Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 23,100 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I am beside myself as I am out of ideas for how to deal with an ongoing issue with my neighbor. I have tried for a couple of years actually to get along with him. Recently, it was recommended to me I keep a forum going about his behaviors since I am told by police that he is looking to take me to court!! Last year we exchanged ph #'s, to keep in touch about neighborhood safety, etc. I didnt' realize that he would be calling me almost everyday to ask if I heard a noisey car, if my dog was barking, if I hear loud talking, etc. The truth it that of course I heard each of these things at different times! We are in a neighborhood where people LIVE. So I would talk to him nicely about hearing random noises but that they were short instances and I was not concerned about any of these things. Then he got really strange and called the cops to my house on April 1st (coincidence?) and they showed up saying they heard a woman screaming bloody murder from my house!! Me and my mom were asleep and I was in pj's. I told them I had NO IDEA what 'bad' neighbor was talking about. I offered for them to search the house and there was nothing to find. So 'bad' neighbor calls me later that day and says he doesn't appreciate me playing an April fools joke on him! I was so mad. I said 'you know, I don't appreciate YOU playing a joke on me.' He tried to make it seem like I was trying to manipulate him or something. I stayed very calm and said that I did not scream, no one in my house screamed and to not call me again. So now, a few months later, he starts calling about every noisey truck that drives thru the cul-de-sac. I tell him not to call me anymore and finally change my #. Then he yells at me over the fence, that my dog has been barking all day and to shut him up. I yell back that barking is what dogs do, because they are DOGS and come back inside my house with dog in tow. Let me describe this better: my 12lb poodle goes out at 7:30am, 5:30pm, 7pm and 8pm to do his business. He is an indoor dog that hates to be outside with me, thus he runs out, does his business then runs back inside. My side neighboor, on the other hand, has 2 rottweilers that bark A LOT, and when my dog hears them, he barks back - ONLY when he's outside for that few minutes. So this 'bad' neighbor is now calling the cops every few days to say my dog is barking all day and he is trying to build a case against me! I very nicely tell the cops the same story: my small dog is an indoor dog, he is only outside a few times each day for short periods (5min), and the side neighbor is the one with noisey dogs. They recommend I start documenting and video-taping my dog come and go outside to cover my bases. Does anyone have any ideas about documenting, and what to record?? I have never been in a situation like this before!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,575,621 times
I don't know if you are in or outside city limits in 78251. So take a look at these two threads regarding the dog issue.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...s-all-day.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ty-limits.html

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,822,668 times
I sincerely feel for you. I only wish we could choose our neighbors, if so I would have many great ones. There is no doubt that the Police will get tired of him amd hopefully tell him something to cut down on calls which waste their time. I know that it can be difficult to talk to neighbors when they are butts and then you have to worry about possible retaliation.
As hard as this may be I would tell him you are tired of his antics and are recording phone calls, shooting video's, etc. I would then tell him that you will file a restraining order against him if the nonsense continues. But mainly I would tell him his actions are taking a toll on your Mother's health (even if it is not to that point yet) Let him know that her health is your number one concern and if it doesn't stop the two of you will file a lawsuit.

I know this sound childish but some people need to be given threats even if they are idle ones.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Interesting angle! Maybe. I know he has a wife, too and how would they feel if I was harrassing them and taking up valuable time and effort? I can try this (after I calm down today - called the cops again!). Thanks!!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM

No, that's not near me. I'm on the otherside of the zip. I get it though. Overly noisy outside dogs are no fun either~

Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Do you have a Homeowners Association? I would attend the next monthly meeting and apprise them of the issues you are facing to see if there are any HOA by-laws that can help you in any way. It will also let them know of the issues in case you're not the only one dealing with these people. They're not going to want to get involved in "neighbor drama", but they also want to keep the investment everyone has in the community a safe one. Plus, it's just another way of you documenting things, having incidents on record.

I'd also go talk to your other neighbors. See if they've been harassed. This may have already happened.

As for dealing with your neighbor directly: at this point, I would not talk to him, I would not answer his calls, I would not even respond to his yelling over the fence. Just calmly write every incident you have with him down, the date, and the time. Don't be obstinate; just ignore him if he starts acting like a jerk. Keep it all in a spiral notebook.

That way, if you have to go to an attorney to get some sort of restraining order or other, you have your documents to show the judge of his history.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:51 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,645,978 times
Sounds like a job for Chigurh to take care of:

http://www.ugo.com/movies/psychopaths/images/entries/Anton.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM

LOL! That may be a little bit over board~

No, I forgot to mention that we don't have a HOA, so no luck there. But other neighbors have said he's done some kooky things over the years with them too. I just wrote up a polite note to each neighbor asking them to sign-on to this forum/thread to talk about their experiences too. I am hoping that folks will be honest about the things he's done or said to them too. I hadn't written anything specific down but do have some dates and a voice recording of a crazy message he left me once. I guess I'll start jotting everything down now. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Got your note.....wow lots of drama going on in our neighborhood these days!

I live on the same street as "bad neighbor"......I've heard he makes numerous call to SAPD complaining of all the neighbors around him that have dogs! He must not like dogs?

I came home late one night around 3am and he was walking in the neighborhood, I think he was looking into one of the neighbor's backyard? I was to creeped out to stop and ask him if he was OK. That next day I heard he got bit by a dog. Coincidence?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Sounds like a job for Chigurh to take care of:
Dang. You had to post that pic! He freaks me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio