U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 AM

26 posts, read 110,598 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio today that the work will be starting pretty soon and will be completed by the end of the summer hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,328,749 times
It's a band-aid. Nothing more. It'll help alleviate some of the traffic, until they get some overpasses done. But who knows when that'll actually be.

It's better than nothing.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,028,027 times
Seems to me that if they widened Bulverde Rd from 1604 Northward, it would help alleviate a lot of the problems on 281. Also, why don't they remove the stop light at Encino Rio on 281? Is there that much traffice on Encino Rio(other than the strip center)?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM

824 posts, read 1,605,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Seems to me that if they widened Bulverde Rd from 1604 Northward, it would help alleviate a lot of the problems on 281. Also, why don't they remove the stop light at Encino Rio on 281? Is there that much traffice on Encino Rio(other than the strip center)?
Who exactly are the "they" you're referring to? And where will "they" find the money to widen Bulverde?

And if the light at Encino Rio was removed, there would be virtually no way to cross 281. So, probably not a good idea.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,439,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
The problem is how to pay for that...that's what the toll option was for. The stop light at Encino Rio has been there longer than most anything else...there would be absolutely no way to cross the highway without it.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM

330 posts, read 831,264 times
The county and city can pay for it the same way they paid to widen Blanco from Hardy Oak to Huebner Rd! All of a sudden because most are opposed to the tolls the issue is now how to pay for it.....

Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,457,879 times
the issue has always been how to pay for it.

Luckily for this band aide idea - it was shovel ready and picked up some coin from the stimulus.

But for any long term solutions to the area's problems there needs to be a large undertaking that will substantially allow for added capacity in the region.

Overpasses would work - sort of. Where will the money come from? That was what the toll road was going to do - provide for a funding mechanism to allow for the bypassing of the traffic lights at the intersections. However, the toll road idea also allowed for the creation of access roads so that folks wouldn't get killed entering 281 from HEB parking lot. Thats one thing that the "overpasses" alone won't fix - ingress and egress for business and side streets.

Widening Blanco is a good start for alleviating the traffic from the west side of stone oak - however, there are still traffic signals over there that can really snarl traffic at the heaviest traffic times. This money didn't come from nowhere. I believe it was in a Bond package proposed by the city and approved by the voters.

The widening of Bulverde is in the works and pretty much all planned out as best I can remember. I think all they are waiting on is funding. The key here again - where will the money come from?

Actually according to this site - the widening should have already started. Clocking In

Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,028,027 times
I guess I should have been more specific about who "they" are. That would be TXDot. And you've got to be kidding about where the money would come from. Seems like "they", meaning TxDot, always find a way to fund the projects "they"(and not necessarily the public) want. The 281 area has long been put off. Should have been done when Evans road looked like a pasture. BTW, I don't live anywhere near that area, but do drive through there on occasion.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,877,040 times
Perhaps a special taxing district should be imposed for that area over the aquifer. Let the businesses and home owners that are living , doing business and over populating that area pay for fixing the problem. I know that will be about as popular as a landfill in the neighborhood but people will get used to it and it will serve a useful purpose. That seems fair. One side of town gets the landfills, power plants, garbage recycling centers and halfway houses for convicts. The other side gets McMansion sub-divisions, strip malls, great schools, the inevitable traffic and high enough taxes to fix their own problems. You wouldn't have to pay the high taxes. You could always move. Hey the fishing is great at Calaveras Lake.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 AM

137 posts, read 246,846 times
They is us. And after we pay for a toll road, we will pay to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio