U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM

7,646 posts, read 8,092,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
cool. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread, we are inches away from choosing direct tv
Do it and dont look back.

And go here and register. DIRECTV General Discussion - DBSTalk.Com

Anything you could possibly think of asking can be found here. There is also a section on DISH if you are exploring that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 PM

898 posts, read 2,553,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Do it and dont look back.

And go here and register. DIRECTV General Discussion - DBSTalk.Com

Anything you could possibly think of asking can be found here. There is also a section on DISH if you are exploring that.
very nice link. thank you very much for posting that

Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM

107 posts, read 246,090 times
for those still clinging to time warner be it willingly or not, be sure to read the fine print and get confirmation from someone. on my last mailer it says tw can automatically renew your contract for up to two seperate two year cycles at their discretion if you do not actively notify them of your wish to cancel. theyre getting so darned sneaky nowadays.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM

56 posts, read 104,298 times
I called and canceled TWC yesterday and they about gave me the farm to try and get me to stay. I told them that I have called twice and gone to a local store another 2 times since the beginning of the year seeking a better rate and/or service. I told her it is too little too late. I told them I had DirecTV installed and I would never leave to come back. She apologized and said that she wished I would have called her, that she could have gotten me to stay. Wow, that is a line if I've ever heard one.
She did give me internet and phone for $60 a month, which isn't bad. I am going to switch to AT&T though just to get away, I don't care if its more either. For a company to only offer to help when you want to leave, pathetic. I went back through my bills, they raised the price $74 a month on me over the past 13 months. Shame on me for staying so long.
Anyways, still loving my DirecTV. The new multi room viewing is totally awesome and I love scheduling shows to record from my iPhone. Anyone thinking of switching, just do it. You will not regret it one tiny bit!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy1022 View Post
I went back through my bills, they raised the price $74 a month on me over the past 13 months.
Ive been with Directv since 2001 and my bill has gone up $25 total in those 9 years.

I am going to be adding two more receivers soon (total of 4) as my wife has been drooling over multi-room viewing since we beta tested it a few months ago. Need to upgrade the tv's in the bedrooms first.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 PM

56 posts, read 104,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Ive been with Directv since 2001 and my bill has gone up $25 total in those 9 years.

I am going to be adding two more receivers soon (total of 4) as my wife has been drooling over multi-room viewing since we beta tested it a few months ago. Need to upgrade the tv's in the bedrooms first.
I couldn't believe it either. I did get a good initial rate when I moved to my house that I am out now. But I was paying between $28-$30 a month in taxes, mostly cable taxes that I won't have now with satellite. Then my 2 HD DVRs were another $45, rental fee and DVR service fee. They claim free HD, but charge the hell out of you for other stuff. That is absurd for how bad they were. My last bill went up $8 alone.

You should change receivers to the new HR 24 and H 24s. I have 2 and 1. Super fast, really sleek looking. MRV works seamlessly. The new receivers are lightyears ahead of anything else I have ever seen (DISH, TWC, UVerse).

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,159,284 times
Dish and DirecTV are required to collect Texas State Sales Taxes on all products and services sold to Texas residents, including monthly subscription fees. They don't collect local taxes, however; and there are no franchise fees.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy1022 View Post
I couldn't believe it either. I did get a good initial rate when I moved to my house that I am out now. But I was paying between $28-$30 a month in taxes, mostly cable taxes that I won't have now with satellite. Then my 2 HD DVRs were another $45, rental fee and DVR service fee. They claim free HD, but charge the hell out of you for other stuff. That is absurd for how bad they were. My last bill went up $8 alone.

You should change receivers to the new HR 24 and H 24s. I have 2 and 1. Super fast, really sleek looking. MRV works seamlessly. The new receivers are lightyears ahead of anything else I have ever seen (DISH, TWC, UVerse).
I am not giving up my HR20-700 for anything. That receiver has widely been considered their best and most stable box. The one bad thing with Directv is when you add boxes you dont get a choice of what they send you. There are two ways to do MRV and I will be doing mine over wireless network like my current two are. Since I am not changing to DECA I wont really have a choice as to what I get.

Also my last bill had $9.03 in taxes.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
so far so good?
Yes. The picture quality alone puts TW to shame. Granted, I don't watch much TV, but the Celtics/Lakers game on DirectTV was so crisp and I forgot just how GREEN the Celtics' jerseys are. Very easy-to-use remote, too. They came and did the install on Weds. and yes, I have a dish on top of my house, but I STILL have a TW box in my side yard and there is constantly a repairman out there. Thankfully they are no longer fixing mine.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM

898 posts, read 2,553,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes. The picture quality alone puts TW to shame. Granted, I don't watch much TV, but the Celtics/Lakers game on DirectTV was so crisp and I forgot just how GREEN the Celtics' jerseys are. Very easy-to-use remote, too. They came and did the install on Weds. and yes, I have a dish on top of my house, but I STILL have a TW box in my side yard and there is constantly a repairman out there. Thankfully they are no longer fixing mine.
o.k. here's my situation, I went to the direct tv site, and saw a deal where my bill would be about the same as yours, you said 57 bucks a month correct? well i have internet through TW, and its 44 bucks, so it adds up to about the same price we are paying now. so my parents decided to stay with TW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio