U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

15 posts, read 19,118 times
Your opinions, good or bad, are being very helpful to us and we appreciate it.

Overall, all of you from SA are being very nice to share your opinions and we appreciate that you are taking the time to do it. This simple fact seems to reflect the spirit in Texas, which is very nice. And somehow already feel welcome there.

As of today, in term of jobs, we have got several replies from Charleston but unfortunatelly, not that many from SA ;-( But we still have hope. We plan of giving it a shot for few weeks in SA and if it really does not work and we cannot find any job, we will go to Charleston.

We are a little scared that the unemployment rate being so high in California makes Californians moving to Texas, saturating the market... For the past few years, many have moved to Texas because of proximity, cost of life, etc. and we are affraid that it may be a little too late for us.

We do not want to leave California to live the same nightmare we are living here, except in Texas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,943,451 times
Great. Good luck with the job hunt. Feel free to DM me any questions you may have. We relocated from North County San Diego 2 years ago, although didn't need to look for work.
Maybe you'll have better luck while visiting.

FCF

Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM

48 posts, read 56,372 times
Just a question for the OP. Why is it that you have narrowed down your search to San Antonio and Charleston? I live in SA now and like it pretty well and I have spent a good deal time in Charleston and like it too, but why these two cities? I would think Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, even Atlanta would all be cities that would have nice climates, reasonable (by California standards) housing costs, strong job markets, and cultural activities.
It just seems like SA and Charleston are two cities that don't seem to have much in common and have been arbitrarily picked. I mean one city has a metro area of nearly 2,000,000 people while the other is around 600,000. One city is known for historic cobblestone streets and is on the coast the other has a decidedly hispanic flavor and is well inland. Heck, the two cities aren't even in the same part of the country. Just curiousity and not meant as a criticism.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM

My wife and I decided to leave California few weeks ago. It was a very hard choice for us to make for many reasons... So, we decided that if we were going to make such a move, we wanted to make a move that was going to be final. We now want to settle down and have a family.

Coming from a big town (Los Angeles), we decided to go for something smaller and cuter. A town with friendly people and real feelings. A town with honest people who value family...
We did some researches online based on unemployment statistics, reviews, similarities to our backgrounds, etc. and narrowed the large selection to those two towns.

Charleston is very inspiring for us for reasons that we cannot explain. Maybe the proximity with the ocean... Who knows?
On the other hand, SA seems to be a much more logical choice to make due to the low unemployment level and proximity to Los Angeles...
Both town, completely mysterious and unknown to us.

Our only problem: It is hard for us to make a decision and everyday makes us reconsider... That is why this post. Maybe we are hoping that someone is going to give us the answer we are looking for. Which of those town will work for us? If possible...

Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,943,451 times
I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the unemployment level. Low unemployment level doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find a job quickly and vice versa.
Since you want to start a family, take a look at the school systems. Proximity to the ocean is key to some folks as well. This is the first landlocked place that I've lived. I've always been within a few miles of the water..and will be returning there. The gulf is no substitute for the oceans (Atlantic or Pacific) in my opinion.
If money is of concern, take a look at the tax rates etc. Keep in mind that Texas has no state income tax, but SC does. The property tax rate is very low in Charleston, while it's fairly high in SA. Looks like about .5% in SC and greater than 2% here in SA.
At the risk of sounding like an elitist, SA is just not up to our standards, but I hope you see it differently. What part of LA are you moving from? We last lived in La Costa (North County San Diego) and have several rentals sprinkled in the SD area.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,768,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliva_tp View Post
My wife and I decided to leave California few weeks ago. It was a very hard choice for us to make for many reasons... So, we decided that if we were going to make such a move, we wanted to make a move that was going to be final. We now want to settle down and have a family.

Coming from a big town (Los Angeles), we decided to go for something smaller and cuter. A town with friendly people and real feelings. A town with honest people who value family...
We did some researches online based on unemployment statistics, reviews, similarities to our backgrounds, etc. and narrowed the large selection to those two towns.

Charleston is very inspiring for us for reasons that we cannot explain. Maybe the proximity with the ocean... Who knows?
On the other hand, SA seems to be a much more logical choice to make due to the low unemployment level and proximity to Los Angeles...
Both town, completely mysterious and unknown to us.

Our only problem: It is hard for us to make a decision and everyday makes us reconsider... That is why this post. Maybe we are hoping that someone is going to give us the answer we are looking for. Which of those town will work for us? If possible...
OP My husband and I were in your shoes this past May. My husband and I were living in NYC and we just moved to NYC from Europe. He had a job in NYC that paid extremely well but with the high cost of living and a baby, we were shocked when he received a great job offer out of the blue for SA. He came only for the interview, got the job and literally two weeks later we drove from NYC in a UHaul with a dog and a 3 month old baby to SA.

Do I regret it...NO. I miss NYC for only a few things, my family and the ocean and JFK airport as it is the quickest to London and Paris.

I have been to the Carolinas, and Florida my husband was offered jobs there before our decision to stay in NYC and to be honest I am glad he did. Life in the deep south is very different than life here in SA.

With your business acumen and winestyles you would fair well here and find that it is extremely diverse. I have been quite surprised with SA and I am proud to be transplanted here. It has taken time to adjust and yes there are some negatives but the economy here is growing. It will continue to grow and I am sure you will find something very soon to your liking.

I wish you and your spouse all the best in your decision. Sometimes you have to jump in and swim instead of waiting for the pool water to warm up.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM

I really enjoyed reading your posting. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. It is very inspiring and encouraging. As of today, we are very motivated to 'jump in', even though we are not yet sure of which move would be the best and/or the wisest.

If I may ask, how did your husband find his job from such a distance? I have for a long time applied to jobs hoping to get an opportunity but pretty much all of them are not even accepting to consider my application as non resident in SA. Monster, Indeed, etc. are not really working for me...

Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,768,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliva_tp View Post
I really enjoyed reading your posting. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. It is very inspiring and encouraging. As of today, we are very motivated to 'jump in', even though we are not yet sure of which move would be the best and/or the wisest.

If I may ask, how did your husband find his job from such a distance? I have for a long time applied to jobs hoping to get an opportunity but pretty much all of them are not even accepting to consider my application as non resident in SA. Monster, Indeed, etc. are not really working for me...
To be honest, the SA job found him. We found it more difficult when he was living abroad and he wasn't a permanent resident yet. Also his resume/cv was tailored specifically for the job he was looking which is great for him in his sector. He also didn't post his resume on Monster, and the normal job websites that we are familiar with, he ended up looking more at direct employment agencies in the areas he was chosing to live in. And when he did post his resume online it was more geared towards websites that were geared specifically in his profession. Thats how the SA job found him.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 AM

8,304 posts, read 12,831,762 times
Something else you may want to consider...

Business Week Names San Antonio #1 Strongest Economy in Nation (followed by 4 other TX cities!)

Cheers! M2

Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 PM

10,168 posts, read 9,668,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I can't agree that Texas is the greatest place on earth, just can't. It's definitely not for me.
this is the way I see it...
if you ever find a place that is almost perfect... there's a pretty good chance that you won't be able to afford to live there.

Olivia, the one thing I wish Texas had is a mountain range.
I grew up in the Andes mountain range and I miss driving through the mountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio