Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Great news for savvy, green thinking SA

Quote:
For Immediate Release
December 11, 2009
Combs Announces Federal Stimulus Appliance Rebate Program

(AUSTIN) — Texas Comptroller Susan Combs today announced the state will use approximately $23 million in federal stimulus funds for a mail-in rebate program for consumers who purchase certain energy efficient household appliances.
The U.S. Department of Energy approved the rebates for consumers who buy eligible Energy Star appliances and replace the same type of old appliance that’s functional. The Texas program will also offer an incentive to recycle old appliances.
“Flat rebates will be given on Energy Star certified refrigerators, freezers, room air conditioners, central air conditioners, heat pumps, water heaters, clothes washers and dishwashers,” Combs said. “An additional $75 recycling rebate will go to consumers who buy an eligible appliance and recycle the same type of functional old appliance.”
The mail-in rebates will apply to eligible appliances purchased between April 16 and April 25, 2010. The 10-day period will coincide with Earth Day. Offering the program next spring will give retailers time to stock up on appliances, give the state time to select a vendor to administer the rebates, and allow ample time to inform consumers about details of the rebate program.

“We want to create a program that works for Texas — one that stimulates retail, helps consumers save money and energy and conserves our natural resources by responsibly disposing of as many old appliances as possible,” Combs said. “The rebates will focus on the appliances that will save the most energy and water for Texas.”

The rebates are as follows:
Appliance Rebate With $75 Recycling Rebate
Refrigerator $240 $315
Freezer $180 $255
Room Air Conditioner $45 $120
Clothes Washer $150 or $180* $225 or $255
Dishwasher $110 or $140* $185 or $215
Central Air Conditioner $600 , $800 or $1,000* $675, $875 or $1,075
Heat Pump $1,200 – $1,600* $1,275 – $1,675
Water Heater $255 – $640* $330 – $715

*depending on appliance type and energy efficiency of model purchased
Consumers will have an opportunity to reserve an appliance rebate by calling a toll-free number or registering online approximately two weeks prior to April 16, 2010. After the reserved mail-in rebates are awarded, any remaining funds will be rebated to consumers on a first-come, first-served basis. Shoppers will be limited to two appliance rebates and two recycling rebates per household.

The Comptroller’s State Energy Conservation Office is also working with retailers and recycling facilities to create a system to help consumers replace functional old appliances and recycle them where available.
Further information on the rebate program will be announced as details are finalized. Consumers can sign up for e-mail updates on the rebate program at www.secostimulus.org/rebate.
Energy efficiency to pay off more
By Vicki Vaughan - Express-News

Moderator cut: excerpt from copyrighted article above, replaced with non-copyrighted news release above.

Quote:
Also, CPS Energy, San Antonio's city-owned utility, promises that its rebate program – broadened this year – will be enhanced in 2010.

Consumers will be able to apply for the state's stimulus rebates even if they're already getting a rebate from CPS, officials said.
CPS's rebate program will be posted on its Web site Monday.

Read more at Energy efficiency to pay off more

Last edited by Bo; 12-31-2009 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, don't post long excerpts of copyrighted material. Just 2 sentences and a link, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 AM

134 posts, read 384,740 times
For the appliance rebate don't forget the amount you get back varies depending on how energy efficient the unit is. We are going to take advantage of that and purchase the new super efficient GE hybrid (heat pump) water heater at that time to save a lot of money (about $715). Our existing wh is on it's last legs with about half the hot water it used to have. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long, I'm tired of taking super fast showers.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egeorge View Post
For the appliance rebate don't forget the amount you get back varies depending on how energy efficient the unit is. We are going to take advantage of that and purchase the new super efficient GE hybrid (heat pump) water heater at that time to save a lot of money (about $715). Our existing wh is on it's last legs with about half the hot water it used to have. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long, I'm tired of taking super fast showers.
Is it tankless?? I am waiting for my old water heater to die...

Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 AM

199 posts, read 707,618 times
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I will probably have to buy a washing machine soon, so I will wait until April.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Too late...I already purchased our new A/C system about a month ago when our old unit went out again. Well, at least I'm getting $440 credit from CPS and $1500 tax credit from IRS.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM

134 posts, read 384,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is it tankless?? I am waiting for my old water heater to die...
No, these are even more efficient than tankless. They are pretty new, at least in the U.S. See this PDF for a chart comparing the efficiency of water heating types.
http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/WH_LCC_1107.pdf (broken link)

Here is the one we are getting from GE. Rheem also has one but it isn't quite as efficient and the warranty is shorter.
http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pum...d_water_heater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio