Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorbear134 View Post
The reason I bring this up is i've been back there and the whole place is really creepy. I found on barbed wire fences, windmills, and other things that seem like old ranch items. The forest backs up to a quarry.
Just curious, as in this view it appears that there is a fence and gate across Old Lockhill Selma Road...is that the case, and if so, is it private property now?

By the way, noticed that it is Lockhill, one word with no 'e's in it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:28 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Just curious, as in this view it appears that there is a fence and gate across Old Lockhill Selma Road...is that the case, and if so, is it private property now?

I don't how to link directly to Google Maps (the link just said maps.google.com), but the location where the gate is is 4200 De Zavala Road. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the power lines back there. Way back when (early 90s) late at night you could hear the power lines because there were so many in the area.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Just curious, as in this view
I've seen it spelled both ways on various maps. It was named after the family that owned that land. Like Callaghan Rd used to be named "Kenny Rd" after the land owner "Kenny"...which has been spelled Kinny, Kenny and even Kenney on all kinds of maps. The original deed would be the best source of information if it's that important.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I don't how to link directly to Google Maps (the link just said maps.google.com), but the location where the gate is is 4200 De Zavala Road. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the power lines back there. Way back when (early 90s) late at night you could hear the power lines because there were so many in the area.
Just click where it says 'Link' and copy and past that URL here.

This is the view from De Zavala, but I couldn't see if there was a gate at the other end of Old Lockhill-Selma.

Oddly enough, it was at that last location that I test-drove my Jeep back in 2007. The guys at Ancira basically gave us the keys and let us take it out as long as we liked; and I was looking for someplace to "offroad" it a little. If I remember correctly, there is a gate a little further up. We ended up finding a dirt road someplace else...

Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Just click where it says 'Link' and copy and past that URL here.

This is the view from De Zavala, but I couldn't see if there was a gate at the other end of Old Lockhill-Selma.
I haven't ever seen another gate. It could be towards the other end of the neighborhood on the other side of Shavano Creek (for the life of me I cannot remember the name, even though I know people that live there)...if there is another gate. I just always assumed that the little gate at De Zavala (on the map) was the only entrance/exit.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM

I am pretty sure there is a gate at the opposite end, as otherwise we could have continued driving down the road in the Jeep. I actually recall turning around so there had to be a reason for it. I suspect with all the equipment back there--far away from watchful eyes--that the area is fenced. It'd only make sense...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
I love those old roads. Usually if it has the word "Old" in it that means it used to be the actual old road that connected one town from another. This is very common in the Hill Country: Old San Antonio Rd, Old Mason Rd, Old Austin Highway is an example of a more well known one. Usually these "Old" roads are more scenic.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I love those old roads. Usually if it has the word "Old" in it that means it used to be the actual old road that connected one town from another. This is very common in the Hill Country: Old San Antonio Rd, Old Mason Rd, Old Austin Highway is an example of a more well known one. Usually these "Old" roads are more scenic.
I love them too Nick. Did you know that San Antonio Street in New Braunfels was actually the main road from SA to Austin long before the freeway was built.

There's one that you can almost follow from San Antonio (called OLD SAN ANTONIO Rd...same one out of NB) all the way out to East Texas to Nacogdoches. If you are going out 21? from San Marcos towards Bastrop you can see remnants of it along the road off to the East. From what I understand that was the main El Camino Real from San Antonio to Nacogdoches in the early 1800's. I LOVE that stuff! The old maps at the GLO in Austin show the El Camino Real and it follows three county boundaries on the North. It's really a pretty drive out there....but too long to drive for college weekend trips home from SFA.

Last edited by wCat; 10-24-2009 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I love them too Nick. Did you know that San Antonio Street in New Braunfels was actually the main road from SA to Austin long before the freeway was built.

There's one that you can almost follow from San Antonio all the way out to East Texas to Nacogdoches. If you are going out 21? from San Marcos towards Bastrop you can see remnants of it along the road off to the East. From what I understand that was the main El Camino Real from San Antonio to Nacogdoches in the early 1800's. I LOVE that stuff! The old maps at the GLO in Austin show the El Camino Real and it follows three county boundaries on the North. It's really a pretty drive out there....but too long to drive for college weekend trips home from SFA.
Legend has it that there's gold buried somewhere along the Old Camino Real Road somewhere here in San Antonio.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Legend has it that there's gold buried somewhere along the Old Camino Real Road somewhere here in San Antonio.
Yeah...but which one. I can't remember how many trails the old king used, but there were dozens. But I'll take the high road and you can take the low road....and start diggin! We can meet in the middle fer lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio