U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM

305 posts, read 1,161,706 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I have been "stuck" with Gold's for nearly 2 years....I can't wait till my contract is up. I never use it because the location nearest me is always full and with half their machines broken, it is almost impossible to just walk in and get a workout. I joined it because it has the childcare included, and their aren't any other gyms near me (far east of SA).

MY SO uses the planet fitness too sometimes and likes it. It's great that they don't make you do a contract. My best girlfriend goes to Spectrum club and really likes it but they are way more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
Yeah, I have been "stuck" with Gold's for nearly 2 years....I can't wait till my contract is up. I never use it because the location nearest me is always full and with half their machines broken, it is almost impossible to just walk in and get a workout. I joined it because it has the childcare included, and their aren't any other gyms near me (far east of SA).

MY SO uses the planet fitness too sometimes and likes it. It's great that they don't make you do a contract. My best girlfriend goes to Spectrum club and really likes it but they are way more expensive.
Do they have a cancellation fee to get out of it? It's a bummer you're stuck. I want a Planet Fitness in the Southeast or South Park Mall area of SA so very badly.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,161,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Do they have a cancellation fee to get out of it? It's a bummer you're stuck. I want a Planet Fitness in the Southeast or South Park Mall area of SA so very badly.

Yeah cancellation fee...can't remember how much( I think it was like $150, could be more, I amnot hunting out the papers..lol)), but I know it is more than the amount of the payments left on my contract (till mid January 2010).

That Gold's on Goliad is the one I was talking about. It sucks! I had started going to the one over on FM78 and it is much nicer, but it's new (about a yr old now), so I suppose they just haven't let it go to hell yet.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,357,959 times
I have long ago stopped making monthly charitable contributions to Health Clubs, Spas, etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,466,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonianByChoice View Post
Am thinking of joining Gold's Gym. Does anyone have current info on membership rates. Is there an enrollment fee? Required contract? Why don't they post their prices? Is it true you have to work sales reps like you're buying a car and try to work rate down? I don't need a fancy gym, don't need daycare. Also, can a member use other Gold's locations w basic membership or is that a premium for which you have to pay extra? Thanks
I pay about $ 37/mo. I tried to join in Corpus Christi at ther grand opening, but it was nearly $50/mo down there. I don't remember if they had a contract or not. Which Golds are you joining? Some are cleaner than others. the Fiesta Trails location that I go to used to be cleaner than what it is now. It' sort of gone downhill since.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,443,403 times
I go to Golds and like it. Right now I pay $30 a month on a corporate discount. Find a friend/family member who goes to Golds and get added on to their membership for $20 a month.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,215 times
Gold's has 2 gyms on the southside, 5 gyms on the northwest side, and 4 gyms on the northeast side. Some are a bit small and dingy, and some are the brand new designs. All of them can get packed between 430-8pm.

You can get a good deal but u have to be stern. You are dealing with salesreps, and they'll try to get you to buy what pays them more. But at the end of the day, you're there for you, so insist on a one year contract, and tell them your friend said you could get a membership for all the gyms in town for $35 a month. Sometimes they have specials, and they'll tell you the price upfront. Haggling is a fact of life at most gyms... even those that advertise $10 a month prices have catches like enrollment fees, etc.

I like Gold's. Some have hot tubs, steam rooms, daycare, etc. No towel service or smoothie bar (I think maybe the DeZavala one does, can't remember). Good equipment tho. I hear the Helotes location has a cardio theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio