U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 AM

59 posts, read 46,775 times
Default What's your Pool Temp?

I am curious about people's pools - first of all, what is the temperature of your pool, after your hot summer? Is it refreshing to go in, or is it like a hot tub? Also, is Pebble-Tec (or a similar product) used much for pools there, or are they all plaster?

(Considering a move to SA...just looking at all of the factors!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 AM

12,116 posts, read 7,317,421 times
Mine stays at around 73 degrees. That is refreshing in the summer but a bit cool in the fall. Most of the pool owners I know have plaster pools. I do, too.

I kept a photo diary of the pool construction back in 1980. I ran across the pictures the other day. I had forgotten that it snowed before the pool was finished. I was out there in a winter coat in the snow looking at the hole in the ground.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 AM

69 posts, read 118,430 times
dark blue colored plaster
peaks about 96 in summer
about 81 now

Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 AM

556 posts, read 1,040,923 times
White plaster pool - no heater or cover used - our pool is 'open' all year long - we're like Ketabcha - low to mid 70's all summer - late August - might get near 80.....first cool off, back down really cool - and much too cold for me to swim For me personally - it 'feels' refreshing all summer long.....even with our brutal summer this year - our pool never got 'bathtub' warm. SO swims all year long......

I've heard the darker plaster colors retain heat better - any truth to that I wonder?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:58 PM

That is one reason why I asked about plaster vs. Pebble-Tec. We are in SoCal, and changed our pool from white plaster to grayish Pebble-Tec. It's not that dark, but it radically increased our pool temperature. I was wondering if, with your high temperatures this summer, if it made your pools unusable! It sounds like for a plaster pool, it's not an issue - great news!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 PM

17 posts, read 40,687 times
Where in SoCal? We moved out a year ago...

Anyway, we have Pebble Tec - kind of a tan color - makes the water look jade green. Haven't noticed the water temp being particularly hi - usually low to mid 80s in the summer. Only one company does Pebble Tec here - Keith Zars.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM

We are in central Orange County - looking to get out before the Big One hits! (earthquake, not mortgage crisis - that big one already hit...) We have enjoyed our Pebble-tec - lots of builders are doing it here. I think that Keith Zars may be out of our price range, from what I've heard!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM

17 posts, read 40,687 times
We were in Irvine (near Jamboree and Portola). I'm originally from here and much of my wife's family moved out here. It's a great place to live, but there are things I will always miss about California...

Don't be too sure about Keith Zars - we bid out our pool to Gary's and River Oak. Zars beat them all. I don't know precisely how much the Pebble Tec cost, but it wasn't much. Depending on where you are going to be and how deep you want your pool, the biggest variable may be rock excavation.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 6,296,119 times
Pebble Tec is a brand that Zars uses, but all these guys have similar products.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 AM

54 posts, read 66,715 times
The color of the pools finish, plaster or another product, will increase or decrease the ambient water temperature. Last summer we built two pools next door to each other. Both pools were finished in marcite plaster. One pool was a charcoal grey and the other was a light grey. The charcoal pool, with similar sun exposure, was 14-16 degrees warmer, almost to the point of discomfort for our homeowner.
As for upgraded pool finishes: Stonescapes, Pebble-Tec and Wet Edge are all similar products with my favorite being wet edge. There is also beadcrete and quartz as options as well. Out of these beadcrete is by far the most expensive. Quartz is an affordable option and a very hardy finish. The main reason for upgrading a pools finish from marcite plaster if the "hardiness" of the finish itself. All of the aforementioned upgraded finishes will outlast traditional plaster, some by double or triple.
Wether re-finishing an existing pool or constructing a new pool it is best to talk with your contractor about the various options and determine what works best for you in regards to your budget and your expectations, both for aesthetics and functional purposes.
The type of finish will not impact your water temp, the color will. Hope this helps.
Moderator cut: contact information. I am a higher end custom builder in the area and don't mind sharing ideas or helping with anyone's questions. Have a great day.

Last edited by Bo; 10-15-2009 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Share contact information in your profile only, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio