Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM

422 posts, read 756,874 times

Advertisements

now sure which school district but this guy was arrested after talking about shooting up his school on Xbox live, another gamer reported him...the console was in San Antonio but not sure if the school is here...wouldn't be surprised if it was. I'm sure the news channels will have it up today or tomm......

Xbox Live Player Catches Suspected School Shooter - Xbox Live - Kotaku
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
Teen arrested for threatening school shooting (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Teen_arrested_for_threatening_school_shooting.html - broken link)

Made the news a couple of hours after I saw this thread. Great job by the gamers involved, better safe than sorry!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Yeah it's just a shame that he will probably be coddled and buttkissed while they try to find out "what his issues are". Poor yun'sta....

Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
What bothers me is the delay in response time from the local press. Several Canadian sources had picked this up and Kotaku was re-running it before anyone here in the city.
I shot WOAI an email and several hours later they ran a story with additional details. Not trying to knock anybody, but I find it interesting that I got news on my city from Kotaku.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
It's the weekend - frankly, they pretty much go "skeleton staff".....

Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JthePlay View Post
What bothers me is the delay in response time from the local press. Several Canadian sources had picked this up and Kotaku was re-running it before anyone here in the city.
I shot WOAI an email and several hours later they ran a story with additional details. Not trying to knock anybody, but I find it interesting that I got news on my city from Kotaku.
This story originated in Canada. It was a Canadian gamer who contacted his local police about his encounter with the SA gamer and the Canadian police contacted SAPD. The only way the local media would know this had happened would be if SAPD told them about it. What this likely means is that the local police in Canada did a better job of keeping their local media informed than SAPD did notifying the media here. It's even possible that the Canadian police leaked the story before SAPD had identified and apprehended the kid! IMO, not tipping off the guy SAPD was looking for would be a good reason for WOAI to keep a lid on the story.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I couldn't read the article (at work)
but how is it a crime for somebody to say something crazy while playing a video game?
Are we going to do that with everybody?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:18 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
but how is it a crime for somebody to say something crazy while playing a video game?
If it's an active shooter scenario just waiting to happen, then yes! A terroristic threat is a crime.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
pretty specific info as quoted from the article:

Quote:
During the game, the teen, 16, said he planned on getting guns from a friend in the Marines and would “shoot a pregnant girl at school and shoot his best friend in the face,” the report said. The boy also mentioned that because SWAT may be on the scene within 10 minutes, they would have to aim for the head.
I would say yes, unfortunately, better to take these threats seriously.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Sometimes blithering idiots actually carry out their boasts. Should they have waited to see what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio