U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
 
160 posts, read 197,581 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

How do you all feel about this? Property taxes on the rise?





Northside Independent School District voters made history in 2007 when they passed a $693 million bond proposal, the largest school bond in San Antonio to date.
Now, officials in Bexar County's largest district are considering going back to voters in May for more money, as they face a continued influx of students. Though students are not pouring in at quite the rate they had in previous years — 2,000 new students this year versus 3,000 in the past — officials are projecting enrollment to increase by 14,000 over the next six years.




Northside school officials considering 2010 bond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Reputation: 13587
NISD residents can look across I-10 at the upcoming layoffs and schedule changes in the North East ISD to get a preview of the kind of unpopular changes that will happen without a tax increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 05:01 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Reputation: 4435
I was a member of the 2007 Citizen's Bond Committee for NISD, and was very impressed with the process run by the District. They were completely open and honest with us on to their desires, and understood when we removed items from the list. Dr Folks (NISD Superintendent) and company did an excellent job working with us, and I completely trust the NISD bond process having had firsthand experience with it.

NISD is still one of the fastest growing in state. It is also one of the largest. The staff at NISD are forward-thinkers when it comes to this rapid expansion, and these bonds help them manage the district. There was concern in 2007 over the amount of the bond ($692M, 50% greater than the bond just three years previous) but it passed which shows the majority of citizens in the district understand its needs. Without it, I don't think the district could cope with the rapid growth in the area...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 PM
 
160 posts, read 197,581 times
Reputation: 94
We don't have a problem with it, but some of these folks that cry about every little penny might. Sounds like it needs to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
 
Location: West Creek
1,720 posts, read 4,006,700 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I was a member of the 2007 Citizen's Bond Committee for NISD, and was very impressed with the process run by the District. They were completely open and honest with us on to their desires, and understood when we removed items from the list. Dr Folks (NISD Superintendent) and company did an excellent job working with us, and I completely trust the NISD bond process having had firsthand experience with it.

NISD is still one of the fastest growing in state. It is also one of the largest. The staff at NISD are forward-thinkers when it comes to this rapid expansion, and these bonds help them manage the district. There was concern in 2007 over the amount of the bond ($692M, 50% greater than the bond just three years previous) but it passed which shows the majority of citizens in the district understand its needs. Without it, I don't think the district could cope with the rapid growth in the area...

Cheers! M2

Not only the staff are forward thinkers NISD knows how to Hire, when I walked in to the district almost every secretaries my age working there were very attractive

I still think they should also kick out the "ditchers" and trouble makers, that way they save us some tax money as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 PM
 
872 posts, read 1,633,277 times
Reputation: 440
I don't doubt that new schools are needed. However, if the area is the fastest growing does that not mean that the tax base is growing as new homes are built? A few months ago they were talking about needing more money because property values were down due to the economy. So, in effect, this is a property tax hike on properties that have a decreased market value. Look at the new schools being built and tell me there couldn't be a lot of savings on the building cost if the architecture was scaled down some. I have kids in the NISD system and very much like the district but that doesn't mean I would agree that a tax hike is the way to go here.

FCF Wife - Ref your comment about every penny...let's just say this would be a $100 increase, plus a $10 HOA increase, plus a hike in gas prices, plus a hike in electricity cost, plus a hike in insurance premiums, plus a hike in federal income tax, plus a hike in cable bills, plus a hike in food cost, plus a hike in..... The point is that everyone just wants a tiny little hike and there are a lot of people who just can't afford to keep giving a little more. The average HOUSEHOLD income in San Antonio in 2007 was $41,500. It is past time for those who are spending the money to find ways to be more frugal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
 
160 posts, read 197,581 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I don't doubt that new schools are needed. However, if the area is the fastest growing does that not mean that the tax base is growing as new homes are built? A few months ago they were talking about needing more money because property values were down due to the economy. So, in effect, this is a property tax hike on properties that have a decreased market value. Look at the new schools being built and tell me there couldn't be a lot of savings on the building cost if the architecture was scaled down some. I have kids in the NISD system and very much like the district but that doesn't mean I would agree that a tax hike is the way to go here.

FCF Wife - Ref your comment about every penny...let's just say this would be a $100 increase, plus a $10 HOA increase, plus a hike in gas prices, plus a hike in electricity cost, plus a hike in insurance premiums, plus a hike in federal income tax, plus a hike in cable bills, plus a hike in food cost, plus a hike in..... The point is that everyone just wants a tiny little hike and there are a lot of people who just can't afford to keep giving a little more. The average HOUSEHOLD income in San Antonio in 2007 was $41,500. It is past time for those who are spending the money to find ways to be more frugal with it.
Nice try, but the picture is not nearly as grim as you paint it. Some things are up, some are down. The actual CPI in most of the country has been slightly down.

Here's some numbers for you to chew on. No San Antonio, but Houston, Dallas and "South" in the Southwest category are represented..you get the idea.

Colorado has already reduced their minimum wage to due the decrease in cost of living and several other states could follow.

Consumer Price Index News Releases Issued by BLS Regional Information Offices (http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpi_regreleases.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
 
872 posts, read 1,633,277 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Nice try, but the picture is not nearly as grim as you paint it. Some things are up, some are down. The actual CPI in most of the country has been slightly down.

Here's some numbers for you to chew on. No San Antonio, but Houston, Dallas and "South" in the Southwest category are represented..you get the idea.

Consumer Price Index News Releases Issued by BLS Regional Information Offices (http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpi_regreleases.htm - broken link)
I don't argue that but people are still being hit by higher taxes and premiums from all sides. Most consumer prices, if down are by around 1%. Shall I remind you of the rising unemployment rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
 
160 posts, read 197,581 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I don't argue that but people are still being hit by higher taxes and premiums from all sides. Most consumer prices, if down are by around 1%. Shall I remind you of the rising unemployment rate?
No need to remind me..I'll remind you.
It's not even gone up 1% since January.

6.3 % January 2009
7.1 % September 2009

My property tax and auto insurance both went down this year. No SS increase due to low inflation and stagnant cost of living as well (I'm not on SS...just another example.) Life insurance is generally cheaper these days too (unless you have pre-existing conditions etc) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
 
872 posts, read 1,633,277 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
No need to remind me..I'll remind you.
It's not even gone up 1% since January.

6.3 % January 2009
7.1 % September 2009

My property tax and auto insurance both went down this year.
That represents about 10,000 MORE San Antonians out of work since January.

And your household income is how many times greater than the SA average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top