Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:58 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,310 times

Advertisements

I've checked out the Black & Decker Cordless Mower, Black & Decker Outdoor | Cordless Mower

There are so many other brands of electric mowers, I'd like to gather the opinion of anyone who has had experience owning one. I noticed CPS is offering a rebate, and would like to buy one soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,517 times
I've owned the Black & Decker mower for a year and I'm happy with it, but I wish it were self-propelled. My yard is small, so I've never had a problem with battery capacity. One day it stopped working, so I took it to a local, authorized repair shop and they fixed it for free. (A wire had become disconnected.)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM

4,326 posts, read 7,234,158 times
The Black & Decker cordless mower described in the link in the OP's post was top-rated among corded and cordless electric mowers tested in Consumer Reports May issue.

I've been using a conventional gasoline push mower, but I've found the cordless electric mowers tempting. For one thing, my experience with the newer gas mowers is that they seem to have problems if you don't use fresh gas (less than two weeks old). That means driving down to the gas station almost every time I need to mow to buy a small quantity of gas. I've also run out a couple of times in the middle of mowing, which is frustrating. Then there is the annual new spark plug & air filter, oil changes, etc.

I see the Black & Decker cordless is indeed one of the models that is eligible for the CPS rebate (only specific brands & models qualify). If you have an old gas mower to trade in, the rebate is $80, which is good, because at $400, the cordless electric is about twice the cost of a decent gas push mower.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 AM

51 posts, read 212,091 times
We have one too....have had no problems with it. We have a big yard, and the charge won't last the whole yard. So I mow the front during the week and husband mows back on the weekend.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
hmm, I guess they have changed since I bought a Sears brand electric mower quite a few years ago. That thing was a POS that wouldn't hold a charge for jack and completely broke in less than a year.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The Black & Decker cordless mower described in the link in the OP's post was top-rated among corded and cordless electric mowers tested in Consumer Reports May issue.

I've been using a conventional gasoline push mower, but I've found the cordless electric mowers tempting. For one thing, my experience with the newer gas mowers is that they seem to have problems if you don't use fresh gas (less than two weeks old). That means driving down to the gas station almost every time I need to mow to buy a small quantity of gas. I've also run out a couple of times in the middle of mowing, which is frustrating. Then there is the annual new spark plug & air filter, oil changes, etc.

I see the Black & Decker cordless is indeed one of the models that is eligible for the CPS rebate (only specific brands & models qualify). If you have an old gas mower to trade in, the rebate is $80, which is good, because at $400, the cordless electric is about twice the cost of a decent gas push mower.
If that is a problem, you might try adding some fuel stabilizer to a gallon of gas.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:16 PM

20 posts, read 66,167 times
Last season I picked up a Cub Cadet CC500 Bat which I love. Purchased it from De Winne Equipment on Bandera Road for around $400. Runs easy, not too heavy, quiet, cuts a decent swath, and holds a charge well enough to do my yard twice. Not sure why it isn't on the CPS rebate list.

Previously owned the corded version of the Black and Decker, which fell apart in a season so I decided not to try the cordless.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:26 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I'm closing on my first home next week, so I'm buying a new lawn mower sometime soon. My house is gonna be in Cibolo.

Can somebody give me the pros and cons of buying gas vs electric? (Price is not a problem, as long as is worthy)
My yard is gonna be about 85'x50'

Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 PM

134 posts, read 384,797 times
Check these out

Neuton Battery Lawn Mowers -

They have a new model that is supposed to be the best in the market. Can't speak from personal experience though...

Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 PM

4,326 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm closing on my first home next week, so I'm buying a new lawn mower sometime soon. My house is gonna be in Cibolo.

Can somebody give me the pros and cons of buying gas vs electric? (Price is not a problem, as long as is worthy)
My yard is gonna be about 85'x50'
A 50'x80' lot? A corded electric mower might work for you if you don't have much in the way of obstructions (like trees), and you have an electrical outlet on the outside front wall of the house, and another on the outside back wall. With a corded electric mower, you need to start near the electrical outlet and mow away from it. Some corded electric mowers are eligible for a CPS rebate - $20 without trade, $40 with trade. They ususally sell for about $150-$250.

I have a lot that is about 77'x120', with an easment behind the back fence that I have to mow, plus several trees scattered around, so a corded electric mower probably wouldn't be practical for my situation. I do have a corded trimmer (a heavy duty model that looks like a gas trimmer with a power cord), corded edger and a corded leaf blower, and they work just fine for me, even with the 100' extension cord it takes to reach where I need to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio