U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM

22 posts, read 32,421 times

Advertisements

Something needs to be done about the epidemic of homeless dogs on the westside. This poor creatures. They usual wander around looking for food, I notice them around the YMCA. One dog in particular I see often off and on is a sherperd mix, he looks large very skinny brownish and also others dogs . I left some food what I had with me. It breaks my heart that I can't do much because I don't have the resources to rescue and also of family issues. So I pleading for others to help. Here is the located. Sorry no pics.
Westside Branch YMCA parking lot
2900 Ruiz
SA, TX 78228
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,747,387 times
You have a huge heart - but, I don't think there is anything we can do, until people start taking responsibility for their animals. When animals get loose or are released, and they meet up with others, then the problem multiplies! In our neighborhood this morning my wife saw 3-4 dogs running down the street, with trash bags they had pilfered from a nearby home! So at least most of them are eating!

There are so many....

Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 AM

355 posts, read 1,246,467 times
Why dont ghetto people take care of thier dogs. I cant even take my dog for a walk down the street with out being attacked by a pack of dogs.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,365,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
Why dont ghetto people take care of thier dogs. I cant even take my dog for a walk down the street with out being attacked by a pack of dogs.
I wouldn't refer to Westside Residents or the Westside as "ghetto". Many great people live on the Westside. It is sad however that some take on a responsibilty that they cannot afford. Before they know it they have a sick dog / cat or a litter of puppies / kittens. Those that can't deal with these problems end up dumping their animals. I totally agree that this is wrong. All one would have to do is contact 311 or COSA Animal Control to have the dog /cat picked up. Many are so ill that they will have to be put to sleep.

I hate it when I see a punk whether an adult or kid and they have a Pit Bull on a leash, chain ,whatever and they are walking the dog down the street. It's like the dog is an extension of the owner's testicles.

These people are all over San Antonio and I mean all over and so are the homeless / sick dogs and cats.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,747,387 times
Lots of loose dogs make more loose dogs too.

And we have one of those guys in our neighborhood, the pit bull type. He doesn't 'walk' his dog, it walks him! He literally has to lean back to keep the dog under control, it pulls against the leash the entire time.

We have several strays in our area too.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,231,029 times
We noticed a few small packs of strays near Westover Valley and also off of Potranco near 1604 when we were looking at houses. I was saddened and surprised, actually. I did notice San Antonio's humane society is a no-kill shelter. I am happy to see that! Is there also an SPCA here?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,485,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I wouldn't refer to Westside Residents or the Westside as "ghetto". Many great people live on the Westside. It is sad however that some take on a responsibilty that they cannot afford. Before they know it they have a sick dog / cat or a litter of puppies / kittens. Those that can't deal with these problems end up dumping their animals. I totally agree that this is wrong. All one would have to do is contact 311 or COSA Animal Control to have the dog /cat picked up. Many are so ill that they will have to be put to sleep.

I hate it when I see a punk whether an adult or kid and they have a Pit Bull on a leash, chain ,whatever and they are walking the dog down the street. It's like the dog is an extension of the owner's testicles.

These people are all over San Antonio and I mean all over and so are the homeless / sick dogs and cats.
My parents included (who live in the Westside)!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 AM

6,199 posts, read 8,674,295 times
I have the same feelings myip1983. I think we're going to rehash a lot of the same sentiments that came out of this thread here Stray Dog Problem (more like just sadness)

The city has focused on Woodlawn Lake and Millers Pond but has elft the area in the middle (which is the area we're talking about) largely untouched when it comes to strays (and the spay neuture clinics). The thing about this area is that transportation is a huge issue. I see so many people walkig places. And yes, the city is coming to them, but this area is right in the middle of the Miller's Pond and Woodlawn Lake area. Something needs to be set up in this area too to stop the problem.
I don't know what this part of town is called, but it's really bad.

I almost hit a little black one on Monday and someone had to swerve to miss a bigger shepherd mix just a few minutes ago on my way to work.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,329,893 times
I have a friend who works for animal control in SA. They are very aware of the stray dog problem on the westside. I don't know details but he mentioned a program about free spay/neuter clinics (a mobile unit) and they want to concentrate on this side of town. Only problem is a lot of the people won't take their dogs. You can only do so much to help.

I do have good friends who live on the westside and they are responsible dog owners so it is not everyone.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,485,492 times
I think an incentive program needs to be implemented along with the free spay/neuter clinic's mobile unit. Perhaps gift cards to HEB or coupons for kibble or something to entice folks. Maybe something like this has been implemented and did not work. I dunno but it could be an option or maybe a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio