U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:38 AM

80 posts, read 152,661 times
Moving from CO, we were ready for a 9-4 day with our kindergartener...3 days a week. It took a lot of adjusting to switch to a 7:25-2:25 day. That is pretty early for us. I like the extra time in the afternoon, but he comes home so tired and on the days my husband and I are both working full-time and don't get home until 5:30 or 6pm, it is a struggle to get dinner made, eaten, bath time done, the 20+ minutes of reading required plus 3 nights of homework...and then get the kiddo into bed by 8pm. Not a whole lot of 'quality time' there.

An extra hour in the mornings would help this entire thing. We're dead by the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,477,215 times
Home schooling sounds like it's for you. That's no way to live...dead by the weekend.

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM

52 posts, read 63,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi1234 View Post
Our local school starts at 7:30, which is not that early. BUT, the bus comes by at 6:50 meaning kids will need to be up by 6:00, meaning they will need to be in bed between 6:30 and 7:00. No daddy time at all.
Call me crazy but I really don't think 11 hours of sleep is necessary. 9 1/2 to 10 seems reasonable. That said... I don't have kids yet so what do I know.

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM

52 posts, read 63,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Oh, I'm ridiculous for having different sleep needs than you? Thanks.

7:45 IS early. TO ME. It's not to you, and hey, that rocks. But we are not all made the same and what we define as early or late won't always be the same. That doesn't make anyone "ridiculous". It makes us different. And that's ok.
Sorry if I offended you. I was just making the point that for us army folks, 7:45 is not early.

Personally I am not a morning person. I hate having to get up early. I frequently have to be at the office before 6:00am and that kills me. Days when I don't have to be at the office until after 7:00 are like sleeping in to me.

Besides, who knows? We may have the same sleep length. I just might go to bed earlier than you and get up earlier.

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:12 AM

546 posts, read 778,879 times
I believe my experience in elem school the hours were from 805-305. Same with Middle school. Hs was different 815-330 if i remember correctly. I was in cheerleading and had to be there at 7am for practice had to stay after school til 530 then went to work from 630-1030 then come home and do homework.

Elem school and middle school hours werent bad at all i still had plenty of time for homework, playing outside, and hanging out with friends was usually in bed by 9pm and up by 615.

High school felt as if there were never enough hours in the day but i guess its just preparing you for what the real world is like..

Unread 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,308,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousFive View Post
Call me crazy but I really don't think 11 hours of sleep is necessary. 9 1/2 to 10 seems reasonable. That said... I don't have kids yet so what do I know.
Well, I do have kids (SEVEN of them, and 2, soon to be 4 grandkids) and I AGREE with you!! My younger kids (10 & 7) go to be at 8:30 to bed up by 6:15. They are well rested and are doing VERY well in school. My Middle & High School kids prolly get about 8 hours sleep on school nights and are also plenty rested and on honor roll.

That said, years ago when I was homeschooling, I too shuttered when I saw our neighbor's little girl at the bus stop at 7:00am. But for me, it was just cause I was too darned lazy and didn't want to get MY a$$ outta bed at that time! Now I'm out there every morning with my two!

For the OP ~ not everyone's Daddy gets home that late. My husband is at work by 6:00am so he doesn't get to eat breakfast with the kids, but he is home by 4:30 or 5:00 most every night. Kids leave early and get home early, so does Dad. They have plenty of time with him. Just cuz your kids' Pop doesn't get home early enough to spend time with them if they were having to go to bed so early doesn't mean that's the way it is for everyone.

Personally, I'd have MORE of a problem if the kids were getting home an hour or so later in the afternoon/evenings! My high schooler doesn't walk in the door till almost 5!

Unread 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,375,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousFive View Post
i will disagree on this part --- i really think the amount of sleep one requires varies from person to person ---

our 7yr old is in 2nd grade and gets up at 630am --- she MUST be in bed by 7pm...730pm the absolute latest --- if she is not in bed by that time she is an absolute grump the next morning and is dragging by the time school ends ... she personally requires 11-12 hours of sleep a day...she just does, her body works better on that much sleep...

our 13yr old gets about 9hours of sleep --- in bed at 930pm everynight...and she does just fine at school...honor roll student, gt student, all AP classes and taking 10grade math while in 8th grade...

our 3yr old son, who stays home with me, sleeps 12-13hours on a regular basis --- 10pm bedtime and gets up anywhere from 10am - 11am the next day and no naps during the day...

none of us are really morning people...we are all night owls and have always been late sleepers...although, i will say, my dh works dogwatch hours ... 1015pm - 615am --- and sleeps until 3pm everyday --- he has done this for years...so i am thinking his hours have rubbed off on most of the family...

Unread 10-08-2009, 12:49 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,308,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i will disagree on this part --- i really think the amount of sleep one requires varies from person to person ---
Now, THAT is what I totally agree with!!!

Unread 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM

280 posts, read 582,750 times
I think that middle school in NEISD starts too *late*--at 8:30. We live too close to the middle school for my child to ride the bus. I need to get an older child to a private high school and myself to work by 8:00. Dd will start middle school next year, but I can't drop her off an hour to an hour 1/2 before school. Yes, she'll be more mature at 11, but I can't see her locking up the house and walking almost 2 miles to school every morning in all kinds of weather.

It works out for me this year that elementary school starts at 7:45. Even though the school doesn't officially open until 7:15, she's able to go inside as early as 7:00. I can get her dropped off, then get the other one and myself where we need to be by 8:00. We also live too close to the elementary school for her to ride the bus.

I've still got several months to figure out what we are going to do about getting to middle school next fall.

Unread 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,216,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Now, THAT is what I totally agree with!!!
'

second that --- one can't debate how much sleep people need since I believe it has been scientifically proven this varies from person to person. I have always done and felt my best on 10 hours of sleep. Even now at the age of...well, the age when gals stop revealing their age.

Of course, I now work till well after midnight and am up with the kids at 6:30 for school, so I've had to adjust to functioning on just a few hours of sleep. It's possible, but I'm not as nice as I used to be

Frankly, I'm in favor of just tacking on another five hours to the day. Who's with me. Hands? Hands? Bueller, Bueller..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio