U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,260 times

Advertisements

We are a young family living in Stone Oak and are considering moving inside 1604 to the Deerfield area. We would like to get firsthand feedback and comments about the overall neighborhood and also the schools for that area....Huebner Elementery, Eisenhower Middle School and Churchill High School.

Any feedback on the area or the schools would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_chc05 View Post
We are a young family living in Stone Oak and are considering moving inside 1604 to the Deerfield area. We would like to get firsthand feedback and comments about the overall neighborhood and also the schools for that area....Huebner Elementery, Eisenhower Middle School and Churchill High School.

Any feedback on the area or the schools would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Smart move...out of Stone Oak. SO sux. I hear good things about Deerfield and I'm sure we have a few posters that reside there. They'll chime in...congrats.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Huebner's a good elementary. Churchill's a very good high school. Eisenhower's just OK, and we've heard both here and offline that it's a little rough. Your best bet would be to look east of Blanco Rd, which is Bradley Middle School, Hidden Forest Elementary and Churchill territory.

Texas School Performance Maps gives Huebner and Churchill 9s and 10s for the last 3 years, while Eisenhower got 8s.

The area is great. It's convenient to 281 and 1604, without the hassles of Stone Oak traffic. There's a lot to like.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 AM

52 posts, read 108,103 times
I lived in this area for 20 years. Started off in Vista Del Norte, and moved into Oakwood near Huebner & Bitters. I attended Both Eisenhower middle and Churchill High Schools.

Overall, this is a great area to live. Great access to... we'll pretty much everything, with the exception of 410. 281 is just a 5 minute drive down bitters and thats no biggie. I just always hated having to drive down NW Military or Blanco toward 410. It takes a while. But, being that you are moving from the stone oak area, you are already used to a drive to 410.

Huebner elementary, great school. My little brother just finished there (I have quite a few years on him!) :-) and I can assure you that your child will get a good education there.

Eisenhower middle school is a good school over all. One of the benefits of eisenhower is that it isn't split up when the students hit HS. They all go to Churchill. The quality of the education is good, so you don't have to worry about that. I wouldn't say that its the best Middle school in the city, but it is certainly a decent school.

Churchill HS is fantastic. I really enjoyed my time there. The school is consistantly high ranking in both academics and extra-curriculars(except football... for some reason they haven't been too great in the past few years) The band is excellent, as are dance, theatre, debate, soccer, tennis, ROTC... etc. Good teachers, good students, involved parents. Now, every school has its problems, but overall I would recommend it.

Hope this helps!

John

Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times
Deerfield's great, although I'm a bigger fan of Woods of Deerfield since I call it home. I know in Woods of Deerfield there are 3 houses for sale... probably a few more in regular Deerfield. It was really strange when I moved in several people baked stuff and came by. Maybe it's a regional thing, but it was nice although completely foreign to me. People are pretty cool, and there are people and kids of all ages over here. The age really doesn't seem to be weighted too heavy in one area - there are even a couple of houses with us 20-somethings living there. People already said plenty about schools so I'll get on to other things.

Traffic (especially compared to Stone Oak) is a complete non-issue. I don't see the lights at Bitters or Huebner backed up, and I rarely have problems at Blanco (my neighborhood feeds into Huebner, but regular Deerfield has entrances into all three). Lots of local places in the area too if you're looking for something to eat and there's a pretty decent coffee house on Huebner just past the school. If only they'd extend their open hours. There are also a number of big box stores around if that's your thing.

BTW from my front door I can make it to Huebner / I-10 or Bitters / Hwy 281 in 10 minutes. Airport in 15.

And if you really want to get back to Stone Oak to see someone or some other reason it's really quick to get to by just going up Huebner, or take Blanco to Huebner and you'll just about hit the midpoint of Stone Oak that way.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,260 times
Thanks for the comments. A couple of follow-up questions hopefully we can get some responses on:

1. Regarding Eisenhower, does anyone have any first hand comments or feedback? We've heard mixed reviews and would like to get a sense of experience at the school.

2. Regarding Deerfield, what are the differences between the different Deerfield communities (i.e., ungated original, Fountains, Park, Waters, etc.)?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM

759 posts, read 3,384,158 times
I can't really answer your f/u questions. I will say that when we were house hunting, Deerfield (the original) was my #1 neighborhood choice. I looked at almost every house for sale in the neighborhood; we just couldn't find one that met our needs. We moved just up the street (Inwood) and LOVE the area; you can't go wrong with 78248 IMO.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_chc05 View Post
Thanks for the comments. A couple of follow-up questions hopefully we can get some responses on:

1. Regarding Eisenhower, does anyone have any first hand comments or feedback? We've heard mixed reviews and would like to get a sense of experience at the school.
I think you should visit Eisenhower and ask for a tour and scholastic information....then do the same for Bradley. You'll probably understand.

My son attended Bradley some years ago....and it has still held it's reputation of an excellent school. We checked out several others and moved specifically for that school. Kids there go to either MacArthur or Churchill (not sure about the Reagan group anymore)...at one time some went on the Reagaon.

Re: Deerfield...great neighborhood....established and property there holds it's value well. No new construction that will mess up the property values if things get shakier.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 AM

23 posts, read 75,098 times
I live in Deerfield and both my children attend Huebner. We are absolutely satisfied with our decision to purchase a house here and ecstatic that our children get to go to Huebener Elementary. This is a wonderful, safe, family friendly neighborhood. I can't tell you how fortunate we are to live here. We have no traffic issues. If I have any security concerns, I can call our Deerfield Patrol, staffed 24/7 with off duty police officers, and one of them will be on my door step in minutes. We have a great pool and swim team. We have well-attended community events. I especially love our mix of retirees and young families. My husband made the mistake of leaving the garage door open once and our phone rang off the wall with calls from well-intentioned neighbors. When we were on vacation this summer, somebody watered my flowers- still don't know who!

We didn't expect to love this community as much as we do, and thought we would move before my children had to attend Eisenhower. I've heard a lot of stories about Eisenhower which concern me. However, just this year, a handful of my friends have sent their 6th graders to Eisenhower and are quite pleased with the school, teachers, and the extracurricular opportunities (especially the band and drama depts), so I expect that my children will have the same good experience. Churchill, as someone mentioned, is fantastic. I can't wait until my kids attend Churchill- hoping they try out for the swim team!

Any specific questions? Ask away!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 AM

187 posts, read 314,157 times
You may also want to check out The Hollow at Inwood and Inwood. Both of these neighborhoods are off of Bitters between Huebner and 1604. They are in Northside ISD, and the schools are Blattman, Hobby, and Clark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or