U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:26 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,435,708 times

Advertisements

So glad to hear the surgery went well and your son is doing great post-op!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
it's fantastic to hear that your son got his chest fixed! I bet his self esteem and confidence have shot up ten fold! i'm 26 and I have a variation of pectus excavatum. the left side of my ribcage sticks out higher than my right ribcage. its very noticable even with a shirt on, but it's not affecting any of my organs, so therefore insurance doesn't deem it medically necassary. the only pain i get with it is when i wear a seatbelt for long periods of times. if only they knew the mental anguish that comes with having a physical deformality, i wonder if they would have a change of heart.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times
My son is 22 years old. He is going to have the Nuss procedure on Nov.3. I am little nervous about seeing him in so much pain. He is having it at the primary children hospital. We went there when he was 15, and they said that his pectus was not bad enough. The reason we went is because he had two grand mal seizures, and our pediatrician felt that his pectus contributed to that. He would faint and then seize. Since then we found out that his pulmonary function is 20 percent less than normal. It was always hard on him to run in High School. It has always been hard on him to not be normal and has suffered from depression and anxiety. He hates to go swimming. He has poor posture and back pain and chest pain. He is a 3.3. Our insurance has approved the procedure. I was very surprised that they will pay for it. It was him that wanted us to check it out one more time. I am still afraid for him. But I support his decision to do it. I wish he was a little younger, but they say that the chances of the bar rotating are less when they are older. Although the pain is more severe when they are older. Because he is older he will be able to take more pain medicine though. But it will be hard to see my son suffer. I hope that this helps anyone that is trying to get their insurance to approve the procedure. And I would like to know if there is anyone that has had an older child go through this.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,354,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsparks View Post
My son is 22 years old. He is going to have the Nuss procedure on Nov.3. I am little nervous about seeing him in so much pain. He is having it at the primary children hospital. We went there when he was 15, and they said that his pectus was not bad enough. The reason we went is because he had two grand mal seizures, and our pediatrician felt that his pectus contributed to that. He would faint and then seize. Since then we found out that his pulmonary function is 20 percent less than normal. It was always hard on him to run in High School. It has always been hard on him to not be normal and has suffered from depression and anxiety. He hates to go swimming. He has poor posture and back pain and chest pain. He is a 3.3. Our insurance has approved the procedure. I was very surprised that they will pay for it. It was him that wanted us to check it out one more time. I am still afraid for him. But I support his decision to do it. I wish he was a little younger, but they say that the chances of the bar rotating are less when they are older. Although the pain is more severe when they are older. Because he is older he will be able to take more pain medicine though. But it will be hard to see my son suffer. I hope that this helps anyone that is trying to get their insurance to approve the procedure. And I would like to know if there is anyone that has had an older child go through this.
I'm going to DM you with our Son's Cell Number so your Son can call / text him. He will be more than pleased to share his experience(s). Our Son (20) had his Procedure in June and yes he still has discomfort but he is as cheerful and as easy going as they come.
I will admit this... You will cry as he is taken into the Operating Room but the tears will flow more when his Surgeon comes out and tells you all that everything went fine. One word of advice is to be ready to cry again when you are able to see his chest. Your tears won't be sad tears they'll be happy ones since your Son will now begin a new Chapter in his life.

Please go back in this thread and read my posts since it will give you a quick idea of his Surgery.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,106 times
hi
my name is abbas and am from kingdom of bahrain
i had PE repair in germany , and i have two steel bar in my chest , they will remove it after 2 years .
anyone needs an information add me is msn : [email]toot.tofa7@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,385 times
just a quick message, my son was born with the same condition, and after almost the 2nd denial of his insurance company whom almost kept him from having the surgery performed his doctor appealed it back in 2010 and again in 2011. My son's pediatric surgeon STRONLY URGED the medical review board to carefully re-evaluate the decision as in the future it would cause my son further problems, WiLL low and behold my son had his surgery whom is NOW 21...

Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM

My son finally got his surgery done at the age of 21, hey better late then NEVER, he was in a lot of pain, but he says it was will worth the wait...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Yes, my son underwent the Nuss procedure just this past November of 2011 at the age of 21 he was in excruciating pain, but i reminded him "pain is temporary the results are forever". he got the procedure done on 11/10 but was complaining of chest pains the following night, and his pediatric surgeon came to check on him the next morning and ordered xrays where he Dr told us that the bar shifted and he had to undergo surgery again on 11/14.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Thank you..

Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 474 times
My son should be having this procedure soon if the insurance approves. (Keeping my fingers crossed) To those who have already experienced it, have there been any complications and what has it been like for the patient since the surgery? Should i be worried about a high level of pain for my son?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio