U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2007, 07:39 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,930,320 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else been to this minitature golf course? It's got to be the coolest one I've ever seen. It's pretty old I believe, located on Fredericksburg Road deep inside of 410.

The best time of year to visit is during late spring when the course is at it's most green and lush, and the sun is shining. Oh, that's right, I forgot to tell you, it's full of lush greenery.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 AM

546 posts, read 2,213,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Has anyone else been to this minitature golf course? It's got to be the coolest one I've ever seen. It's pretty old I believe, located on Fredericksburg Road deep inside of 410.

The best time of year to visit is during late spring when the course is at it's most green and lush, and the sun is shining. Oh, that's right, I forgot to tell you, it's full of lush greenery.
Cool Crest is a San Antonio ICON, an amazing, amazing time capsule, the 1940's era preserved in amber - I'm always shocked when native San Antonians haven't been to or heard about this place. I believe it's been there since 1922? In any case, if you go, the score card will tell you how long it's been in existance, plus Mrs. Metzger, who's been there since time began, will relay the history to you if you ask (she's always manning the ticket booth with her ol' dog). Evidentally though, the milk factory next door has been aching to buy and turn the place into a parking lot for years, and I fear with Mrs. Metzger's advancing age, and her having no children/heirs, this place may die with her. I was told though that the SA Conservation Society is wanting to buy and maintain the place as a historic site (like they did with the Aztec Theatre). That would be awesome!

In any case, if you really wanna have a retro night, eat some onion rings at Tip Top Cafe, then play some mini golf at Cool Crest.

Oh yeah, the 2 courses are REALLY challenging - I was told that the courses were designed for adults, NOT children, as mini-golf, when it began, was considered a sport of sorts and enjoyed primarily by avid golfers who liked to practice their putting. For an interesting history on mini-golf, see the cool book: http://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Golf.../dp/0896596842

Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 PM

80 posts, read 278,861 times
I totally agree.
This place is one of the best Mini-Golf (Putt-Putt) places I've ever been to.
Courses are challenging and the atmosphere is incredible.
It has that feeling like you've stepped back in time, not to mention it's easy on the wallet.
I think it would make a great place to shoot a scene for a So. Cal 50's era timepiece flick too.
Check it if you have a chance, it's an SA-must.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM

5,796 posts, read 9,030,084 times
This place takes me back to my childhood...literally! I grew up going there with my family and with the Base Youth Center groups and have sooooo many wonderful memories of the place. What a simple and wonderful time it was...we would go there, it would still be about 1,0000 degrees even tho it was already 8pm....and we would laugh and play and the summer evenings seemed endless.

We would chase the ball to see if we could keep it from falling into that final hole that ate it and meant that the game was over.

I have to wonder if kids these days have memories like that?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 PM

173 posts, read 409,994 times
Wow,
Spent a few nights there in highschool ( some Alcohol, but not too much to interupt the game ) Great memories.

Hope it doesn't close!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 13 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,118,453 times
Thanks for sharing this! It sounds like a lot of fun for my son. Throw in the onion rings and it sounds like an outing. I've been here for 22 years and had no idea about this place, so I really think we'll try it out!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

What is going on with Cool Crest Golf Course? It was not open at all during the 2007 season.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,930,320 times
Really? That's sad to hear.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM

8,367 posts, read 13,364,282 times
Yeah, we tried going there one afternoon last summer, only to find everything locked up tight and overgrown. I suspect the owner may not be opening the place anymore, God only knows what will happen to it but I hope it doesn't fall into the GBNF category as many of the other San Antonio landmarks have!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 12,865 times
While visiting my grandparents, we went to play at Cool Crest Golf Course numerous times back in the 1970's. Even my parents played there when they were in high school during 1950's. My last attendance there was in 2006. It is so sad to hear that place is not open anymore. I hope one day it will be reopened. God knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio