U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

898 posts, read 2,620,910 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard that NEISD's high schools may switch from block schedules to traditional schedules next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,439,390 times
They are desperately trying not to...I hope it stays in place, I will have a 9th grader next year.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,222,901 times
This is my son's 4th year in an NEISD high school and it seems like there have been rumors about this every year. I doubt it will happen, unless voters stop approving tax and bond increases.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
This is my son's 4th year in an NEISD high school and it seems like there have been rumors about this every year. I doubt it will happen, unless voters stop approving tax and bond increases.
One of my teacher friends said that it is very possible and if you don't like it, you need to make phone calls, write letters, send emails, etc. I was perusing the NEISD board meeting minutes and agendas and haven't found anything yet, but then again, I just started looking.

One of my kids' teachers had a major rant about it in class yesterday. Saying that the teacher was against it would be an understatement.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,082,853 times
sorry -- can you please explain what block and traditional schedules are. Thanks

Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
sorry -- can you please explain what block and traditional schedules are. Thanks
Students have 8 classes on their schedule

Block schedule = 4 class periods per day, each is ~90 minutes long, student goes to each scheduled class every other day

Traditional schedule = 8 class periods per day, each period is ~45 minutes long, student goes to each scheduled class every day

Teachers prefer the block because it gives them more time to teach each period.

Students like the block because it can give them an easier day and a harder day within their schedule, plus they don't have to do homework for every class every day. They can choose to do the homework the day they receive it or the next day.

The district would prefer to use the traditional because the block requires more teachers, for reasons I don't completely understand. Hence the recurring tug-of-war.

Last edited by Bo; 10-09-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM

thanks bowie. Seems the block schedule would cut down on how much time the kids spend changing classrooms. Why would they have to change it back to a traditional schedule?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
thanks bowie. Seems the block schedule would cut down on how much time the kids spend changing classrooms. Why would they have to change it back to a traditional schedule?
I may have added that last paragraph while you were replying. I think it explains the reason.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
The district would prefer to use the traditional because the block requires more teachers, for reasons I don't completely understand. Hence the recurring tug-of-war.
Do you have any idea where this subject is discussed on the NEISD website? I've gone the board meeting links and can't find anything.

I prefer the kids to stay on the block schedule. Apparently, some of the teachers have had two conference periods in the past. That changed this year for some of the elective teachers, don't know about the others. Seems like if they wanted to solve the problem of having too many teachers, they would just cut all of the conference periods down to one each. Some teachers have 'duty' periods and others have 'planning periods' in addition to their conference periods.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I may have added that last paragraph while you were replying. I think it explains the reason.
I just saw that and was like, wait a minute...was that there before? Thinking I was either losing my sight or my mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or