U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,401,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Cement Trucks are the hardest to stop! if he's blowing his horn, it doesnt matter if hes doing 60 in a 40! Its a way for him to let you know that he's not gonna stop, and its up to you to decide if you want to live to tell bout it or not. Because the first thing that Accident investigators are going to ask you is... well obvious isnt it?
those cement trucks scare the bizzesus out of me and I do whatever I can to get out of their way whenever I see one flying up behind me. They just don't brake. Period.

Friend told me the drivers -- back east anyway -- get paid by the load, not the hour. So once they finish the trips they are scheduled for that day they get to go home, which may explain why they are always doing 90 down some residential street.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 PM

160 posts, read 124,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
oh my gooosh. My nominee for the day is the nasty guy in the early 200s Dodge Ram. Today, I'm minding my own business, jamming out to Amy Winehouse on my way home. I was right in front of the De Zavala/ Silicon light in a line of cars (probably about four cars). Off to the left of me decided they didn't want to turn left on to Silicon anymore so they just slightly pulled over in to my lane. I honked like hell. No signal no nothing. He would have hit me pretty hard on the driver's side had I not honked at him.

I kept going... a bit shaken I could feel the truck coming up next to me (not any of the cars behind me!). It was so uncalled for. A slight flipping off would be appropriate for the guy and for me...but my lane was stopped (the left lane that always slows down because the lane goes down from 2 to 1 after the post office...) anyway..the guy stops in the empty lane next to me and starts yelling me. I have no idea what he was saying to me because after he flipped me off i stopped looking at him afraid he may shoot me or something. So uncalled for and not something I would have thought would have happened by my house!
Unless you live in "Fantasyland", it can happen anywhere.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,871,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
those cement trucks scare the bizzesus out of me and I do whatever I can to get out of their way whenever I see one flying up behind me. They just don't brake. Period.

Friend told me the drivers -- back east anyway -- get paid by the load, not the hour. So once they finish the trips they are scheduled for that day they get to go home, which may explain why they are always doing 90 down some residential street.
ditto, I test drove a cement truck and didnt take the job, because of the whole concept of the cement truck, all the weight is centered on the rear axles, bounces a lot on turns. and It almost never stopped within my personal safe distance when empty. so I could Imagine one thats loaded

Martin Marieta, and Vulcan Pay them by the Hour here, but Ingram, Lattimore pay by the hour but add about a nickle per load hauled and delivered.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 PM

3,095 posts, read 4,072,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Unless you live in "Fantasyland", it can happen anywhere.
True that!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM

8,364 posts, read 13,298,061 times
My nomination for today is the person driving the blue Pathfinder with DV tags on it who for some reason felt that my lane-change signal to get into the exit lane from 151 to 410 was a sign for them to speed up and block the opening that I intended to move into.

I am used to signaling 300 meters out (European law) and my car has side markers on it as well, so there is no way that person couldn't not have seen them unless it was sapphire ().

Well, a little Paul Harvey for everyone, when I got to work guess who I saw?!? Yep, the same blue Pathfinder. I got alongside the moron but I guess they were too embarassed to even look at me. I felt like driving next to them with my turn signal on, just so they can see it; but it is better to let these idiots go as they vastly outnumber us!

Last edited by majormadmax; 10-09-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: speeling!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,871,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
My nomination for today is the person driving the blue Pathfinder with DV tags on it who for some reason felt that my lane-change signal to get into the exit lane from 151 to 410 was a sign for them to speed up and block the opening that I intended to move into.

I am used to signally 300 meters out (European law) and my car has side markers on it as well, so there is no way that person couldn't not have seen them unless it was sapphire ().

Well, a little Paul Harvey for everyone, when I got to work guess who I saw?!? Yep, the same blue Pathfinder. I got alongside the moron but I guess they were too embarassed to even look at me. I felt like driving next to them with my turn signal on, just so they can see it; but it is better to let these idiots go as they vastly outnumber us!
Lane change signals = Act of war LOL at the Sapphire bit.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 4 days ago)

13,650 posts, read 22,039,090 times
I was nice this morning and let a big ass van over--they were signaling and no one would let them in. I had to slow down anyway since I dropped my cell phone (it was a VERY important call and I have much to say).....but I was a little miffed that I dropped the big egg wad out of my taco. But, they got what they wanted and that's good enough for me. I don't know if I got the "texas wave"--it was too dark and by that time I had another call anyway.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM

2,541 posts, read 501,846 times
Just moved here. Driving a 26' truck with a car trailer, getting off at the Culebra exit, in the center lane, turned on blinker to move right, closest traffic behind was about 100'. Moved to the right, an idiot in a little white wagon, passed on right, over curb, in a real hurry, stuck out his arm and showed me the number of brain cells he has.

Welcome to San Antonio.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,248,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post

Cement Trucks are the hardest to stop! if he's blowing his horn, it doesnt matter if hes doing 60 in a 40! Its a way for him to let you know that he's not gonna stop, and its up to you to decide if you want to live to tell bout it or not. Because the first thing that Accident investigators are going to ask you is... well obvious isnt it?
A friend got t-boned by a cement truck. She was going 1604 S getting on 151. As she was crossing 1604 a cement truck broad sided her penning her between a telephone pole and the cement truck. Luckily she was alone and she is a small person because there wasn't much space in her truck.

And, get this, it was 11:00am on a weekday and the cement truck driver was DRUNK!!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 4 days ago)

13,650 posts, read 22,039,090 times
1604 and 151 is accident city. Luckily there is a service road there in front of the shopping center so I can completely bypass that area in the mornings. People are just mean as snakes right there.

No one should be shocked that the driver was drunk at 11 AM. I hope your friend is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio