Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 AM

34 posts, read 240,281 times

Advertisements

We are a military family looking possibily to relocate to TX. I have just started to do my homework. I don't know much about TX but I know I don't want to live inside SA city limits. We heard the North- North East was the best place to live and is growing (is that good or bad)? We are looking for good school systems with low teacher to child ratio. We have a 10th grade son that has lived and attended school overseas most his life he is a little sheltered and we would like to keep it that way!!!( If you know what I mean?)

Can anyone tell me about Guadalupe county or surrounding areas with low taxes, insurance, quick fire and police response, nice houses on good size lots at standard lots of at least 6000 sq ft or larger, local hospitals, cheap gas prices, low crime, great shopping, good jobs, friendly faces etc? We are looking to buy a house $120.000-$200.000 and under-one story 2200.-2500 sq ft or 2500-3000 sq ft two story and settle down. Can anyone recommend a good builder with great prices and lots to offer? My husband will work @ Lackland AFB can anyone tell us the commute time and the best route to take.
Hope to see you soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 AM

486 posts, read 1,111,479 times
Unfortunately as we rent not buy I cant be much help on that avenue but can share what I know. We live on the NE side by Randolph and its about 30-45 min drive if there is no traffic through I10. School wise I have heard that Schertz-Cibolo is great for small student to teacher ratio. Sorry I cant be of more help but we are also military so feel free to ask any questions and I will see what help I can be.

AFWife1029
Crystal

Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,597,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3t2smart View Post
We are a military family looking possibily to relocate to TX. I have just started to do my homework. I don't know much about TX but I know I don't want to live inside SA city limits. We heard the North- North East was the best place to live and is growing (is that good or bad)? We are looking for good school systems with low teacher to child ratio. We have a 10th grade son that has lived and attended school overseas most his life he is a little sheltered and we would like to keep it that way!!!( If you know what I mean?)

Can anyone tell me about Guadalupe county or surrounding areas with low taxes, insurance, quick fire and police response, nice houses on good size lots at standard lots of at least 6000 sq ft or larger, local hospitals, cheap gas prices, low crime, great shopping, good jobs, friendly faces etc? We are looking to buy a house $120.000-$200.000 and under-one story 2200.-2500 sq ft or 2500-3000 sq ft two story and settle down. Can anyone recommend a good builder with great prices and lots to offer? My husband will work @ Lackland AFB can anyone tell us the commute time and the best route to take.
Hope to see you soon...
My Sons also attended Dodds schools in UK, husband is retired AF and now works for the VA. Has your husband already found a job ? VA are recruiting for IT positions lots of them working from home.
We live in north central SA and love it.
Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 AM

We were stationed in the UK @ Lakenheath 97-2003, I left in January of 2004Our oldest graduated in 2005 in Las Vegas but did almost 10 years with Dodds in the states and overseas. Our youngest went K-5 in the UK as well and 8th-9th here in Itlay. Wow this is a small world . We are now in Italy awaiting a medical transfer back to the states, the care here is horrible. My husband hasn't found a job yet, but we are trying to hang in there until the youngest grads in 2010 and then he will retire. We will be empty nesters by then : ) I will be sure to mention to my husband that VA has good jobs and to check into them now...
Thanks again and lets keep in touch...

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM

162 posts, read 598,221 times
I have a rental property off Military and Hunt Lane, 78251 (Westover Hills), which I occupied while building our current home now. It was convenient then since I too work at Lackland AFB. Hyatt Regency Resort, Radisson, Sea World, Rudy's BBQ, corporate offices are located within few miles.

Legacy homes, Ryland, Kimball Hills, and others are building at Westover Hills. Microsoft, Lowe's, and Stream Realty are building data center worth over $500 millions and they're within few miles away.

Schools in the area are Warren High, Raba Elementary, Evers Elementary, and Jordan Middle. Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
I have a rental property off Military and Hunt Lane, 78251 (Westover Hills), which I occupied while building our current home now. It was convenient then since I too work at Lackland AFB. Hyatt Regency Resort, Radisson, Sea World, Rudy's BBQ, corporate offices are located within few miles.

Legacy homes, Ryland, Kimball Hills, and others are building at Westover Hills. Microsoft, Lowe's, and Stream Realty are building data center worth over $500 millions and they're within few miles away.

Schools in the area are Warren High, Raba Elementary, Evers Elementary, and Jordan Middle. Hope this helps.
Thanks I will keep your info in mind...

Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
We were stationed in the UK @ Lakenheath 97-2003, I left in January of 2004Our oldest graduated in 2005 in Las Vegas but did almost 10 years with Dodds in the states and overseas. Our youngest went K-5 in the UK as well and 8th-9th here in Itlay. Wow this is a small world . We are now in Italy awaiting a medical transfer back to the states, the care here is horrible. My husband hasn't found a job yet, but we are trying to hang in there until the youngest grads in 2010 and then he will retire. We will be empty nesters by then : ) I will be sure to mention to my husband that VA has good jobs and to check into them now...
Thanks again and lets keep in touch...
We were at Mildenhall from 1992 until 2003 !!! husband did 2 remotes to Korea !!! Sons went to Feltwell Elem and Middle and eldest graduated from Lakenheath High in 2002. Youngest is now at Churchill as a junior, Churchill really is a good school you should look at the web site.Churchill comes under the NEISD school district.
The VA jobs are on USA jobs.com
Where did you live while in the UK ? I am from UK

Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 PM

I lived in Mildenhall Village for 2 years in a cottage called FOREST LODGE off of the 1065 right down from the Hungry Horse Pub and then on base at 42 Red Wood Lane the housing area arcoss from the AYP. How funny is that???? Can I call you so we can talk, Pls send me a PM with your phone # and I will call as it's free from here for me to call you.
Cheers

Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I lived in Mildenhall Village for 2 years in a cottage called FOREST LODGE off of the 1065 right down from the Hungry Horse Pub and then on base at 42 Red Wood Lane the housing area arcoss from the AYP. How funny is that???? Can I call you so we can talk, Pls send me a PM with your phone # and I will call as it's free from here for me to call you.
Cheers

Look forward to talking to you

Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM

14 posts, read 42,128 times
Looks like you got some choices to make.

If I was going to be assigned at Lackland, I wouldn't consider living near NE side of town. I would have a long commute and fight traffic every day and evening.

With budgetary constraint you listed, you can look at communities along 1604 between I-10 and Potranco. Commute to Lackland is much easier from these communities than anywhere near I-35 in NE side.

Having said that, there are a few things to consider: For your 10th grader, if you go near Culebra or Potranco, then the schools are not as good as O'Connor or Clark. If you buy a house in Helotes and along 1604 between Bandera and I-10 (significantly higher housing prices), then your HS would be O'Connor or Clark...in my humble opinion, much better options.

My recommendation is to get with a good real estate agent who can guide you with your pending move.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio