Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM

41 posts, read 88,973 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think about them? Personally with so much recycling space, I'm generating very little garbage. I think it would take me six months to fill up the garbage can so I'm tossing mine in with the duplex next door.

Those things are monsters! And they take up a lot of space. I would think some elderly folks might have trouble maneuvering them.

I'm also wondering if the city has laid off workers to implement the new system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
We don't have the recycling where we live but we have the huge trash can from Tiger. I am lucky that I can just leave it out by the road and don't have to haul it back and forth but I love the can!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

81 posts, read 232,403 times
just takes some getting used to, not bad at all

i think you can ask for smaller containers

http://www.sanantonio.gov/swmd/solidwaste/Autom_FAQ.asp

What if the cart is too big for me to roll to the curb?

The carts are constructed and balanced so that most people can easily move a full cart to the curb. If you have physical limitations prohibiting the use of this cart, please call 311 and ESD Departmental representative will contact you.

Last edited by Taco-n-Beer; 03-17-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
One of the stipulations for the city to agree to go automated was that no one would lose their job. Also, I've skipped weeks to get my cans full, and they are just as easy to maneuver full as they are when empty. I would think someone would have to be extremely tiny and frail to not be able to handle them, but as mentioned, you can ask for smaller ones.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
We LOVE the new system, AND our truck driver!!! He always waves if we're out there, and has even gotten OUT of the truck and come get the cart for us a couple of times when we've forgotten! I kid you not!!! You know that guy is getting a Christmas present every year!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
One of the stipulations for the city to agree to go automated was that no one would lose their job. Also, I've skipped weeks to get my cans full, and they are just as easy to maneuver full as they are when empty. I would think someone would have to be extremely tiny and frail to not be able to handle them, but as mentioned, you can ask for smaller ones.
I am neither tiny or frailI just prefer to leave it out there. Don't really have a place or want it by the house. I have actually seen people driving by and place something in there that they would have just thrown to the ground.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Today's our first day with the new cans, but I've used them before in Indiana. They are indeed huge. As it is we skipped weeks before because we had little trash....now we could go even longer. I like the big recycling can too - it'll take awhile to fill it as well, but we used to have overflowing recycle bins. Now it's a little better managed, and a little neater.

Overall, this system is much neater. No worries about trash cans being tossed and broken. I'll use my old trash can for another compost bin.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
We are getting them sometime in April and am actually really excited. (u know ure lame when ure looking forward to a new garbage system)

Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I've come close to filling the recycle can a few times. I have a couple of neighbors who fill them so full that they can't get the lid closed.

My garbage can has just 1 kitchen-can sized bag in it most weeks.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
We are getting them sometime in April and am actually really excited. (u know ure lame when ure looking forward to a new garbage system)
You'll really like them! If you have a brain fart and miss a week, you're usually OK. They are ginormous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio