Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times

Advertisements

2nd person died,
Quote:
Gregory Bruehler, 42, died at University Hospital about an hour after the accident, which occurred around 10:45 a.m. in the 18500 block of Texas 16, about three miles north of Helotes, according to authorities. Both cyclists were wearing helmets.
Bruehler's companion, a 36-year-old woman, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her identity had yet to be released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
2nd person died,
So so sad. The rest of the article was deleted so I cant go back and read it. The truck driver was at fault? Will he be charged with 2 counts now?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:17 PM

It seems that the two cyclists, Gregory, and his wife, Alexandra, were in another accident, in 2007, hit by a drunk driver, He lost his mother then, and they had their child with them, the 3 of them survived, and thru rehab were back riding, and Alex even ran in the New York Marathon in 2008, now to be killed on the road again. It seems that, at least they were doing what they loved doing. My condolences to their family and especially to their child.

Truck driver's name hasn't been released, alcohol doesn't seem to be involved. just lack of attention to the road. Murder by Verizon

Last edited by sinsativ; 10-01-2009 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Respectful spelling of names

Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
I live in Helotes and I think I've seen that couple before--there aren't many on two seated cycles. About a year ago I believe another cyclist was hit on Bandera road outside of 1604 right in front of Blockbuster. The road was blocked off by police and then the next day I saw a bicycle wheel monument on the side of the road...it's a dangerous thing to do on a busy street...especially when the speed limit is 55mph.

[mod]signature[/mod]

Last edited by Bo; 10-01-2009 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, don't add signatures to your posts.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM

For those of you that think SA isn't Bike friendly, and we don't ride that much, follow this link, check out just the ones that are listed. This should open your eyes as to what is going on.
Area bike rides (http://www.livinggreensa.com/Area_bike_rides.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I would like to ask a question about bicycles on roads like Talley Road and Wiseman Blvd, and this is just a question..

Why is it legal on dangerous road like these that have so many dangerous curves and blind spots? How it is legal to put so many lives in danger? These roads are dangerous enough as it is. Every so often you see MANY bicyclist, adults and children a like, riding all over the road with no respect to safety of themselves or others.. They do not all stay on the side where there is room to pass, so cars pass them anyway ( not me, it scares me to death) thus making an accident more possible putting everyone in jeopardy. Is there nio minimum speed anymore?

I know this is a touchy subject to some people, I'm not trying to stir any emotions on this but I would love to know.
As much as my sympathy goes out to these families, I have lived in The UK where bicyclist (I am being serious) thought they were the kings of the road. They would pull out in front of a moving vechicle regardless of speed and they even wage war with drivers. This being on tiny roads and roundabouts.

Regardless whether you are the person behind the wheel, the cyclist, and or a pedestrian my belief is always look out for one another and be safe.

Ban texting and calls while driving...impose fines to cyclist who don't wear their helmets or adhere to road laws...I am being serious about this because I saw someone in NYC on a bicycle who ran a red light going against traffic and smashed into a man who was crossing on the crosswalk (that jerk on the bike deserved a fine!)

Sometimes we believe that we are the only people in the world and that no one else matters but ourselves. Yet if you look around you will see that you are not alone. It irks me nowadays that no one shows respect or compassion for one another whether it be it on the road, in line at the store, or just a simple good morning or thank you, please, excuse me. It irks me even more when we raise our kids on the same way and when they get behind the wheel they are more dangerous than I think I ever was or anybody else for that matter.

Even though alcohol is not a factor in this case, it makes me wonder how you could hit someone and smash up your car that bad? What were you doing? What were they doing? These questions are probably the same questions these families are asking themselves right now. Although I don't know them personally..I feel for them because I see the bad behavior of drivers in San Antonio (city data has a thread on it as proof) and I wish there was an end to it. I am not saying that I am a saint... but as a mom and possibly quite hormonal right now hmmmmmm...it just sadden me. Oh the joys of having a baby.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
OMG..I didnt read the rest of the thread before I posted my last comment! My sincerest condolences goes out to their families and their child. How awful!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
Very sad story.

Yesterday we were driving down Talley Rd, behind a cyclist. He didn't care at all that there were cars around, and freely swerved into the lanes and back out - and not just a little bit, I mean all over the place. He had all of his gear on, was busy getting a drink, etc. The cars coming the opposite direction were flashing lights, people behind us were honking.

I agree that we need to be careful around cyclists. But, cyclists need to remember that whether or not they have room to ride, that cars are big heavy metal pieces most often driven by irritated irrational people, and can kill them. Sad juxta I 'spose. I would like to see more bike lanes, just to give them some protection.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you are suicidal if you're going to ride a bike down those roads and the many others like it.

I had a close incident with one not too long ago because the fool was in the road instead of the extra room outside the white line. Luckily the bicyclists aren't as bad as the motorcyclists, though. Any time I hear of an accident involving them I figure they deserved it. I don't think I've found one yet that didn't drive wreckless and with an attitude. I used to have a bike and I know that's not the way to be. You always lose, ALWAYS. Ride smart and assume everyone is going to hit you.
Exactly. The odds are just against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
For those of you that think SA isn't Bike friendly, and we don't ride that much, follow this link, check out just the ones that are listed. This should open your eyes as to what is going on.
Area bike rides (http://www.livinggreensa.com/Area_bike_rides.html - broken link)
Thx for this!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
RIP Greg and Alexandra. How sad for their child today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio