Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM

94 posts, read 276,132 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for daycares or alternatives for infants (5 months old). Around Castle Hills would be convenient, but I work downtown/King William area, so that would maybe work as well.

Cost is of course an issue, so moderate tuition fees would be helpful. Also, do any let you put your child in for a few hours a day or just maybe 3 days a week or something like that to cut down on cost?

I wish I could afford a nanny!

thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2011 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for daycares or alternatives for infants (5 months old). Around Castle Hills would be convenient, but I work downtown/King William area, so that would maybe work as well.

Cost is of course an issue, so moderate tuition fees would be helpful. Also, do any let you put your child in for a few hours a day or just maybe 3 days a week or something like that to cut down on cost?

I wish I could afford a nanny!

thanks,
Steve

I don't know of any daycares in the DT/KW area that do part time. All I've checked in to all require FT. (at least, that's what you have to pay for). However, there is a Mother's Day Out program at First Central Baptist (McCullough/4th St area) Tues-Thurs 9-2 with options for before and after care. Not sure what age they start.

We've had friends at First Presbyterian downtown and Central Christian, both happy with them. Also, St John's Lutheran is popular amongst neighbors here. I think they do part time, but they're pretty pricey.

A cheaper option is St Paul's Lutheran on S. Presa St, just by St Cecilia's Church. They are accredited and come highly recommended. They have a few part time slots, but mostly FT. They charge on a sliding scale.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 AM

Any affordable daycare options around castle hills?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Any affordable daycare options around castle hills?

Have you looked into Nanny rates? For two infants, part time, you may find it cost effective to hire someone rather than use daycare.

Also, the state has a website which lists all licensed care providers (in home and centers). You can search by zip code. For there you can select those that appeal and check out their ratings or any violations.

DFPS - Search Texas Child Care

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,870 times
I have twins, and for the first year & a half We found that a FT nanny was very comparable to daycare, and was SO much more convenient than daycare. We paid $400 a week for 8:30 - 4:00, plus we paid her full FICA taxes rather than withhold her portion from her pay. We were happier & our twins thrived with being able to set their own schedule rather than wake up for us to get them to daycare and adhere to more rigid daycare schedules regarding naps. They transitioned to a small montessori school around 18 months and didn't have any problems with adjusting.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
I have twins, and for the first year & a half We found that a FT nanny was very comparable to daycare, and was SO much more convenient than daycare. We paid $400 a week for 8:30 - 4:00, plus we paid her full FICA taxes rather than withhold her portion from her pay. We were happier & our twins thrived with being able to set their own schedule rather than wake up for us to get them to daycare and adhere to more rigid daycare schedules regarding naps. They transitioned to a small montessori school around 18 months and didn't have any problems with adjusting.

That's about where we would like to be. Was this nanny a referral or did you find her somewhere else?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,870 times
I found her through care.com. I'd recommend her but she moved out of town about a year and a half ago.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 149,083 times
I second the FT nanny and care.com. We did the same with our twins!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM

103 posts, read 489,724 times
I have almost 2 year old twins as well and found it difficult to find larger structured centers that allowed for part-time. We tried care.com but I got a ton of high school graduates and I wanted someone a little older.
We found an at home child care center in our area that allowed for part-time while they were younger.
I love the center they are at now. Very low ratios and no combining of class rooms. It is not in your area though.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Quote:
That's about where we would like to be. Was this nanny a referral or did you find her somewhere else?
Is that ok if it is in the La Cantera area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio