U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,902,982 times

Advertisements

Is there an old abandoned haunted asylum in SA? How about a club where people (older people not teens) go out and explore the old happenings in SA?

Ohhhh wouldnt this be fun?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM

546 posts, read 1,315,615 times
I remember there being one out by the train tracks near the old missions. I believe the rd is called Southton and near 37. I believe you act like your going to the tracks down villamain rd then turn on a road called shane and then shane hits southton. I went there a few times back in hs (about 10 yrs ago) had the crap scared out of me and returned another time only to have the same thing happen again.lol

Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,736,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
I remember there being one out by the train tracks near the old missions. I believe the rd is called Southton and near 37. I believe you act like your going to the tracks down villamain rd then turn on a road called shane and then shane hits southton. I went there a few times back in hs (about 10 yrs ago) had the crap scared out of me and returned another time only to have the same thing happen again.lol
It would be a good idea to not go to the Southton Asylum. It is totally abandoned and has many people that sneak in and vandalize the interior. It is trespassing on county property. There is definitely a caretaker out there that will fire buckshot or rock salt or something NOT FUN at your backside.

This may be more to your liking. Yorktown Memorial Hospital - Home

They have someone on the grounds that is a caretaker and allow visits, sleepovers and paranormal investigations.

You may want to check out Victoria's Black Swan as well. They have similar activities. It does cost, but it's reasonable for group rates. If I can get the web site I will pass it on.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,155,956 times
All the info you want is in this thread...

Haunted in San Antonio

As a matter of fact, this one will probably be merged into it.

Oh, and the so-called "insane asylum" is on city property covered in 'No Trespassing' signs; so it would be a bad idea to go there as it is regularly patrolled and you will be arrested if caught!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,736,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
All the info you want is in this thread...

Haunted in San Antonio

As a matter of fact, this one will probably be merged into it.

Oh, and the so-called "insane asylum" is on city property covered in 'No Trespassing' signs; so it would be a bad idea to go there as it is regularly patrolled and you will be arrested if caught!

Cheers! M2
Just an update Maj....the "insane asylum" in Southton was determined to be a "home for the aged". It also served as a TB hospital and children's hospital separately and in combination with the others. They often were called "asylums" but this one wasn't for the "insane". That was the Southwestern Insane Asylum, now the State Hospital.

The "haunted in SA thread" is a general thread about a lot of places with so called paranormal activity. From what I'm reading, she is wanting specifics about a place to go visit and stay. The Yorktown Hospital web site has great photos and FAQs about their visits. They coordinate things with Victoria's Black Swan and have guides to take them on the visits to insure safety. The web site says it all.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 PM

574 posts, read 1,163,634 times
There may be a "ghost hunters" type group on Meetup.com, I think I recall seeing something like that on the site.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:02 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,155,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Just an update Maj....the "insane asylum" in Southton was determined to be a "home for the aged". It also served as a TB hospital and children's hospital separately and in combination with the others. They often were called "asylums" but this one wasn't for the "insane". That was the Southwestern Insane Asylum, now the State Hospital.

The "haunted in SA thread" is a general thread about a lot of places with so called paranormal activity. From what I'm reading, she is wanting specifics about a place to go visit and stay. The Yorktown Hospital web site has great photos and FAQs about their visits. They coordinate things with Victoria's Black Swan and have guides to take them on the visits to insure safety. The web site says it all.
Thanks, but I realized the so-called "insane asylum" wasn't exactly that which was why I put quotes around it.

Secondly, the OP's first question was "Is there an old abandoned haunted asylum in SA?" which leads me to believe they weren't looking for a place to stay (unless they like staying in abandoned buildings). If I got that wrong, I apologize; but from the post I believed the OP was looking for the infamous haunted "insane asylum" south of the missions...

But the Yorktown hospital looks pretty cool, I wonder why it wasn't brought up in the haunted thread...other than it is 75 mile away from SA...

Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 AM

361 posts, read 823,552 times
San Antonio ghost hunters, San Antonio ghost tours, Texas ghost, San Antonio paranormal investigators, Alamo City Ghost, - Home

Welcome to www.paranormalinvestigations.org

I know the guy who runs this site. He used to be a neighbor of mine.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 AM

173 posts, read 540,271 times
The facility at Southton was *never* any form of asylum or childrens hospital. Im continually amazed at the amount of misinformation out there regarding this. Ive done a huge amount of research on this topic. The Bexar County Home for the Aged and the School for Boys as well as the County 'poor farm' were all located on the same tract of land in south Bexar County. In my opinion, it was easier to keep all the 'undesireables' in one location. The school for boys and the home for the aged were built in 1915 with the HFTA replacing the dilapititated poor farm that was a civil war era facility. A smallpox and TB colony were also added to the property at a later date. In the mid 30's, the School for Boys was basically abandoned and a different facility (WPA project) was built about a mile away, which still stands today but is a drug/alcohol rehab facility. Bexar County had a horrible history with TB, so much so that we were losing hundreds of people a year to the disease back in the teens and twenties. Eventually, the SA Chest Hospital was built and some of the buildings from the Southton location were relocated to the new location of the hospital. The old TB hospital was razed sometime in 1986. The debris was bulldozed to an area on the Southton property.

The Home for the Aged (the poor farm) had a number of problems going on such as complaints of poor care of the residents as well as them not being fed properly. There was a dairy farm located on the property and the running complaint was that the staff ate quite well, receiving milk several times a week, while the residents did not. Additionally, the property also supported a county cemetery and for a number of years, all of the indigent people, unidentified people, stillborn children from area hospitals etc. were all buried there. This cemetery was later relocated to prepare for a pending sale of the property that, from what I can tell, never happened.

The property today is County property on the land managed by Bexar County Public Works. The facility and the property are strictly off limits and the Sheriff's Office does enforce the Criminal Trespass law. If you are caught there, you will go to jail no questions asked. Past that, the area is a high crime area and you are risking your safety, your vehicle etc. by hanging out there. As Halloween approaches, Sheriff's patrols will increase and on Halloween, the street will be closed completely except to residents of the area. If anyone has any questions, please contact me directly if you want.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,902,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post

That is so cool! Thanks for all your knowledge... !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio