U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,713,783 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to SA in July. In looking online for housing, I came across a few houses from different parts of Westcreek. Can anyone comment on the different areas that encompass Westcreek and which are better than others?
I saw what looks like a nice home that's listed as "Heights of Westcreek". (SORRY>>>>IT WAS WESTCREEK ESTATES)
I kind of like the idea of a tough HOA, which my realtor has told us.

ESTATES any good?

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 05-03-2007 at 09:32 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,370,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
We will be moving to SA in July. In looking online for housing, I came across a few houses from different parts of Westcreek. Can anyone comment on the different areas that encompass Westcreek and which are better than others?
I saw what looks like a nice home that's listed as "Heights of Westcreek".
I kind of like the idea of a tough HOA, which my realtor has told us.

Heights any good?
I think you mean Highpoint. That is the newest "Village" of Westcreek. Most of the good views are gone and what's left is near Talley Road. Nice houses (Lennar and Armadillo, but Lennar owns most of the remaining lots). The only remaining unbuilt area will be McMillin Homes across from the new Westcreek clubhouse. The Wynwood Village is across the street from Highpoint. These are nice homes (I believe DR Horton). Most of Westcreek are Centax homes with some other builders thrown in. When all the building is complete, then there should be 3,250 homes in Westcreek. Here is the Westcreed web site link the the villages and associated steets:

http://villagesofwestcreek.com/streetnames.php (broken link)

Old 05-04-2007, 05:00 AM

173 posts, read 556,671 times
We recently bought in WC after renting in WC for the past year. I have jogged all around WC so I have gotten to see a lot of the different subdivisions. Now, this is JUST my opinion but here's my take on which areas I prefer.

The Royal Oaks, The Oaks, The Bluffs, The Hills, The Hollow, The Woods, Willowbrook.
These areas are well established w/ nice trees, landscaping, etc... Majority of the homes look like they are in great condition.

These subdivisions are ones I would not consider:

Country Oaks, The Gardens, Quail Meadow, The Forrest, The Pointe, The Summit.
Homes are not terrible but more than a few are showing their age....need paint, poor landscaping, etc... Other areas have small front yards and/or homes really close together. In general just not as much "curb appeal" as other areas.

The Highpoint and Wynwood are really nice but since they are new areas you may have to shell out $$$ to get some trees and landscaping as well as spending $$ to customize such a new home.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:11 AM

314 posts, read 2,381,461 times
Here's another thread on Westcreek in case you have yet to read it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...f+westcreek%27

Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Speaking of yards in Westcreek. If the back of your house faces Military Drive West or Westcreek Oaks, then your backyard will be very shallow. Most of the houses appear to have 10-20 feet between the fence and the house.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM

314 posts, read 2,381,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Speaking of yards in Westcreek. If the back of your house faces Military Drive West or Westcreek Oaks, then your backyard will be very shallow. Most of the houses appear to have 10-20 feet between the fence and the house.
Not to mention road noise. My co-worker has rented 2 houses in Westcreek. One with the back yard facing Westcreek Oaks, and one not. He noticed a big difference, because he liked to keep his windows open in the summer.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,713,783 times
That's all good information. We are coming out at the end of June to hopefully make an offer on something. Looking to spend approx. 175K on either a 3 or 4 bedroom home. We have a young son and plan to add another child within the next 2 years.
I understand the WC is just outside the city limits and therefore, not subject to city taxes (for now). Can you guys suggest other developments that have decent HOA's, within the Northside School District and are outside the city limits?
We have been looking at Westcreek and Wildhorse so far. Both seem in our price range and decent areas.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:53 PM

422 posts, read 1,332,141 times
I live in the Estates. haven't had an issue the 5 years i've been there. My kids go to Galm elementary and love it there. My house was one of the first built, so I actually have a huge tree in my back yard. All though the newer streets look like they didn't keep much trees for some reason.

A lot of military families constantly moving in and out of the neighborhood.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
We recently bought in WC after renting in WC for the past year. I have jogged all around WC so I have gotten to see a lot of the different subdivisions. Now, this is JUST my opinion but here's my take on which areas I prefer.

The Royal Oaks, The Oaks, The Bluffs, The Hills, The Hollow, The Woods, Willowbrook.
These areas are well established w/ nice trees, landscaping, etc... Majority of the homes look like they are in great condition.

These subdivisions are ones I would not consider:

Country Oaks, The Gardens, Quail Meadow, The Forrest, The Pointe, The Summit.
Homes are not terrible but more than a few are showing their age....need paint, poor landscaping, etc... Other areas have small front yards and/or homes really close together. In general just not as much "curb appeal" as other areas.

The Highpoint and Wynwood are really nice but since they are new areas you may have to shell out $$$ to get some trees and landscaping as well as spending $$ to customize such a new home.

Good luck.
If you're talking about "curb appeal", then the Westcreek Subdivision's common areas, especially the median on Military Drive West, would rate below your "not consider" villages. Basically, all the grass is gone and in its place is clover and weeds. Granted, the HOA keeps it cut low so it appears to be grass from a distance. Also, some of the trees are dead and need to be replaced, not just pulled out with just a supporting pole standing there by itself.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
That's all good information. We are coming out at the end of June to hopefully make an offer on something. Looking to spend approx. 175K on either a 3 or 4 bedroom home. We have a young son and plan to add another child within the next 2 years.
I understand the WC is just outside the city limits and therefore, not subject to city taxes (for now). Can you guys suggest other developments that have decent HOA's, within the Northside School District and are outside the city limits?
We have been looking at Westcreek and Wildhorse so far. Both seem in our price range and decent areas.
Though being outside city limits is cheaper, there are some downsides to this. Sheriff Department instead of SA PD, volunteer fire department instead of SA FD (our areas Vol FD is good, but too stretched out with all the growth), no VIA bus service (in Westcreek), and no street lights in most subdivisions (there are a few in Westcreek). Also, you pay more for trash pick-up (a lot more), water, and sewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio