venders who sell Oriental childrens clothes (maybe adult too), shoes and some housewear/decor items.

There is a large Asian Market on Walzem that is good. They always have live crabs, and have a large exotic frozen seafood selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM

70 posts, read 154,786 times
I am moving back to Mexico and will be shipping some boxes of things to San Antonio, then I will drive up and pick them up. I asked about the Chinese and Japanese items so I would know if it would be better to buy them here and ship them over or if I can get things there. I will want a Chinese blouse, Japanese tea set, Japanese rice bowls and appetizer/sushi plates. I bought a whole set of Chinese dishes, a lovely bamboo pattern in blue and green on white porcelain, here which I will be shipping. I lived in San Antonio for about 2 years in the mid-70s and was last there for a few days in 2000. I'm originally from Dallas.

Time: we are on Central European Time in Germany and it is 7 hours ahead of Central Time in the US.

Websites would be appreciated so I can check out what is available before I leave here. There are tons of Chinese stores with all kinds of things, including furniture, in Berlin, some excellent restaurants too.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-11-2009 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,628,583 times
I haven't seen almost anything chinese in San Antonio.
But I visited Houston (3 hours away) and they have an amazing chinese area that I bet you could find absolutely anything from China.

Houston Chinatown
Houston Chinatown Information
Houston Chinatown Map

FYI, since you said you were from Dallas, one time I drive through Dallas and ran into a huge korean area just East of the DFW airport. Looks like it's called "Koreatown, Dallas".

Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
There are plenty of places that sell dishes etc for Asian cooking....just not sure what you looking for. Everyday wear, or fine china? I've gotten rice bowls and Asian style plates, cups, chopsticks etc anywhere from Steinmart, Tuesday Morning, Pier I Imports, Ikea, but they do not specialize in Chinese items. And these would be more everyday basic items. Several antique stores have dealers that sell "Asian-style" china....not just Western style dishes made in China. If you have a good source there in Germany for clothes, you may be better off buying there and shipping that kind of thing since it doesn't weigh much.

There are plenty of places to buy online as well, but you'd have to do your specific search for whatever you need.

Good luck. The bottom line, SA is not really known for having a lot of specifically Chinese resources.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,524,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I haven't seen almost anything chinese in San Antonio.
But I visited Houston (3 hours away) and they have an amazing chinese area that I bet you could find absolutely anything from China.

Houston Chinatown
Houston Chinatown Information
Houston Chinatown Map

FYI, since you said you were from Dallas, one time I drive through Dallas and ran into a huge korean area just East of the DFW airport. Looks like it's called "Koreatown, Dallas".

I was just in Houston's Chinatown yesterday.

Dozens of dozens of strip malls of Chinese businesses.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
I think for the type of stuff you are looking for, Houston would be a much better place to look...or shop online.

San Antonio has good asian support for certain items, but personally I think Tims Asian Grocery on Bandara Rd has the best "asian" blend...and the areas in the Wurzbach/Ft Sam area have the best Korean offerings.

With Houston, you can find ANYTHING from Viet to Japanese, and in greater offerings.
Again, online is certainly an option these days.

Hope your move goes well...from Germany to Mexico is SOME change!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM

314 posts, read 722,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Seoul Oriental Market has the most Japanese food products as compared to other Asian markets in the area.
Try minano mart for Japanese food...Japanese owned and operated
Minnano Japanese Grocery - San Antonio, TX

Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 AM

18 posts, read 62,860 times
As the poster above me just posted Minnano, I also recommend it. Now, they don't have any clothes, but they do have Japanese tea sets that I've seen, dishes, etc. Ladies there are very friendly and yes it is Japanese owned. I spent time in Japan 3 times and I always go there when I'm craving something.

There is also Tokyo Mart, which has been around a bit longer than Minnano but it is way smaller. I don't remember them having clothes either. Tokyo Mart - Google Maps

It is right next to a restaurant called Tokyo Inn. Same owners. The store doesn't open on Mondays tho and I'm sure same goes for the weekend. Minnano is opened 5 days a week but I'm not sure about the weekends either.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 249 times
I need Asian
clothing where in San Antonio???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio