U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 PM

8,369 posts, read 13,298,061 times

Advertisements

Wow, that word brings back only one image...

http://blog.sojo.net/wp-content/uploads/090623-archie-bunker.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

21,597 posts, read 23,714,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
and I'm going to have to ask this girl I know from Poland if that word is offensive. I thought that was what you called a person from Poland. So are they just Poles? strange
I should know, and I am not offended
It depends how you use that word, in what context, but normally I don't have any problem with it
BTW... I was the one who wrote that word ... and then I saw it converted to: "******" lol

Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM

417 posts, read 551,290 times
ROFL too funny Mad. Ahm..I was reading somewhere...I spelled it wrong, that its a ethnic slur, I guess I might be an Archie Bunker I meant it with no disrespect.

I should learn not to use that "word" anymore. and I didn't mean the fish

Yes Elnina its in Pflugerville. That's one of the things I could have photographed..was the menu. They advertise themselves as european and its Americanized German/Hungarian/Czech

:: European-Bistro :: Pflugerville, TX :: its closed cuz they're heading back to Hungary for vacation. They have a condo back home.

This link is my sadly forgotten pictures..annnnnnnd it shows the menu so you can decide what you want to eat when you go there Elnina I thought Pirogues was polish? Go figure. Any how...I'd give it a two thumbs up.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:35 PM

8,369 posts, read 13,298,061 times
Y'know, I really appreciate it when people can take a little humor! The lady looking to convert to Catholicism realized my recommendation to join the Lutheran church (because it was easier) also realized I was kidding. God bless her!

Anyhow, I hope you don't mind we kinda hijacked this thread with our discussions on Tex-Mex restaurants in other parts of the world. Food is a big part of any culture and I am kinda an amateur social anthropologist as I find cultures extremely interesting! As such, you enquiringly about a Hungarian restaurant intrigued me, especially since I have had the the pleasant opportunity to visit that cool country on a few occasions (Budapest should be on everyone's destination list!).

Well, back to the discussion on Eastern European cuisine!

And by the way, a pirogue is "a small, flat-bottomed boat of a design associated particularly with West African fishermen;" where as a pierogi is "a dish consisting of boiled or baked dumplings of unleavened dough stuffed with varying ingredients" commonly found in numerous countries to include my beloved Slovakia! Even the Valero at 471 and 1560 serves them! But according to Wikipedia, in the US a pierogi or pierogies is commonly taken to mean Polish pierogi...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Thank you MMM - you made my day!
How come that Valero has pierogi????? The HEB brand or something really good?
I am taking off for (late) lunch now - you guys with all that food talk made me really hungry!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Anyhow, I hope you don't mind we kinda hijacked this thread with our discussions on Tex-Mex restaurants in other parts of the world.
Well, back to the discussion on Eastern European cuisine!

And by the way, a pirogue is "a small, flat-bottomed boat of a design associated particularly with West African fishermen;" where as a pierogi is "a dish consisting of boiled or baked dumplings of unleavened dough stuffed with varying ingredients" commonly found in numerous countries to include my beloved Slovakia! Even the Valero at 471 and 1560 serves them! But according to Wikipedia, in the US a pierogi or pierogies is commonly taken to mean Polish pierogi...

Cheers! M2

No, I don't mind about the hijack...*pierogi is stuck to the side of MMM's head* Food fight. All kidding aside..no...I REALLY don't mind about the highjack!

Interesting info about pierogi. I need to start a "Polish thread" I think...it would be easier to find a polish restraunt than a hungarian one!

I might be heading to Little Gretel Restaurant on my own when I get a cah (in my best new england accent) unless..... we can get a caravan together and a group going?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
Interesting info about pierogi. I need to start a "Polish thread" I think...it would be easier to find a polish restraunt than a hungarian one!
You would think.... with all the Pola*ks everywhere! But no... no Polish food in SA, and only one mediocre in Houston. Don't know about Austin, but the news about it never hit my ears.
The only place here where I can buy some items from Poland is Alibaba International Food. But when I go to Houston, and I am on the road quite frequently.... then I always visit Alibaba's ( no, not related ) big brother -the Phoenicia store.
Just imagine: store the size of COSTCO full of International goodies.........

Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Wow, that's truly amazing...No polish restaurants in San Antonio!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
Wow, that's truly amazing...No polish restaurants in San Antonio!

Haha... according to census there are about 16,000 Poles living in San Antonio and about 70,000 in Houston. They all cook at home...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 AM

13,805 posts, read 19,023,611 times
I will ask my coworker if she has any inside information. I think I have already asked her before, though. SA is not very eastern European food friendly and that's a shame. They've got some good shtuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio