U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:45 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times

Advertisements

Put a "free beer while you wait" sign up. They'll show.

*no, I am not saying the people of the West side are heavy drinkers. I'm saying that "free beer" anywhere in San Antonio will make people show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
And food too!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,741,560 times
well i see the problem hasnt gotten any better since i left s.a. back in the 90s. when i first moved there i couldnt believe the number of strays i found, or found me. ive been taking in strays for more than 25 ys, there are a few of us out that do care. people cant really wait for "something to be done". if you care you have to try and do what you can, if you are able to take in a stray when you see one, do so. if not contact a rescue group about the animal, volunteer to help them out in some way when you have free time, they gets lots of calls but very few willing to help out at all. remember, those pple are overworked and understaffed, and do this only because they care, not because they are making money. the animals depend on us to do the right thing. and you cant be sure the next person that comes along will do something or even care.

it breaks my heart heart too, im so sad things arent any better. i wish pple that care could all work together, but that seems to be a problem sometimes. i realize vets are in business to make money, but from my own experiences over all these yrs, most all of them do nothing to help the homeless pets, or even seem to have a conscience about the issue. this i dont understand at all, as i would think a love of animals would be a big reason why they became vets. i believe doing pro bono or greatly reduced cost work throughout the years would have helped reduce the stray animal problems in this country. kudos to the few vets that go out their way to help the strays.

no thats not a bad idea, skeet09, but how far should one have to go to get pple to be responsible and care for the health of their pet. i understand money issues in regards to spay and neuters and pple saying well we can put that off for now. and thats ok to wait, if the animal isnt running the neighborhood. but the pple that let their pets run loose, are ones that arent taking pet ownership seriously, and should not have pets or kids. yeah the free beer idea would bring em in...lol seriously, its a complex problem and one most cities dont see as a priority. more caring pple need to get involved to try and make a difference. thanks to all that keeping trying and caring in s.a.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM

932 posts, read 1,748,631 times
I can't summon an ounce of respect for people that don't sterilize their animals and then dump the results. I already took in a stray kitten this year, and not that long ago someone dumped two golden-retriever-looking young dogs near my apartment complex.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,352,051 times
As I stated the stray dogs are all over the San Antonio area. It is unfortunate that when it comes to paying a bill or feeding the dog, taking it to the vet, etc. that the animal always takes back seat. If you cannot afford a pet don't take on the responsibilty. I assume people see that cute puppy and or kitten and don't think down the road. I know first hand what Vet care can be for a dog and the questions you ask yourself when it comes to paying a huge bill like I did several months ago. I paid over $1500.00 and yes it did hurt but that's part of the responsibility I accepted.

According to my dog's Vet pets are being put into the back seat and dumped. I have seen many nice healthy looking dogs running around in the middle of no where. That's a no brainer that they have been dumped.

There are programs out there for folks to have their dogs and or cats spayed or nuetered. Some are free, others low cost, and some that are income based. With the options out there there is no excuse for anyone no matter where he /she resides not to take advantage of one of these programs.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:15 PM

778 posts, read 2,218,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Put a "free beer while you wait" sign up. They'll show.

*no, I am not saying the people of the West side are heavy drinkers. I'm saying that "free beer" anywhere in San Antonio will make people show up.
Hell, I might go get neutered myself if there is beer involved. Oh wait, I already am.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Hell, I might go get neutered myself if there is beer involved. Oh wait, I already am.
Yes, but are you microchipped? You know, in case you get lost. You neutered males....gotta watch 'em like hawks.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM

11,933 posts, read 12,801,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I have a friend who works for animal control in SA. They are very aware of the stray dog problem on the westside. I don't know details but he mentioned a program about free spay/neuter clinics (a mobile unit) and they want to concentrate on this side of town. Only problem is a lot of the people won't take their dogs. You can only do so much to help.

I do have good friends who live on the westside and they are responsible dog owners so it is not everyone.
I had both of mine done and they never leave my yard. I love my dogs.

We live on a corner and ALWAYS have other peoples dogs on the property. I hate that I'm going to have to fence myself in just to keep other peoples animals out of my yard.

Have you heard anything about this "dog flu"? hubby said there is a guy at work that has a dog with it ( been confirmed by a vet).

Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I had both of mine done and they never leave my yard. I love my dogs.

We live on a corner and ALWAYS have other peoples dogs on the property. I hate that I'm going to have to fence myself in just to keep other peoples animals out of my yard.

Have you heard anything about this "dog flu"? hubby said there is a guy at work that has a dog with it ( been confirmed by a vet).
Kennel cough maybe? Just took my doggy to the vet and staff said its a big thing right now even with dogs not kept in kennels or tight quarters with other animals.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 PM

22 posts, read 32,317 times
I think if more voices were heard to the new city council, maybe they might take some action,and more big company involvement like heb and walmart would help too. Such as skeet09 suggested for free gift cards for spay or neuter would motivate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio