Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 AM

39 posts, read 178,519 times

Advertisements

Some of these threads have freaked me out a bit. Any advice of cultural dos and donts that are specific to SA? Advice for a newbie? Should I get a gun? Is driving really that dangerous? What should I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Crime in SA is not bad, IMO. I've never felt unsafe in the 20 years I've lived here. And I've had to be in some of the "scarier" areas of town for work.

If you're referring to the recent post about San Antonio sterotypes, don't worry. No one is going to shoot you because you honk your car horn, don't use a blinker, or go a little bit slower than what they might like.

While I found that post humorous, I also found that about 90% of the things in that post are completely untrue.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:30 AM

39 posts, read 178,519 times
thanks texas rose! i think since i'm in that place where i'm anticipating moving, but not yet doing it, i'm going that crazy questioning stage where i want to evaluate and try to anticipate every possible eventuality. not possible.

but i do have another random cultural question: is it the etiquette in SA or the burbs to pull over and stop to let a funeral pass? it is in TN, but i did that in another state once and people looked at me like 'why the hell are you stopped in the middle of the street'?

Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,213 times
I'd say it's more common that not. I always pull over and stop, and while there are always people that also stop, there are also those that keep going.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
San Antonio ranked #7 in America's safest cities with a population of 500,000 plus.

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#500,000+

Old 05-04-2007, 10:52 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Other Texas cities on that list (500,000+):

El Paso #3 safest.
Austin #5 safest.
Fort Worth #9 safest.
Houston #10 most dangerous.
Dallas #6 most dangerous.

Interesting stuff.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Property crime is the biggest crime in San Antonio. A large amount of that is against cars, so do not keep valuables in sight. If someone is going to break into your home, it seems that daytime is preferred as most people are not home. Though, there have been a few home invasions on the news during the last few months. That is not a high number for 1.2 million people, but for peace of mind you might want to have a gun in the house as many Texans do.

As for driving, drive defensively and don't trust anyone. That is the best advice I have for driving here. I have driven in many states and even overseas on the other side of the road, and basically, people either drive too fast, don't pay attention while driving, or just plain drive aggressively. Also, there are more accidents during rain as some people do not adjust their driving accordingly.

BTW, some Texans will pull over and drive along the paved shoulder of the road to let a person pass on two-way roads. Just wave a thank you when you pass them.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maowkss View Post
Some of these threads have freaked me out a bit. Any advice of cultural dos and donts that are specific to SA? Advice for a newbie? Should I get a gun? Is driving really that dangerous? What should I know?
No you DON'T want to buy a gun (we are just joshing with all this you get shot for doing this and that stuff) and NO, you will find that the driving is ANNOYING vs dangerous here. Like any big city, rush hour and constant construction trying to keep up with the city's growth are annoying.

What should you know??? That we are FRIENDLY, that folks here HELP each other, that no one knows a stranger and that is WHY so many folks are moving here...there is a reason for that. We are diverse, fun loving, respectful folks who merge to make one of the most exciting, fun, relaxing and just down right wonderful places you could want to visit or move to!!!

And YES, we also so respect to those that have passed and their family and friends by pulling over and allowing them the right of way!!!!!

In fact, when we were driving to Ft Sam Houston cemetary to bury my brother who was a police officer shot and killed in the line of duty in 1999, folks got out, put their hands over their hearts, put their hats over their hearts and even school kids were lined up with flags at the little school to the back of Ft Sam Section II. We were so impressed with the fact that traffic going in the opposite direction on a major freeway stopped to show their respect. THAT is the kind of place you are considering moving to!!!! The 7th largest city in the nation with a small town heart.

We are good people and you will LOVE living here!!!!
WELCOME YA'LL!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM

94 posts, read 654,706 times
Wooooo Hoooooo !! I love this forum

Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 PM
TVI

4 posts, read 9,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maowkss View Post
You don't need a gun. I've lived here since 1975, and I've never owned a gun.

The only requirement for moving here is that you have to promise to root for the Spurs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio