Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:32 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
pretty cool, but my Internet speed definitely took a hit

lots of nice features, though, although I thought you could pause and rewind on all TVs and you can't
tell me more--- we are just about to switch to ATT as well, but I dont know if I want to deal with slower internet speed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:06 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
... the simple phone call to get them to not change my phone number didn't work and it took 7 different people to figure that out.
A couple of things I learned when I was investigating the possibility of changing my landline service from AT&T to another provider & keeping my existing number as opposed to having a new number assigned:

1. It would delay the installation of service at my house.

2. The times/dates that the service could be installed would be more limited.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
well, I was maxing out around 22-24 mbps and now I can't even get 6. Most people wouldn't have a problem with 6, but I kinda like the average more around 20.. You pay out the wazoo for that kinda speed with at&t, though.
I decided to get a new number as that will get rid of some annoying callers. That John Wayne place keeps calling me and asking if I want any work done even though I have made it VERY clear that I do not want them to call me again. Like I'll ever do business with someone that constantly bothers me even though I tell them to stop

Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,746 times
How long did it take from the time you called AT&T to the the time they actuallly came and set you up? We called them on Saturday and were told that someone would call us back.....I cant WAIT to call Time Warner and tell them they are fired!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 PM

417 posts, read 982,607 times
I don't have any issues with Time Warner. Techs are personable. Customer support has resolved any issues I've had over the phone. I haven't had any issues with service. I have had one short down time but that was due to an accident (not their fault) but the service was up real quick.

U-verse is ok unless you need to speak with someone. Good luck with that.

I've never used Grande.

I've never had dish.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
How long did it take from the time you called AT&T to the the time they actuallly came and set you up? We called them on Saturday and were told that someone would call us back.....I cant WAIT to call Time Warner and tell them they are fired!!!!!!!!!
I would do it all online if I was you. The price I got was Internet only and that included the free install and $400 Visa card. I filled out the form on a Saturday and they installed it the next Saturday. My one experience with calling them was an exercise in frustration, but luckily I had plenty of time to kill.

Here is a quick review of my first few days. My major issue is the lack of a clock on the box. I guess we were really used to it because it not being there is driving us crazy. It's not a deal breaker, but it sure is strange that they didn't include one. I also miss the caller ID on the TV and am disappointed that you can't rewind each TV. They don't say you can, but when I heard you could watch and record on different TVs, I guess I assumed you could. The guy said they are working on it and I hope they figure out a way to do it. That was a feature I really wanted.
I do like how fast the response is to channel changes, especially from SD to HD. There is no lag at all. The small picture you get when scrolling between channels looking for something is a nice feature and I know there are a lot of features I have not looked at yet. The guy gave me a quicky tour of it and it definitely makes TWC service look really old and lacking in features.
We also had an issue with the box turning on around 1:00 AM this morning and the light was freaking super bright. I put tape on the box to cover the little light that stays on 24/7 (another stupid feature), but it didn't cover the two big lights. I don't know if it was updating or what, but it would not turn off with the remote, so I had to kill it at the power strip. That was pretty annoying.

edit- just got what would be my next TWC bill in the mail and it went from $174.71 to $241.70. Yeah, ********* TWC! I know a continuation of the price lock would have only allowed them to increase it $5, but that's still just rude. Almost $70 for no additional services.

Last edited by rd2007; 12-28-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM

Just discovered a new U-Verse feature... you can listen to voice mail online and that includes the voice mail of the person that had the phone number before you and this person was apparently having financial issues, which sucks because they're still trying to collect on her.
I really don't see that as a good feature, though, and they should delete the history that was there before you had the phone number. It also includes some phone numbers of people that called this person and the voice mail tells me her name. They really should wait a while before reusing a phone number.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
They really should wait a while before reusing a phone number.
Yeah. when I was assigned the phone number I currently have quite a few years ago, I discovered the then-current telephone book still had that number listed under the name of the person it was previously assigned to.

I made the discovery after receiving numerous calls asking for the same individual, who it turns out was previously assigned my number.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,630 times
Quote:
well, I was maxing out around 22-24 mbps and now I can't even get 6. Most people wouldn't have a problem with 6, but I kinda like the average more around 20.. You pay out the wazoo for that kinda speed with at&t, though.
I decided to get a new number as that will get rid of some annoying callers. That John Wayne place keeps calling me and asking if I want any work done even though I have made it VERY clear that I do not want them to call me again. Like I'll ever do business with someone that constantly bothers me even though I tell them to stop
You should be easily get more than 6 if you are on a faster than 6 package. I have been easily getting 11+ on the 12 meg package. There might still be troubles with your line.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 AM

I'm on the "elite" package, which is only 6, but I have yet to actually get 6. This is my latest and at this time of day it should about max out at what I pay for (6).

and the box in my bedroom is dead already. Not off to a very good start. Hopefully they have service centers like TWC where you can swap the box out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio