U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 AM

337 posts, read 740,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
As will I. For one, everyone benefits from a better education system. Today's students are tomorrow's workforce (and taxpayers), and the better we as a society can prepare them the better everyone's future will be.

Secondly, school taxes are no secret, anyone buying a home anywhere should research what taxes they will have to pay on the property. In Bexar County, we also pay for Bexar County Road and Flood, the San Antonio River Authority, Alamo Community College, the University Health System, NISD (where we live) and Emergency Services along with the usual county taxes.

Well, since I use the roads, have kids in NISD and potentially could need emergency services, I should be fine with paying those; but since I live on high ground, don't swim in the San Antonio River, don't attend ACC, don't use the University Health Care System does that mean I get to opt out on paying those taxes as well?

Obviously not, as it is a civic responsibility imposed on all property owners. Don't like it? Well, you can either rent or live elsewhere; but we all have a social obligation that is funded through taxes, and we don't get the luxury of picking and choosing what we want and don't want to pay for.

Your voice is through your vote, but again it is majority rules and if most people want to fund a better education for future generations; everyone has to accept that decision. It is that simple.
This stuff is pennies if you look at it. I mean lets be honest. The school tax is the biggest chunk of our taxes.

Here is an example.... out of say $8920.77 in taxes, $5222.15 is school tax. That is 58.5% of total tax going to the school tax.

I for one support a state tax. At least I would feel that every person in Texas who gets a paycheck is paying their fare share. I just don't fell that we are any better off letting the county decided how much my house is worth for tax purposes.

Funny how the economy is going down, but my house value isn't. I've seen the same houses in our neighborhood for sale for over a year. There was a new house near ours for sale for well over a year. Three years ago they couldn't build them fast enough, now they can't sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
You mean a state income tax? We already have a state sales tax so I don't expect that to be what you are referring to. Either way, I am not going to engage on that debate; as there are plusses and minuses to both sides, but in my experience the states with municipalities that tax property over income tend to do better in the long run...

Anyhow, in case anyone was wondering, here is a good breakdown of Texas property taxes...Texas Local Property Tax: The Basics.

By the way, our appraised value dropped nearly $17K between 2008-2009, so BCAD has been doing its job. Have you checked your Roll Value History from BCAD to confirm yours hasn't done the same?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You mean a state income tax? We already have a state sales tax so I don't expect that to be what you are referring to. Either way, I am not going to engage on that debate; as there are plusses and minuses to both sides, but in my experience the states with municipalities that tax property over income tend to do better in the long run...

Anyhow, in case anyone was wondering, here is a good breakdown of Texas property taxes...Texas Local Property Tax: The Basics.

By the way, our appraised value dropped nearly $17K between 2008-2009, so BCAD has been doing its job. Have you checked your Roll Value History from BCAD to confirm yours hasn't done the same?
Yeah I checked my tax bills from last year I keep a close eye on BCAD. Not much of a break. Things are just great here in Bexar County so why would our tax value drop. Who cares that houses are just sitting on the market. It seems like the builders can't give them away at this point.

When new houses sit on the market for over a year that is a problem. When builders are giving 10-20K in incentives to just move houses that are sitting that is a problem. Anyone who thinks the housing market in SA hasn't been hit by the down turn in the economy is kidding themselves.

I couldn't sell my house for the tax value at this point and that is a problem. I'm not trying just for the record.

So you see, when people make comments like if you don't like paying taxes for NEISD then sell your house and move, it is infuriating to me that someone actually believes that is the answer. What if everyone who didn't like them did just that. What if all of our houses that can't sell went into foreclosure? Then who pays for these new schools?

If NEISD is such a selling point, why are houses not selling? Just a little food for thought.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Houses are not selling because there has been a nationwide slowdown in home sales for a variety of reasons. It is not unique to SA nor does it have anything to do with NEISD or NISD. As a matter of fact, those two highly-rated school districts can account for the decision of many who live in them, as many people put good schools at the top of their priorities when looking for a new home.

I get infuriated by those who think that just because they don't have kids in the school system that they shouldn't have to pay school taxes. Do they honestly believe they don't benefit from providing a better education to others? That is simply ignorant, as is anyone who doesn't do their homework when looking for a new home. Information on the Bexar County tax rates is easily and readily available, and it is the responsibility of all citizens within the county as it is to pay for the other services they may not use but most definitely benefit from!

If anything, folks who live in the NEISD footprint should be happy that they have such a good school district. Go talk to people who live in school districts that are suffering, do you really think their home values are increasing because of it? I am sure if the data exists you will find that despite the slowdown in the housing market, the impact is felt much less in areas with strong school systems versus those with weak ones.

Lastly, there is a different between the appraised value of a house for tax purposes and its actual value. Houses often sell for far above and below their appraised value, based on a variety of factors. People only challenge their tax appraisals when it is higher than what they believe the property is worth. I've never heard of anyone fighting because it was too low!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Houses are not selling because there has been a nationwide slowdown in home sales for a variety of reasons. It is not unique to SA nor does it have anything to do with NEISD or NISD. As a matter of fact, those two highly-rated school districts can account for the decision of many who live in them, as many people put good schools at the top of their priorities when looking for a new home.

I get infuriated by those who think that just because they don't have kids in the school system that they shouldn't have to pay school taxes. Do they honestly believe they don't benefit from providing a better education to others? That is simply ignorant, as is anyone who doesn't do their homework when looking for a new home. Information on the Bexar County tax rates is easily and readily available, and it is the responsibility of all citizens within the county as it is to pay for the other services they may not use but most definitely benefit from!

If anything, folks who live in the NEISD footprint should be happy that they have such a good school district. Go talk to people who live in school districts that are suffering, do you really think their home values are increasing because of it? I am sure if the data exists you will find that despite the slowdown in the housing market, the impact is felt much less in areas with strong school systems versus those with weak ones.

Lastly, there is a different between the appraised value of a house for tax purposes and its actual value. Houses often sell for far above and below their appraised value, based on a variety of factors. People only challenge their tax appraisals when it is higher than what they believe the property is worth. I've never heard of anyone fighting because it was too low!
So, now I'm ignorant. Thank god I'm smart enough to write checks. We benefit from the school district? Like I said before if it is so great, then why are houses in the NEISD not selling? If people are just flocking here? Don't the new schools get maxed out within a year and cut off new students?

Well, when I feel my tax value it on the low side I'll let you know. But, fighting your tax value is a joke.

This is exactly why I support a state tax. Let everyone pay for the kids and public education not just those of us who own property. Do I think that the county is accurate with the tax value of my house?

Best way I see that we all pay our fair share is to have a flat state tax. We all pay based on income. Then the majority of people with kids can't just vote more money out of the minority.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Whatever, I never called you ignorant; I said the misconception that those without kids don't benefit from a strong education system is ignorant. But if you still believe that, then it is you making that connection, not me.

If you can't understand the benefits of a good school district than I am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.

Ironically, from your comments it almost appears that you blame the school district on the NE SA housing glut. Honestly, do you really think that's the case? Or perhaps that the NE part of town was rampant with people who got mortgages that they shouldn't have qualified for, and now cannot afford? If so, that is a good argument for an even better education system! Maybe next time they can do some simple math, and not buy beyond their means!

Plus, if you think that homes within the NEISD footprint are hard to sell now, they would be a lot worse if it wasn't such a well-respected school district.

I am done with this discussion, go vote against the bond but don't be surprised if it passes. The majority of people see it for what it is, a much-needed investment in our education system and the area's future.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
I'm am completely against it as long as money is proposed to be wasted on the new Olympic sized swimming facility. I read in the newspaper about the $535 million dollar bond being used mostly for the facility with the city matching the money if it passes. Where will that money come from? Tax payers, meaning NISD residents will be paying more than the rest of the city and essentially double taxed for the monstrosity. If classrooms and supplies are needed put that to the vote. A new swimming pool is not going to save the district and certainly won't do anything for most of us. The schools are churning out idiots by the thousands since focusing more on sports than academics.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:28 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,611 times
I thought Northside ISD's finances are better than NEISD? Is Northside ISD laying off teachers too?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM

NISD is not laying off teachers, plus the bond if approved cannot be used for certain things like teachers salaries (recall I was on the 2007 NISD Bond Committee, which got a $692M+ bond passed).

It is more of an "advance" for the district to fund desired projects before their costs rise even higher.

Here is a list of the proposed projects for the 2010 NISD Bond:
Quote:
  • New schools $227,600,000
  • Future Sites $23,000,000
  • Classroom Additions $41,200,000
  • Renovations/Reconstruction $57,710,000
  • Technology $55,332,000
  • School Security $29,250,000
  • Infrastructure $50,450,000
  • Roofing $18,000,000
  • Transportation $20,400,000
  • Swim Center & Tennis Center $12,200,000

• Total Proposed $535,142,000
Educate yourselves on the proposal and don't depend on secondhand information to make your decision. NISD has a great unbiased web site for information:

Northside Independent School District 2010 Bond (http://bond.nisd.net/2010/proposal/ - broken link)

The reason I emphasis "unbiased" is that it is actually illegal for NISD to "campaign" for the bond, so all they can do is publish the facts for people to make their own judgments.

Any campaigning you see on behalf of the bond is being conducted by concerned citizens and parents who support the bond, but are not NISD.

Just as a reminder, the election to vote on this is scheduled for May 8th; please be sure to vote!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
Are y'all concerned that NISD will not pay back those previous bonds and become insolvent? I'm not sure what the concern is about the already existing bond debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio