Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 AM

355 posts, read 1,374,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA08 View Post
Hmmm...I've only been here 18 mos. & though I don't have a super busy social schedule (kiddos to keep me hoppin') We've had no problems making friends.

Also, maybe I'm oblivious to things? But I don't think so, I've lived in many large cities so I am not just coming out of a cave. I have walked around near downtown at night (river walk / Magik theater area) with my child & felt perfectly safe. Of course we won't talk about our walk by the park that is near the Children's Museum But overall, I don't think the city is that bad downtown.

Anyway, I have to say to the OP...if it's that bad, it's time to find a place where you'll be happy. Maybe it starts in the mirror? Anyway, whatever you do - best of luck.
I walk past travis park all the time. I never noticed anything wrong with it. Never even thought about it. Is it t the bus riders that scare you? or the homeless people that gather in the center? maybe the homeless people are abit of a problem after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 AM

14 posts, read 47,577 times
I wonder if she's reading these. I have a few friends who were transplants. One of my very best friends is a Japanese woman who married one of our airforce men. He's also one of my very best friends, too! She is studying chemistry and biology at UTSA so she's always meeting new people, both American and otherwise, and she tends to bring her foreign friends over to meet me-I guess she knows I'm always happy to meet new people. I've made a couple of good friends that way.

So, I think it's all in who you meet, no matter where you go. Small city, big city, "cosmopolitain city" (not that I would think Dallas is any Chicago, but hey). You just have to meet quality people, and that's always a wild chance.

A few days ago I asked for ideas on how my mother, in her 50's, might find some social groups. In her case, it's not her nationality, but her age. She's still looking for a job, so she doesn't know anyone but my family and one other couple. I have a lot of good acquaintances and a few close friends, I met most of them through a wedding planning website when I was engaged. I will say I don't tend to meet people on my own really-I own my own small business so it's not like I work in a big company where I can easily make friends, and then I'm always busy with my family. So I know it's not always easy to make friends, but I think it takes effort no matter who you are.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 AM

33 posts, read 49,198 times
All I can say is that all of these replies to this original post make me look forward to moving to SA next year!

I'm American with an European husband and two small girls. Can I hijack this thread and ask advice on where to live in SA?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
I walk past travis park all the time. I never noticed anything wrong with it. Never even thought about it. Is it t the bus riders that scare you? or the homeless people that gather in the center? maybe the homeless people are abit of a problem after all.
To me, the scariest thing in that park is the statue in the center (just a little joke)

BTW, I always use the metered parking at Travis Park when I go to the Kids Museum (1 block away)

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 13,399 times
Thank you for all people messages.

I am not who are don't have friends ,I have a quality friends.
It is just my American friend explained to me why it is not such easy to find friends here.
I mean in San Antonio.She also had problems here compare to Dallas.

Part to it to find a good quality friend with similar interests . Or sincere friend.
People who came from same educational level .Or closer to you level.

I heard from all american people whom I know that SA city where a small level statistically educated people compare Austin.

SA in just military city.
That it.
Yes ,down town should be a tourist destination.
SA it is just too many young people or people about 55-60 or retired.
Because we don't have a very much international business you can't compare NY Dallas and another bigger cities.This is most resort life style city.
That I wanted to say on this site.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM

I did spent 15 years here.
I don not consider friends people who like to talk and that it.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I'm confused. Are you saying that you're in San Antonio now? If you are, welcome to the USA and to San Antonio!
I was once married to a foreign man who liked San Antonio and got to know quite a few Americans, some as friends. He also had friends from his country and other countries after he moved here. Of course, he was a real friendly guy who liked talking to others. He eventually decided to live in San Antonio permanently. I also lived for several years in his country and experienced the problems of being a foreigner far from home. The problems are very similar, believe me. Yes, it can be hard to make many friends when you don't speak the language very well. And when the customs are very different, people can be unwilling to accept a foreigner...I experienced that in the country where I lived for those few years. When I was overseas, it was very nice to spend time with other Americans overseas...it helps with homesickness. It was also interesting to learn about another country, and meet people who were lived very differently than we do over here. There are good people everywhere who don't judge others by their accents, you just need to find them. It takes time.
I've never lived in Dallas, so can't help you there. San Antonio is a good city and many foreigners do like it there. I knew quite a few while I lived in San Antonio. I choose to live out in the countryside nowadays, away from the city, because I just don't enjoy city life like I did when I was younger. And because the city is getting so big and crowded...my preference is for quiet country living.
i am agree with you.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilian View Post
i am agree with you.

What I feel that people expect to live in your own community here.
and they talk with you and finish.
My husband not really social I brought more people in our house and he some.But now all my Amer friends are going to relocate.
Thanks for similar thoughts.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 PM

There are now like but when I grow up we didn't have drug users .
And I who lived in poor area in overseas.and in fact visited this year that poor area with drug users and alcoholics also.There re no snobbery in my statement.
But our tourist area is nice and all troubled areas
in suburbs wher you are Amercians scare to go actually and I who are walking there,
not your tourists.
My American husband didin't like it but loved center of the capital not saburbs wher actually poor people live.If you are never was overseas just go and look.
So that why I think let SA downtown to be nice for the tourist of the other countries as you expect Americans visit similar areas for pleasure look and safe enjoyment.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Not me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio