Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times

Advertisements

Next door in Woods of Deerfield there are a lot of people with kids. It seems like a lot of people moving in are young professional types with no or very small kids to people in their 40s with kids in high school.

The biggest problems that I know of are what color to repaint the street light poles and what kind of lighting to put in at the neighborhood entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 15,153 times
Eisenhower is only rated "Academically Acceptable". That's not a good rating. Churchill is a great high school, and Huebner is a great elementary, but you're looking at three middle school years when your kids are most impressionable....don't risk it. Drive around ALL the neighborhoods in Eisenhower's boundary and see what you think. http://www.neisd.net/maps/campus/boundaries/maps06_07/eisenhower.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 PM

191 posts, read 454,302 times
We looked at a nice home in Deerfield when we were house hunting recently. I liked the look of the neighborhood, and the house was very nice. It wasn't very private, but the neighbors seemed nice, and I saw quite a few families out for a walk with young kids the times we drove through. The locals at Starbucks were very friendly. We ended up not putting on offer on the house, though. For one thing, it is so far from the highway, that my husband's commute wasn't all that great. The street lights in San Antonio aren't timed, so you are likely to get stopped at every light. The schools were a bit of a concern, as well. And like I mentioned before, the backyard wasn't very private. It was OK, but I don't like looking out my window and seeing nothing but my neighbors. So, it wasn't a good fit for us. But, I did love the house. It had a perfect floorplan for us. The yard was a dealbreaker, though, because it was on a hill, so no play area, and we would be staring at everyone else in their yard (and they would be staring at us). The neighborhood does look very nice, and that house was our second choice if the one in Helotes fell through. I think it is definitely worth a look for you.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoColtsFan View Post
Eisenhower is only rated "Academically Acceptable". That's not a good rating. Churchill is a great high school, and Huebner is a great elementary, but you're looking at three middle school years when your kids are most impressionable....don't risk it. Drive around ALL the neighborhoods in Eisenhower's boundary and see what you think. http://www.neisd.net/maps/campus/boundaries/maps06_07/eisenhower.pdf (broken link)
I know plenty of folks happy with Eisenhower. Truth is, too much weight is put on schools. It's all about the kid and the parenting. Nobody's ever failed in life because they had a bad run in middle school or a teacher or two was sub-par. And nobody's ever succeeded and looked back and said "you know what, I REALLY think it was 7th grade that it all came together for me".

Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 AM

191 posts, read 454,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I know plenty of folks happy with Eisenhower. Truth is, too much weight is put on schools. It's all about the kid and the parenting. Nobody's ever failed in life because they had a bad run in middle school or a teacher or two was sub-par. And nobody's ever succeeded and looked back and said "you know what, I REALLY think it was 7th grade that it all came together for me".
I agree with you... Mostly. People are too picky about academics, for sure. But I'm very picky about the kids being around nice kids, and I think that too little emphasis is put on character, both at school and at home.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:10 PM

151 posts, read 299,460 times
Very true. I have known kids that went to the same middle school I did, which most people would scrunch up their nose at, that went on to MIT and NYU, etc. If the elem. school and high school are good, that's where they'll be spending more time anyway.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM

201 posts, read 382,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
For one thing, it is so far from the highway, that my husband's commute wasn't all that great. The street lights in San Antonio aren't timed, so you are likely to get stopped at every light.
Deerfield is immediately off of 1604, and 281 and I-10 are five minutes in either direction once on 1604. What highway were you trying to reach?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:10 PM

18 posts, read 31,394 times
Default Pool to join in Deerfield area?

We aren't going to have a pool at our house or in our subdivision, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any pools we can join in the Deerfield area. Google hasn't been too much help, but maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 PM

201 posts, read 382,810 times
You can join the pool/rec. center at the Hunters Creek neighborhood without living in the neighborhood. Located at Lockhill Selma & Huebner: Hunters Creek Neighborhood Association Swim and Racquet club

The Gold's Gym @ Rogers Ranch is a more expensive option. They have 2 outdoor pools (one for adults only) and an indoor pool.

Shadow Cliff Swim and Tennis is further away, but also an option for public memberships: Shadow Cliff Swim & Tennis Club

Old 05-12-2013, 06:44 PM

18 posts, read 31,394 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio