U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 20,280 times
Default Germans in San Antonio

Hi everyone,
I moved here about 2 years ago and still didn't meet Germans here...where are they????? Hope somebody sees that and writes back it would be nice to have every once in a while somebody to talk to in German and it would be good for my kids too they are almost 4 and 2 so hopefully I am lucky

Gruesse Sabine

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-09-2007 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: English only please; we can't moderate German!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 04:42 PM

556 posts, read 4,979 times
You're a little south for Germany.... This is 'little Mexico' here in SA. Best check out New Braunfels.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-09-2007 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary comment.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,929,635 times
If you head to the Hill Country, you'll find them

Go to La Madelaine and you'll find Frenchies.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 PM

30 posts, read 86,587 times
Default if you want german's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine66 View Post
Hi everyone,
I moved here about 2 years ago and still didn't meet Germans here...where are they????? Hope somebody sees that and writes back it would be nice to have every once in a while somebody to talk to in German and it would be good for my kids too they are almost 4 and 2 so hopefully I am lucky

Gruesse Sabine
Come out to where i live in pa and you will be all year round with germans. Trust me the culture is not that exciting.

I have lived among them all my life and they are very boring. imo

Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 PM

140 posts, read 217,806 times
SABINE, there are LOTS of people of German extraction in San Antonio and the Hill Country above San Antonio is absolutely packed with them. Remember, King William Street used to be known, before World War I, as Kaiser Wilhelm Strasse, and all the mansions there were owned by wealthy children of immigrant German families. In the 70s I dated a girl from New Braunfels who lived in San Antonio - she spoke fluent German as did her whole family. You need to join the Beethoven Society which is also located in the King William area off of south Alamo Street. They throw a huge party during Fiesta and you will find many Germans speaking German there. They are a very sociable and convivial group and have many parties during the year - I used to attend and did lots of polka-ing, and waltzing and the schottish (?) and garden waltzes. They have a maennerchor and a damenchor as well so you can sing and swill beer along with the best of them. In the 1890s, if you didn't speak German in San Antonio, you couldn't be elected to public office! Enjoy!

Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM

SABINE Can't remember the name of it off the bat, but there is a summer camp site for boys and girls in Comfort, Texas, also an old German community, that has to be the most reasonably-priced summer camp in Texas. We sent out two daughters there several years in a row. It is run by a German benevelont society in San Antonio and all you had to do was buy a cheap life insurance policy on each of the kids and you were then eligible to send your kids to this camp. For a while they had boys and girls from Germany as part of the staff but I dopn't know if they still do this.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:17 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,610,966 times
Is there a good German bakery in San Antonio?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:15 PM

SABINE, the summer camp is the Hermann Sons, the headquarters of which is or was located in downtown San Antonio about a block west of La Villita. Their summer camp is in Comfort, Tx, but you reserve a place for it by 1) buying a cheap life insurance policy for your kids, and 2) making a reservation to their summer camp. My kids went for many years. This camp is such a good deal that it attracts kids from all over the south and southwest.

Grand Lodge of the Sons of Hermann
515 S Saint Marys St, San Antonio, TX
(210) 226-9261

Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Is there a good German bakery in San Antonio?
There used to be one: Mrs. Schulze's Bakery. Doubt it exists any more. You might try Nadlers Bakery just north of Loop 410 a little west of San Pedro. Good luck. Let me know what you find.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 AM

In an earlier email I referred to a "Mrs Schulze's Bakery" which is gone. I was wrong. It was "Mrs Schneider's" and it's still gone. There is a "Haby's Bakery" in Castroville, not too far away. If you haven't been there, it's an Alsatian Village on Hwy 90, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio